Rugby is NOT the geographic center of North America

Started by usends, November 30, 2022, 07:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

After reading a comment in the Grand Forks North Dakota road meet thread, it occurred to me that some of you might be interested in knowing that Rugby ND, which has long proclaimed itself to be the geographic center of North America, is actually... not.  In 2016 it was determined that the true center is about 100 miles away, in the town of -- I kid you not -- Center ND.  But the town has christened the site with a slightly different name, allowing Rugby to keep its historic claim to fame.  Full article
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

thspfc

It always blows my mind that the center is that far north. ND is one of the US's northernmost states, Mexico is not small, and then there's all the Central American nations south of there. Canada and Alaska are massive.

mgk920

Quote from: thspfc on November 30, 2022, 08:40:00 PM
It always blows my mind that the center is that far north. ND is one of the US's northernmost states, Mexico is not small, and then there's all the Central American nations south of there. Canada and Alaska are massive.

Is Mexico (et al) considered to be 'North America' for this purpose?

Mike

hbelkins

Quote from: mgk920 on November 30, 2022, 09:50:57 PM
Quote from: thspfc on November 30, 2022, 08:40:00 PM

Is Mexico (et al) considered to be 'North America' for this purpose?

Mike

Yes.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kkt

Yes, I think geographically North America begins at the Isthmus of Panama.  But Central America is a thin triangle of land compared to massive northern Canada and Alaska.

Road Hog

How do they figure this? Cut out a map of North America in plywood and see where it balances on a shaft of some sort?

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Road Hog on December 14, 2022, 04:25:01 AM
How do they figure this? Cut out a map of North America in plywood and see where it balances on a shaft of some sort?
Trigonometry.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hotdogPi

How are the islands of Northern Canada counted where it's often ambiguous whether it's ice or land, and it changes depending on time of year?

Also, football is the geographic center of North America.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

dlsterner

Quote from: Road Hog on December 14, 2022, 04:25:01 AM

Although I suspect that in reality it is computationally determined, your method would be valid.  Hang your plywood map from on of its corners.  The geographic center should be on the plumb line.  This should be true for all hang points - all the plumb lines would intersect at the geographic center.

You could even expand on this by gluing weights onto the map at population centers - the weight amount being proportional to the city population.  As long as the weight of the plywood doesn't overwhelm the city weights, you could - in theory - use the same method as above to approximate the population center.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.