Petition created to merge Dakotas into one state

Started by golden eagle, January 11, 2019, 06:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

Quote from: texaskdog on January 12, 2019, 05:32:37 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 11, 2019, 11:06:54 PM
Changing it to East and West Dakota would make more sense IMHO.

How about Legends & Leaders?

Wasn't that the name of the Big Ten divisions when the expanded and split into the two divisions?

Big John

kurumi

One of the historical reasons for admitting the Dakota Territory as 2 states was to get four additional GOP senators instead of two.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

froggie

Quote from: Life in Paradiseand New Hampshire/Vermont

Really?  Hell, I could make an argument that Vermont should be SPLIT 3 ways...not merged.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: froggie on January 12, 2019, 08:28:33 PM

Really?  Hell, I could make an argument that Vermont should be SPLIT 3 ways...not merged.
Split three ways? But Vermont is already the third smallest state.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 12, 2019, 09:32:40 PM
Quote from: froggie on January 12, 2019, 08:28:33 PM

Split three ways? But Vermont is already the third smallest state.

True but, if you go out to dinner with friends at Applebee's, it often makes sense to split the bill three ways.  And a whole state–even Vermont–is much, much bigger than that.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

While we're at it:

1. Give the Florida Panhandle to Alabama.
2. Split California into three states (without splitting metro areas).
3. Give the Upper Peninsula to Wisconsin. (Unlike the others, this change is cosmetic with rare exceptions.)
4. Admit Puerto Rico into the Union.
5. Anything in Illinois north of Chicago becomes part of Wisconsin.
6. Dissolve Idaho by giving it to Washington, Oregon, and Montana – but not too much into Oregon.
7. North Carolina west of Charlotte becomes part of Tennessee.
8. Give the extended Texas Panhandle (basically Lubbock to Wichita Falls) to Oklahoma and everything east of Houston/Tyler/Paris to Louisiana, and then split Texas into two states. Splitting without giving those portions away will have the opposite of the intended effect.
9. Split NYC proper and Long Island from the rest of New York. Yes, this means Yonkers goes into upstate. (This one could backfire even as written, but putting the line farther north would have a greater chance of backfiring.)
10. Create the first majority African-American state from the western half of Mississippi, a bit of Arkansas, and Memphis and immediate suburbs. The rest of Mississippi gets merged into Alabama.

Did I miss anything? (Some of you will figure out what I'm doing with these proposals.)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

oscar

Quote from: 1 on January 12, 2019, 10:45:50 PM
While we're at it:

3. Give the Upper Peninsula to Wisconsin. (Unlike the others, this change is cosmetic with rare exceptions.)
6. Dissolve Idaho by giving it to Washington, Oregon, and Montana — but not too much into Oregon.
8. Give the extended Texas Panhandle (basically Lubbock to Wichita Falls) to Oklahoma and everything east of Houston/Tyler/Paris to Louisiana, and then split Texas into two states. Splitting without giving those portions away will have the opposite of the intended effect.
9. Split NYC proper and Long Island from the rest of New York. Yes, this means Yonkers goes into upstate. (This one could backfire even as written, but putting the line farther north would have a greater chance of backfiring.)
10. Create the first majority African-American state from the western half of Mississippi, a bit of Arkansas, and Memphis and immediate suburbs. The rest of Mississippi gets merged into Alabama.

Did I miss anything? (Some of you will figure out what I'm doing with these proposals.)

Everything except #4, as well as the proposal to merge the Dakotas, will require consent of one or more state legislatures, as well as Congress. Even one of the simpler ones (splitting up California or New York, which would require consent of only one legislature and Congress) has been a tough sell in California lately, as discussed in multiple threads on this forum.

The other one not on your list, but often discussed on this forum (so no need to repeat that discussion here), is returning most or all of the District of Columbia to Maryland. Good luck with pulling that off!
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Scott5114

I used to fantasize about Oklahoma merging into Kansas and having KDOT take over our roads.

The panhandle would look REALLY silly then, though.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SP Cook

Obviously, this is an academic exercise, as there will never be any shifting of state lines, and the difficulty of splitting or merging the 1000 functions of state governments is beyond complex. 

However, due, in the east, to crazy western claims of the original states (compounded in WV's case by the tragic separation of WV from VA) ; and in the rest of the country, by rushing states to statehood before full settlement and crazy borders drawn in Washington by people who, mostly, had never been west of Cincinnati, the states often comprise people with little in common with one another, and of vastly different sizes. 

It is not hard to come up with 50 units, even using current county lines, of people with similar interests, culture, and economy.

formulanone

Quote from: golden eagle on January 12, 2019, 06:26:51 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 12, 2019, 05:32:37 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 11, 2019, 11:06:54 PM
Changing it to East and West Dakota would make more sense IMHO.

How about Legends & Leaders?

Wasn't that the name of the Big Ten divisions when the expanded and split into the two divisions?

I think Norris and Smythe sounds better.

wanderer2575

"MegaKota" sounds like either a bad supermarket chain or an intestinal disorder.

Buck87

(Some of you will figure out what I'm doing with these proposals.)

Nope, not sure what reference your making, though a couple things on your list reminded me of this:

tchafe1978

While we're at it:

6. Dissolve Idaho by giving it to Washington, Oregon, and Montana – but not too much into Oregon.

Wisconsin will gladly take the U.P. because the people are just like us. Illinois can keep Chicago, however. We want no part of anything to do with the FIBs. 😁

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Buck87 on January 13, 2019, 11:22:37 AM
(Some of you will figure out what I'm doing with these proposals.)

Nope, not sure what reference your making, though a couple things on your list reminded me of this:

At this point give all of Alaska to Canada.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Beltway

How about correcting the fact that Maryland got all of the Potomac River?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

Quote from: Beltway on January 13, 2019, 06:51:05 PM

That's no different than Kentucky and West Virginia getting all the Ohio, or West Virginia getting all of the Big Sandy.

Not until they adopt English as their official language.

Quote from: SP Cook on January 13, 2019, 10:13:39 AM
Obviously, this is an academic exercise, as there will never be any shifting of state lines, and the difficulty of splitting or merging the 1000 functions of state governments is beyond complex.

Actually, wasn't there a shift of the NC/SC line in the past few years?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on January 13, 2019, 08:40:23 PM

That's no different than Kentucky and West Virginia getting all the Ohio, or West Virginia getting all of the Big Sandy.

Why? States don't have to speak english. It would help Puerto Rico to be in the union as a state and it would be tough for them to switch everything to English.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 13, 2019, 08:44:44 PM

Why? States don't have to speak english. It would help Puerto Rico to be in the union as a state and it would be tough for them to switch everything to English.

The United States has NO official language.  Period.  It would take a Constitutional amendment to assign one, and that just ain't gonna happen. 

It wouldn't matter if Puerto Ricans spoke English, Spanish, Chinese, or Gibberish.  They are still American citizens and have the same rights as all other Americans, save for voting for President, since only citizens of states can do that.

Some states have English as their official language, but that's usually only for official government business outside of elections.  That's OK, per the 10th Amendment.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Bruce

22/50 states do not have English as an official language, including some of the largest and most-populated.

Texas, yes TEXAS, never adopted it.

Hawaiian is an official language for Hawaii (alongside English), and Alaska recognizes 20 indigenous languages as their official ones for symbolic use (but not English).

Trying to force the English-only issue is really stupid and pointless. It goes against the very principles that America was founded on.

---

Back on topic: Puerto Rico, DC, Guam, and American Samoa should all be admitted at states, given the decades-long bullshit they've had to put up with as territories.

abefroman329

DC got some of it.

Buck87

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 13, 2019, 09:09:27 PM
DC got some of it.

The part that used to be Maryland

oscar

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on January 13, 2019, 08:54:49 PM
The United States has NO official language.  Period.

Actually, it does (at least for governmental purposes -- what individuals and businesses speak is pretty much up to them), even if there is no law saying so explicitly. For example, the Constitution and all our other laws are written in English, and with uncommon exceptions (such as treaties, where there is an official translation into the other country's official language(s)) it is only the English text that is binding.

In any case, the language barrier is an issue with Puerto Rico statehood, though there are other and probably more serious issues, starting with a significant independence movement that the U.S. might not want to inherit.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Beltway

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

Two wrongs don't make a right! :-)

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.