News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Remember when __ was __? (1 roadgeek + 1 non-)

Started by kphoger, December 28, 2022, 09:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

1.  Remember when FYAs were something everyone, including on this forum, hated?

Now it seems like most people are in favor of them.  The hatred has shifted from the FYA to the HAWK instead.

2.  Remember when Amazon was an online bookstore?

As I type this post, I'm wearing a pair of pants made by Amazon.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

74/171FAN

A couple ones for Virginia Tech fans.

1.  Remember when there was still a stoplight on US 460 at Southgate Dr (VA 314) instead of an interchange.

I doubt any freshmen going to VT now can even imagine that there was a signal there as late as five years ago.

2.  Remember when Virginia Tech was good at football.

:banghead:
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Remember when CA 99 was an expressway with at-grade intersections between Merced-Chowchilla until 2016?

Remember when there was a handful of new cars available for under 10k a couple years ago?

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on December 28, 2022, 03:09:16 PM

Now it seems like most people are in favor of them.  The hatred has shifted from the FYA to the HAWK instead.

I never hated FYAs.  I will fight every HAWK installation I can, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kkt

Made by, or sold by?

kphoger

Quote from: kkt on December 28, 2022, 04:19:36 PM

Made by, or sold by?

Made by.  They are Amazon Essentials brand.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

Quote from: kphoger on December 28, 2022, 04:30:01 PM

Made by, or sold by?

Amazon Essentials might be my favorite pants brand. Not only are they more affordable than other brands, I also find them quite comfortable.

vegas1962

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 28, 2022, 01:47:43 PM
When we go to hockey games I often wonder how people who don't have smartphones get in.

My co-worker has a partial season-ticket package for the Detroit Red Wings, and she steadfastly (and pridefully) refuses to give up her flip phone. She had to badger her ticket rep to issue her tickets on paper for the entire season.  The ticket rep got her back by refusing to mail them and making her come downtown to the arena ticket office to pick them up.

hbelkins

Remember when cars had bias-ply tires instead of radials? (OK, this might be stretching the roadgeek aspect of it).

Remember when home residential telephones had party lines?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Remember when I-95 in the Richmond area had tolls and sequential exit numbers?

Remember when restaurants had smoking sections?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on December 28, 2022, 04:30:01 PM

Made by, or sold by?

That doesn't necessarily mean they made them, though.

According to this, which is admittedly from 2019, Amazon Essentials clothing seems to be manufactured in a number of contracted factories in Antananarivo.

Still, I suppose it could just be the difference between "made for" and "made by."
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: vegas1962 on December 28, 2022, 04:48:44 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 28, 2022, 01:47:43 PM
When we go to hockey games I often wonder how people who don't have smartphones get in.

My co-worker has a partial season-ticket package for the Detroit Red Wings, and she steadfastly (and pridefully) refuses to give up her flip phone. She had to badger her ticket rep to issue her tickets on paper for the entire season.  The ticket rep got her back by refusing to mail them and making her come downtown to the arena ticket office to pick them up.

Did it for years and years as a Hartford Whalers season ticket holding family and paper tickets, so smartphones were never an option.  My dad did bring the tickets to the wrong game once, and we were denied entry. Wasn't the worst thing that happened that night to me.  I had to witness the whole Bill Buckner sequence a few hours later.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman65

I remember when tolls on the Garden State Parkway were a quarter.

I remember the NJ Turnpike was $ 2.70 end to end.

I remember the PA/NYNJ charged $4 in the eighties.
The Queens- Midtown Tunnel was $2.25 in 1987.

I remember the Fuller Warren Bridge on I-95 in Jacksonville had a 20 cents toll to cross it.

I remember I-78 ended in Watchung at Drift Road with the signs on I-287 in Bedminster signing the EB exit for I-78 as Local Traffic and not I-78 to keep through traffic off the road.

I remember the Phillipsburg-Easton Toll Bridge was only a nickel on US 22.

I remember the old text signs on the PA Turnpike still signing Willow Grove as US 611 in 1982.  Plus Willow Hill was signed as Route 75 and not PA 75. Hagerstown and Chambersburg were both signed as EB control cities for former Exit 14 as:
Chambersburg
Hagerstown
VIA Route 75
on the 1 mile and Next Right Signs.
The 2 mile and at exit guides were:
Route 75
Willow Hill

The Penn Turnpike used exit names on 2 mile and at exit guides and the control cities on 1 mile and next right signs VIA the route numbers. US routes were US x and PA designations were Route x.

PennDOT, ScDOT, and FDOT used Next Right at exit ramps on interstates. Of course now the MUTCD forced them to conform to arrows. Nonetheless some Next Rights still remain in Florida though.

Oh yes and US 209 South for Snydersville on I-80 WB in Stroudsburg, PA was Exit 46S despite Exit 46N was 3 miles away for Bartonsville. That was to keep US 209 uniform  with PA 33 SB going EB as both end up in Snydersville. Plus having no WB Exit 47, keeps both Exit 46s in sequence on the WB side.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

Quote from: Takumi on December 28, 2022, 08:42:10 PM

My mom was working at the Cracker Barrel in Chester when they had to remove theirs by law.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Flint1979

Quote from: webny99 on December 28, 2022, 11:12:50 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 28, 2022, 11:10:49 AM
Remember when Michigan was commonly thought to have the worst roads in the country?

Isn't that still the case? New Mexico is the only state I've consistently heard in the conversation as being as bad or worse.
Not as much anymore but there is still work to do.

Flint1979

Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 28, 2022, 11:21:28 AM
Michigan's roads are still terrible.
According to this list Michigan isn't even on the list.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/us-road-conditions.html

I'd say Michigan is somewhere in the middle.

1995hoo

I remember stopping at a Hardee's in Kenansville, North Carolina, in 1996. That's farming country and there are still some tobacco farmers around. The Hardee's had one table designated as non-smoking, so I sat there. You would have thought I was a toad rapist or something the way the locals looked at me when I sat at that particular table.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 29, 2022, 06:50:19 AM

That link is not Wallethub; therefore, your argument is invalid.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 29, 2022, 09:16:49 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on December 29, 2022, 06:50:19 AM

That link is not Wallethub; therefore, your argument is invalid.

Does the wrath of Wallethubism even extend as far as Michigan?  I thought that was religious movement solely targeted against Wisconsin?

I would say having recently experienced two Hawaiian islands that I would have it in my top ten worst road condition states.  I suppose it comes with the territory when so many roads are beholden (or were) to Federal Aid programs.  Trying to sort out where/when State Highways in Hawaiis exist versus County maintained stock is quite the challenge.  If anything invalidates that list is the omission of New Mexico from the top ten.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 29, 2022, 09:30:30 AM
Does the wrath of Wallethubism even extend as far as Michigan?  I thought that was religious movement solely targeted against Wisconsin?

This is anti-several states, but Michigan is listed:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=30421.msg2749157#msg2749157

Quote from: Crash_It on June 23, 2022, 12:39:01 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 22, 2022, 03:13:03 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 22, 2022, 03:13:03 PM
Since Wallethub is irrefutable, this is not up for debate. 2022's Best & Worst States for Summer Road Trips

2. Minnesota

15. Iowa
16. Michigan
18. Wisconsin

32. Illinois

Sorry. Wallethub has spoken. Illinois is not a premier road trip destination, and Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa are all better. And Illinois is still flat too.

Looks like the costs metric really impacted the overall ranking. If you sort it by activities or even safety...IL beats those other states.

(credit to WolframAlpha for Unix time conversions to get the time right for the quotes, since the thread is locked)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: kurumi on December 28, 2022, 01:35:16 PM
1. Remember when US 1 was red?

2. Remember when Bill Gates was (mainly) reviled by the left and well-regarded by the right?

I've always reviled Bill Gates, regardless. I think you may be mistaking 'liberals' for the left, anyway. Also, Steve Jobs and Tim Cook suck, too. Totally ruined Unix.  :poke:

SectorZ

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 29, 2022, 06:39:19 AM

My mom was working at the Cracker Barrel in Chester when they had to remove theirs by law.

1995 I was working in a Papa Gino's that had to get rid of their smoking section due to a town by-law prohibiting it. I feel most places pre-2000 got rid of smoking sections by law rather than by choice.

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: hbelkins on December 28, 2022, 07:13:32 PM

Remember when home residential telephones had party lines?

In rural PA that was still in effect in the 80's. Also GTE was the phone company at least in Somerset County.

I wonder if anyone remembers nickle pay phones in Louisiana.

skluth

Remember when I-95 in the Richmond area had tolls and sequential exit numbers?

I remember flying when airlines had smoking sections in back. I also remember even earlier when passengers could smoke anywhere on the plane.

Otto Yamamoto

I remember Interstate 5 in southern San Diego County being 4 and 5 lanes south of 24th Street in National City and the wonderful tailends every weekend. There was also a black sign in Spanish indicating H Street as the junction for the Chula Vista Shopping centre, northbound.
There was also a very tall bridge for Palm Avenue over Interstate 5, which was replaced with a lower level crossing in the rebuild in the early 70's

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.