Petition created to merge Dakotas into one state

Started by golden eagle, January 11, 2019, 06:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Quote from: SectorZ on January 19, 2019, 05:13:18 PM
Daniel Tosh tried this as a stunt a bunch of years ago on the Presidential Petition page. It was quickly pulled down. He had these people beat by a long time.

Maybe it was pulled down because the President can't grant petitions relating to statehood. Congress, and the legislatures of any affected states, would have to take the lead, since their consent is required.

Was the Dakota merger petition addressed to (at least) the legislatures of North Dakota and South Dakota? That would be better as a matter of form, unless the proposal was just a joke from the outset.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

vdeane

A president could, however, start a dialog between the states and Congress.  Or just say "it isn't happening" - Obama's policy was that the petition would receive a response, not that it would actually be implemented.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: vdeane on January 19, 2019, 10:58:41 PM
A president could, however, start a dialog between the states and Congress.  Or just say "it isn't happening" - Obama's policy was that the petition would receive a response, not that it would actually be implemented.

A President has no say-so whatsoever when it comes to adding states or proposing Constitutional amendments.  Only the states and Congress have authority in these matters.  In fact, my feeling is that a President would be smart to keep his mouth shut, and have no opinion whatsoever.  His input would be a borderline-impeachable case of Presidential abuse of power.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

jeffandnicole

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on January 19, 2019, 11:22:44 PM

A President has no say-so whatsoever when it comes to adding states or proposing Constitutional amendments.  Only the states and Congress have authority in these matters.  In fact, my feeling is that a President would be smart to keep his mouth shut, and have no opinion whatsoever.  His input would be a borderline-impeachable case of Presidential abuse of power.

This is a media thing. Even if the President says he won't say anything, the media will say "President remains mum on (subject), fueling speculation that he will (make up random idea). Then the public gets all pissed off anyway..

vdeane

A lot of government work, both for elected officials and career civil servants, is convincing someone you have no authority over to do something.  Isn't that the idea of starting a dialog?  To broach the issue with the people who DO have the power to do something?  President Carter had no authority over Israel or Palestine, yet that didn't stop him from inviting the leaders to Camp David.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: vdeane on January 20, 2019, 09:26:33 PM

A lot of government work, both for elected officials and career civil servants, is convincing someone you have no authority over to do something.  Isn't that the idea of starting a dialog?  To broach the issue with the people who DO have the power to do something?  President Carter had no authority over Israel or Palestine, yet that didn't stop him from inviting the leaders to Camp David.

I'd agree with that - even if the president has zero power in making that final decision, why must they be censored and strictly forbidden from making suggestions, or simply coming up with an idea that they think might work best. It doesn't mean they are the one implementing it, or that it actually has to happen (and 99% of the people could even think it was bogus), but as you say, it is simply having a dialogue. Separation of powers is good and essential, and it has been ingrained in the idea of the American government since the Constitution was created - but I don't think that simply making suggestions or talking about these issues is an over-reach of the President's power - I just see it as different parts of the government working together to try to find a solution and a plan. It may be other sections of the government (and not the president) that actually has the power and final-decision-making in this area, but I don't see why they simply can't just discuss it together. I don't care who the president is, I think it might be reasonable for them to at least have that right to simply converse about the topic.

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

hbelkins

I disagree with your opinion that a president shouldn't offer an opinion on public policy matters, and find your "borderline-impeachable" comment laughable and absurd on its face. I think a president has an absolute duty to weigh in on matters up for public debate, even if he or she (and thank God that's not the case right now) has no say-so in the matter, if the president is so inclined.

The House is currently considering the censure of one of its members. Why shouldn't the president say he agrees or disagrees with that decision? Some in the Senate, which has no say whatsoever in the matter, have weighed in.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 20, 2019, 09:37:14 PM
Quote from: vdeane on January 20, 2019, 09:26:33 PM

I'd agree with that - even if the president has zero power in making that final decision, why must they be censored and strictly forbidden from making suggestions, or simply coming up with an idea that they think might work best. It doesn't mean they are the one implementing it, or that it actually has to happen (and 99% of the people could even think it was bogus), but as you say, it is simply having a dialogue. Separation of powers is good and essential, and it has been ingrained in the idea of the American government since the Constitution was created - but I don't think that simply making suggestions or talking about these issues is an over-reach of the President's power - I just see it as different parts of the government working together to try to find a solution and a plan. It may be other sections of the government (and not the president) that actually has the power and final-decision-making in this area, but I don't see why they simply can't just discuss it together. I don't care who the president is, I think it might be reasonable for them to at least have that right to simply converse about the topic.
Yeah, that's my opinion to. The president should sort of be the head guy in the government (but not a dictator), leading the whole thing and giving his/her opinions on important matters. A good president should care about this stuff.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

vdeane

Not to mention that a large part of what presidential candidates promise to do is actually a promise to get Congress to do something for them.  Increasingly, the Congressional agenda is set by the President.  The days of the President being a "chief bureaucrat" who also did foreign policy but left domestic policy to Congress are long gone (not that they every really existed in the first place).

Alps

Please limit discussion of presidential powers to the topic of petitions, nothing about the current administration or any previous ones.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.