News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Why does NCDOT not use Charlotte as the control city at the I-26 US 74 junction? It instead uses two tiny towns, one not even on US 74.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

sprjus4

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 09, 2020, 09:19:52 AM
Why does NCDOT not use Charlotte as the control city at the I-26 US 74 junction? It instead uses two tiny towns, one not even on US 74.
That's North Carolina for you.

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 09, 2020, 01:14:19 PM
That's North Carolina for you.

At least we're not Pennsylvania  :sombrero:
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

LM117

Same reason they don't use Wilmington as a control city at the I-795/US-264 split in Wilson. It makes too much sense.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

cowboy_wilhelm

I believe the towns (Forest City and Rutherfordton) referenced on the sign pre-date US 74 being re-routed and completed in Polk and Rutherford counties in '94 and NCDOT hasn't bothered updating it, even though the overhead signs were replaced roughly a decade ago from lighted to reflective (likely a copy and paste). From '76 to '94 you had to exit at NC 108 or NC 9. The new westbound Exit 66 to US 74 uses Forest City and Shelby. One could also argue that the eastbound exit should now be updated to Exit 66 and not Exit 67. They could have updated the eastbound exit during the recent interchange project to match the westbound exit, but that would have required too much thought.

adwerkema

On Youtube today, I came across an ad by the Army National Guard. In the ad, members of the National Guard are shown helping rescue people from flooding (presumably from Hurricane Florence). The ad mislabels the area as Houston, TX.

I was trying to figure out exactly where this video was taken. Can anyone find this intersection on Google Maps street view?

amroad17

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on June 09, 2020, 05:57:57 PM

I believe the towns (Forest City and Rutherfordton) referenced on the sign pre-date US 74 being re-routed and completed in Polk and Rutherford counties in '94 and NCDOT hasn't bothered updating it, even though the overhead signs were replaced roughly a decade ago from lighted to reflective (likely a copy and paste). From '76 to '94 you had to exit at NC 108 or NC 9. The new westbound Exit 66 to US 74 uses Forest City and Shelby. One could also argue that the eastbound exit should now be updated to Exit 66 and not Exit 67. They could have updated the eastbound exit during the recent interchange project to match the westbound exit, but that would have required too much thought.
I-26 EB does have two separate auxiliary signs--one for Gardner-Webb University and Charlotte, the other for Tryon and Shelby--before reaching Exit 67.  However, the control cities should be updated to Forest City and Shelby instead of Columbus and Rutherfordton.  Charlotte can still be on an auxiliary sign for that interchange.

This is one of the "negatives" with DOTs.  Too much carbon copying and not enough updating.

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

sprjus4

Quote from: amroad17 on June 10, 2020, 12:57:46 AM

I-26 EB does have two separate auxiliary signs--one for Gardner-Webb University and Charlotte, the other for Tryon and Shelby--before reaching Exit 67.  However, the control cities should be updated to Forest City and Shelby instead of Columbus and Rutherfordton.  Charlotte can still be on an auxiliary sign for that interchange.

This is one of the "negatives" with DOTs.  Too much carbon copying and not enough updating.
Charlotte should definitely be a main control city, not just an auxiliary sign.

Shelby or Gastonia / Charlotte - control cities

Rutherfordton / Forest City - auxiliary signage

Columbus isn't even needed for the freeway mainline. Exit 67 on I-26 and Exit 163 on US-74.

Likewise, going westbound, the exit off I-85 should list Shelby / Asheville instead of Kings Mountain / Shelby.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 10, 2020, 02:54:10 AM
Quote from: amroad17 on June 10, 2020, 12:57:46 AM

Charlotte should definitely be a main control city, not just an auxiliary sign.

Shelby or Gastonia / Charlotte - control cities

Rutherfordton / Forest City - auxiliary signage

Columbus isn't even needed for the freeway mainline. Exit 67 on I-26 and Exit 163 on US-74.

Likewise, going westbound, the exit off I-85 should list Shelby / Asheville instead of Kings Mountain / Shelby.

The problem is that until late 2018 you had two interchanges in one. Westbound I-26 now has two separate interchanges for NC 108 and US 74. Westbound was previously signed as Exit 67 NC 108 Columbus/Tryon TO East US 74. Now there are two separate exits, 67 and 66. Eastbound is still one exit, Exit 67 East US 74 TO NC 108 Columbus/Rutherfordton. Eastbound Exit 67 is a continuation of US 74 and should be updated to Exit 66. Prior to the early 90's, this was not US 74 and only a short bypass of Columbus and was (and still) the eastbound exit from I-26 to NC 108/Columbus. Technically, the eastbound ramp to NC 108 should be an exit from US 74, but the westbound US 74 Exit 161 is I-26 East to NC 108 Tryon/Spartanburg. NCDOT also treats the eastbound exit to US 74 as a ramp ("Ramp A") and not a mainline freeway, which was compounded when they narrowed eastbound US 74 to a one lane ramp to make room for the new ramp from I-26 west.

They should update it to a two-lane exit at the same time, but not sure if that will happen now with the one-lane ramp beyond the exit.

You still need some sort of sign on I-26 east referencing Exit 67 and NC 108 Columbus/Tryon. Can you have two exit numbers at one interchange?

I suspect there will be updates if/when the Shelby Bypass is completed.

Mr. ENC

Quote from: adwerkema on June 10, 2020, 12:00:07 AM
On Youtube today, I came across an ad by the Army National Guard. In the ad, members of the National Guard are shown helping rescue people from flooding (presumably from Hurricane Florence). The ad mislabels the area as Houston, TX.

I was trying to figure out exactly where this video was taken. Can anyone find this intersection on Google Maps street view?

I need some time to find it, but that is definitely in Wilmington.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: Mr. ENC on June 10, 2020, 08:42:09 AM
Quote from: adwerkema on June 10, 2020, 12:00:07 AM

I need some time to find it, but that is definitely in Wilmington.

Or it's a commercial. I don't think they film those during hurricanes. That low overhead assembly would put the 11'8" bridge to shame and is probably a prop. Could two cars even pass under it? Also, aren't signalized intersections supposed to have two signal heads?

It's likely an acknowledgment by the National Guard of two big storms (Harvey and Florence), or someone in production wanted to send a shout-out to Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach.

Roadsguy

That's almost certainly not an actual intersection, but it could be some kind of other control for a drawbridge or something. Even then, I agree that it's weird that there's only one signal for each direction.

It seems the only place that that sign could exist (with westbound US 76 signed primarily and US 17 and 74 signed indirectly) is the short solo section of US 76 after it and US 74 split near Wrightsville Beach. I couldn't find it with a quick check, though; there's nowhere that weird gantry could be.

It also seems weird that NCDOT would place the primarily signed route last after two other routes reached indirectly, but I don't know all the edge cases to NCDOT signage, so they may have done that a few times.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

adwerkema

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on June 10, 2020, 08:43:04 PM
Or it's a commercial. I don't think they film those during hurricanes. That low overhead assembly would put the 11'8" bridge to shame and is probably a prop. Could two cars even pass under it? Also, aren't signalized intersections supposed to have two signal heads?

It's likely an acknowledgment by the National Guard of two big storms (Harvey and Florence), or someone in production wanted to send a shout-out to Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach.

Agreed, this does appear to be a prop. Glad the National Guard actually spent time researching routes before making the prop.

Mapmikey

Quote from: adwerkema on June 10, 2020, 11:22:05 PM

Agreed, this does appear to be a prop. Glad the National Guard actually spent time researching routes before making the prop.

Height isn't an issue - they are on a flooded street.  Width on the other hand...

Another potential location could've been downtown where until recently US 17 wasn't posted there and US 76 is on one-way splits (e.g. 5th NB or Front St SB at the ramp to the bridge).  But the dead giveaway after some searching is that Wilmington strings their stoplights (or has a handful of painted one-sided) masts so the only place a signal might be on a gantry like that would be a drawbridge.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 11, 2020, 06:29:52 AM
Quote from: adwerkema on June 10, 2020, 11:22:05 PM

Height isn't an issue - they are on a flooded street.  Width on the other hand...

Another potential location could've been downtown where until recently US 17 wasn't posted there and US 76 is on one-way splits (e.g. 5th NB or Front St SB at the ramp to the bridge).  But the dead giveaway after some searching is that Wilmington strings their stoplights (or has a handful of painted one-sided) masts so the only place a signal might be on a gantry like that would be a drawbridge.

Sure, if it was 10 feet deep. There are low shrubs sticking out of the water behind the signs, and his helmet is barely going to clear the signal. How high are signals?

LM117

Related to the I-440 improvements project, there will be a traffic shift on eastbound Wade Avenue this weekend.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-06-12-eastbound-wade-ave-traffic-shift.aspx
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

cowboy_wilhelm

These would be my choices. I'm still not sure about the two exit numbers for one exit, and I don't expect the two-lane exit will ever happen. That would make too much sense and be too convenient.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on June 12, 2020, 04:14:16 PM
These would be my choices. I'm still not sure about the two exit numbers for one exit, and I don't expect the two-lane exit will ever happen. That would make too much sense and be too convenient.

No Charlotte on the signs?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 12, 2020, 06:53:21 PM

It's NCDOT. Putting Charlotte on the signs would make too much sense.
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

CanesFan27

Sadly, as a result of budget shortfalls NCDOT is halting operations on two of its three inland river ferries.  These small cable pulled ferries are relics to the past and crossings at some of these sites date to the 1800s.  The two northeastern North Carolina ferries - Sans Souci and Parkers - will shut down.  The Elwell Ferry over the Cape Fear River in Bladen County will remain in operation.

https://www.wral.com/the-very-last-ride-dot-cuts-mean-end-to-two-cable-ferries-in-eastern-nc/19142481/?fbclid=IwAR0taDKs6o1lsdm2-ex1M1nrlxdWU6GesflftHxoRlPNjMA5y1quA77x6Gw

I have features on all three inland ferries:
Parkers: http://carolinaxroads.blogspot.com/2017/01/parkers-ferry.html
Sans Souci: http://carolinaxroads.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-second-cable-ferry-in-north.html
Elwell: http://carolinaxroads.blogspot.com/2016/07/elwell-ferry.html

Alex

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on June 12, 2020, 07:03:17 PM
*snip*

The TO is not needed either since it's also a direct ramp for NC 108.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: Alex on June 14, 2020, 12:42:04 AM
Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on June 12, 2020, 07:03:17 PM
*snip*

The TO is not needed either since it's also a direct ramp for NC 108.

That interchange is/was a mess. I-26 westbound used to not even list any towns on US 74, you just had to know to take the exit, go through the roundabout and cross NC 108. Exit 161 on US 74 westbound has always been signed as East I-26 TO NC 108, even though the ramp led directly to NC 108 before you could take the ramp from NC 108 to I-26 east. It works now that the interchange project has been completed. There used to be a LOT of confused drivers in those roundabouts.

Is it common to have signs that tell drivers to get in the left lane for no reason? It is applicable now that US 74 has been narrowed to a one-lane ramp, but it didn't make sense before 2018 when it was still a two-lane freeway.

cowboy_wilhelm

Progress on the westbound/outbound Wade Avenue bridge over I-440.

froggie

^ Isn't the trail bridge you took those photos from due to be replaced as part of the interchange project?

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: froggie on June 15, 2020, 12:52:29 PM
^ Isn't the trail bridge you took those photos from due to be replaced as part of the interchange project?

I don't think so. It's not shown as being replaced on the public meeting map from last year, and all new lanes should fit under the existing structure.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.