News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Toys 'R' Us to file bankruptcy

Started by LM117, September 18, 2017, 08:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 19, 2021, 09:33:40 PM
The Toys R Us near us was divided into a furniture store and an Aldi.

Ours is now an Aldi as well.  It's now the closest Aldi to us, so that's one of the stores we regularly shop at.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

WillWeaverRVA

All the Toys 'R' Us stores in the Richmond, VA area remain vacant. The one on Quioccasin Road in Henrico County is currently being gutted and renovated, though, so it seems likely the building will have a new tenant soon.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

LM117

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on August 20, 2021, 11:09:46 AM
All the Toys 'R' Us stores in the Richmond, VA area remain vacant. The one on Quioccasin Road in Henrico County is currently being gutted and renovated, though, so it seems likely the building will have a new tenant soon.

The one here in Danville became a Big Lots. When Big Lots first announced that they were taking over the building, I thought they were just gonna relocate from their existing location near Walmart Neighborhood Market on Nor-Dan Drive, but they kept that store open as well. I can't think of any other small city that has 2 Big Lots stores.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

cpzilliacus

The Toys R Us warehouse at 209 Geoffrey Way, Frederick, Maryland near the interchange of I-270 and MD-85 has been converted to a Kroger warehouse.  Which is interesting since there are no Kroger stores in the state (Kroger subsidiary Harris Teeter has a small presence in the state). 

Apparently they will use this locations to fulfill cyber orders and does not need to be near a brick-and-mortar location.

WTOP radio report from 2020 here.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kkt

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 28, 2021, 12:01:39 AM
The Toys R Us warehouse in Frederick, Maryland near the interchange of I-270 and MD-85 has been converted to a Kroger warehouse.  Which is interesting since there are no Kroger stores in the state (Kroger subsidiary Harris Teeter has a small presence in the state).  Apparently they will use this locations to fulfill cyber orders.

Kinda surprised they'd use a high-tax state to fill cyber orders.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: kkt on September 28, 2021, 12:03:20 AM
The Toys R Us warehouse in Frederick, Maryland near the interchange of I-270 and MD-85 has been converted to a Kroger warehouse.  Which is interesting since there are no Kroger stores in the state (Kroger subsidiary Harris Teeter has a small presence in the state).  Apparently they will use this locations to fulfill cyber orders.

Which taxes?

By some metrics, New Jersey has some of the highest taxes in the U.S.  yet there are many, many warehouses there (including dozens along the Turnpike north of Exit 6).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Takumi

The company is alive and well in South Africa.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

GCrites

Businesspeople say "Location, Location, Location" far more than they say "Taxes, Taxes, Taxes.

Scott5114

Quote from: kkt on September 28, 2021, 12:03:20 AM

The only tax that matters here would be whether Maryland levies property taxes on inventory or not. For a business the size of Kroger, the sales taxes are calculated based on where the customer lives, not where the warehouse is.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GCrites

Yes inventory tax varies state by state. Ohio used to have inventory tax until about 2008. Federal inventory tax is 25% of wholesale cost as valued on January 1st of each year IIRC. An advantage for many retailers since they are often wiped out on January 1st but not Kroger so much since Christmas doesn't wipe them out very badly and their inventory needs to stay fairly steady the entire year.

LM117

kevinb1994

Quote from: LM117 on December 02, 2021, 08:12:07 AM
A new flagship store will open later this month at American Dream in East Rutherford, NJ.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/toysrus-opening-global-flagship-at-american-dream-301435070.html
Hoorah! Maybe I'll visit next year or in 2023. I've yet to visit the mall, BTW.

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

roadman65

Also Macy's stores are selling Toys R Us toys this Christmas Season as well.

Macy's must have deal with them of some sort.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kevinb1994

Quote from: roadman65 on December 02, 2021, 12:16:00 PM

Yes, to compete with Amazon. Amazon tried to advertise on the exterior of the flagship store of Macy's (the Herald Square location), but that hasn't gone over well.

ET21

Yeah that's our local Toys R Us pitch
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

WillWeaverRVA

Yeah, it's a "store-within-a-store" deal. Of course, Macy's isn't doing particularly hot at the moment either.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

triplemultiplex

Can't wait for the Amazon Thanksgiving Day Parade in 2025.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

LM117

kkt

Wow, I didn't realize Macy's OR Toys R Us still existed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.