News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Goodbye to Dixie Highway?

Started by hbelkins, January 21, 2020, 12:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

vdeane

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 20, 2020, 03:08:40 AM
Quote from: silveradoman298 on February 18, 2020, 11:17:42 AM
How can next generations learn of the push and pull of historical views, even those on slavery, and see how views evolved over time, if historical monuments are removed.

By reading a fucking book? Do you think history teachers load their students onto a bus, drive to a statue, read the plaque out loud, and then get everyone back on the bus and drive to the next one?
Exactly.  Outside from actual historic sites like Gettysburg, statues aren't to teach history, but to glorify it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Beltway

Quote from: vdeane on February 20, 2020, 12:39:02 PM
Outside from actual historic sites like Gettysburg, statues aren't to teach history, but to glorify it.
Gettysburg has over 1,300 monuments from both sides.  How does that not glorify war in general and the ACW in particular?

As of 2008, the National Park Service unit managed 1,320 monuments and markers, 410 cannons, 148 historic buildings, and 41 miles of roads (8 miles of them, unpaved).  The largest concentration of monuments is at the Gettysburg National Cemetery. 
[Wikipedia: List of monuments of the Gettysburg Battlefield]
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 20, 2020, 12:22:01 PM
Well, in actual news Miami-Dade County has eliminated their county-maintained portions of the name in favor of Harriet Tubman.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/483836-florida-county-officials-unanimously-vote-to-rename-dixie-highways-after?fbclid=IwAR13byMPLp-hciUuHV0mlU8NTkXg8zZSSVYL20DWh7OjIwYFGrLSFttyZ4s

I'm curious, how many former segments of the Dixie Highway are still signed as such in Florida?  I know that part of US 1 south of Jacksonville is still signed as Dixie Highway approaching St. Augustine.  Some maps show the Old Brick Highway north of Espanola as Old Dixie Highway.  Amusingly Old Dixie Highway is signed south of Aripeka despite it never being officially designated as an official spur of the Auto Trail. 

TheGrassGuy

This thread is turning political. Mods, please lock.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

vdeane

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on February 22, 2020, 03:07:50 PM
Looks to me like the discussion that was turning political burned itself out and the most recent post (from two days ago) is about roads.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on February 22, 2020, 09:22:10 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on February 22, 2020, 03:07:50 PM
Looks to me like the discussion that was turning political burned itself out and the most recent post (from two days ago) is about roads.
^This.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

D-Dey65

Perfxion

To be as blunt but non political as possible: If New York can rename a bridge that sees more traffic in a single day than the entire state of Montana does in a week, whats really going to stop any county or state road from being renamed? And New York has done it many of times. Changing names could confuse people, but if the big ones can get it, smaller roads and highways will not be immune.
5/10/20/30/15/35/37/40/44/45/70/76/78/80/85/87/95/
(CA)405,(NJ)195/295(NY)295/495/278/678(CT)395(MD/VA)195/495/695/895

Beltway

Quote from: Perfxion on February 24, 2020, 10:26:46 AM
To be as blunt but non political as possible: If New York can rename a bridge that sees more traffic in a single day than the entire state of Montana does in a week, whats really going to stop any county or state road from being renamed? And New York has done it many of times. Changing names could confuse people, but if the big ones can get it, smaller roads and highways will not be immune.

Which bridge is that?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Beltway on February 24, 2020, 10:29:00 AM

Which bridge is that?

I'm assuming that's the new Tappan Zee Bridge which pretty everyone refused to call the Mario Cuomo Bridge.

Beltway

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 24, 2020, 10:35:22 AM
Which bridge is that?
I'm assuming that's the new Tappan Zee Bridge which pretty everyone refused to call the Mario Cuomo Bridge.
Oh ok... I was thinking of the adding of another "Z" to the Verrazano!

Montana roads carried 12.7 billion Annual Vehicle Miles of Travel in 2018.  That would be an average of over 244 million per week.

https://mdt.mt.gov/other/webdata/external/Planning/traffic_reports/historical-avmt.pdf

(Robert Coté, 2002)

vdeane

Quote from: Beltway on February 24, 2020, 10:49:39 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 24, 2020, 10:35:22 AM
Which bridge is that?
Oh ok... I was thinking of the adding of another "Z" to the Verrazano!

Montana roads carried 12.7 billion Annual Vehicle Miles of Travel in 2018.  That would be an average of over 244 million per week.

https://mdt.mt.gov/other/webdata/external/Planning/traffic_reports/historical-avmt.pdf
Also the Triboro Bridge and Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel.  Couple of parkways too (Richmond and Interboro).  Lots of renamed infrastructure downstate.

silveradoman298

Quote from: vdeane on February 20, 2020, 12:39:02 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 20, 2020, 03:08:40 AM
Quote from: silveradoman298 on February 18, 2020, 11:17:42 AM
How can next generations learn of the push and pull of historical views, even those on slavery, and see how views evolved over time, if historical monuments are removed.

By reading a fucking book? Do you think history teachers load their students onto a bus, drive to a statue, read the plaque out loud, and then get everyone back on the bus and drive to the next one?
Exactly.  Outside from actual historic sites like Gettysburg, statues aren't to teach history, but to glorify it.

I believe my point was misinterpreted. The evolution of views is historical in itself. I don't believe history texts are going to show photos of monuments that no longer exist while explaining that views have evolved which warranted their removal. I respect your views without responding with hostility or sarcasm.

Quote from: Rothman on February 19, 2020, 10:15:02 AM
Quote from: Beltway on February 19, 2020, 10:08:36 AM
Quote from: Rothman on February 18, 2020, 11:43:24 PM
I find the comparison of Robert E. Lee to the Founding Fathers to be inappropriate.  Although the Founding Fathers owned slaves, none of them fought against the United States.  Robert E. Lee was a general for a wannabe country that fought against the U.S.A.
The North invaded the South.  If that hadn't happened then there wouldn't be these monuments and people that you don't like. 

The industrial revolution was already making slavery uneconomical and as industrialism advanced, within 20 years or so slavery would have ceased, and the two countries could have worked out their differences and reunited peacefully, and almost certainly would have.  Lincoln's tyranny and blunders shortcircuited that process.
So, you're a secessionist holding the torch to the much discredited Lost Cause view of history.  Got it.

Erecting those statues wasn't about just honoring the noble defenders of the CSA (how can one claim to be a patriot of the USA while being nostalgic for the CSA?), but also honoring the immoral and racist values of the CSA.

With respect to this point of view, I believe it's inappropriate to question one's patriotism based on their views or interpretation of history. My point was where do we draw the line. Were slave owners such as the founding fathers or plantation owners in the South any better than secessionists? One might argue that if even though the Norfolk, VA court charged Lee with treason, the country hungered for reconciliation and even Grant would oppose charging Lee with treason. Even Andrew Johnson who was adamant on charging secessionists eventually evolved to drop the charges. We can't selectively choose which events in history are valid and which events we discount. It has nothing to do with being "nostalgic for the CSA".
"Call me a prisoner of the highway
Driven on by my restless soul
I'm a prisoner of the highway
Imprisoned by the freedom of the road"

Rothman

Nah.  Erecting statues to Confederate soldiers and officials is being nostalgic for the CSA.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Duke87

Quote from: Rothman on February 28, 2020, 11:32:47 PM
Nah.  Erecting statues to Confederate soldiers and officials is being nostalgic for the CSA.

CSA specifically, or does it also apply to other NRTLs like UL and Intertek?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

bwana39

Quote from: hbelkins on January 22, 2020, 09:49:09 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on January 22, 2020, 05:34:12 PM
All billboards for Branson's Dixie Stampede have been changed to say Dolly Parton's Stampede, and I imagine the same applies to Pigeon Forge as well.
It was hard for the gigantic cross near Branson (JCT US 65 & 160) to be constructed for similar reasons.

Or that could be marketing for Dolly's branding, since I don't think it was widely known that she owned that venue. Didn't she just recently buy it (as in the past few years)?

Nah. Dixie Stampede was always Dolly
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.