News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Seattle (SR 99 Tunnel) - February 2, 2019

Started by Bruce, September 01, 2018, 02:55:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

I'm going to be spending time with various folks so I won't be around for a tour. I could do a brunch before the ribbon cutting.

kevinb1994

Due to cost and distance plus inclement weather, we're out.

Hurricane Rex

Why running club. I have a track meet that was just scheduled in Seattle the week after this meet. That may put costs into question considering I'm surviving off of top ramen :bigass:

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Highway63

OK, I really need to get to Washington state again, and this seems like a really good reason to do so. But I need more clarification on what and how we would be meeting.

Some of you mention getting tickets; are those time-sensitive and is there a specific time to shoot for? How will there be a meetup if people have different ticket times? Would the meetup be Saturday only, the day of the walking, or Sunday too, with driving? Hearing the horror stories from Mom, I want to drive in Seattle as little as possible.

I want to be in on this, but second-round vacation requests are due Thanksgiving so I'd like more information.

(And it looks like plane/car will set me back $650 before I set foot in a restaurant or hotel. Yowza.)

Alps

Quote from: Highway63 on November 14, 2018, 12:24:00 AM
OK, I really need to get to Washington state again, and this seems like a really good reason to do so. But I need more clarification on what and how we would be meeting.

Some of you mention getting tickets; are those time-sensitive and is there a specific time to shoot for? How will there be a meetup if people have different ticket times? Would the meetup be Saturday only, the day of the walking, or Sunday too, with driving? Hearing the horror stories from Mom, I want to drive in Seattle as little as possible.

I want to be in on this, but second-round vacation requests are due Thanksgiving so I'd like more information.

(And it looks like plane/car will set me back $650 before I set foot in a restaurant or hotel. Yowza.)
http://99stepforward.com/ I plan to be at the ribbon cutting, then catch a shuttle north, check out the old viaduct/tunnel and walk the new tunnel back south. Based on the schedule of events, I'm assuming that any meetup would be limited to seeing each other at the ribbon cutting and a post-event dinner.

Bruce

I wouldn't be able to attend on Sunday, unless someone decides to drive 40 miles out of the way to pick me up. We should definitely do dinner together, though it would be better to find a place a bit out of downtown where food gets cheaper.

Generally, Sunday driving in Seattle isn't particularly bad. Trying to drive on a weekday during "rush hour" (which bleeds into each other, thanks to the express lanes) is pretty bad if you're not used to city gridlock. A few streets may be closed for the event, construction, or other activities, so just keep Google Maps handy.

Alps

Quote from: Bruce on November 14, 2018, 03:20:10 PM
I wouldn't be able to attend on Sunday, unless someone decides to drive 40 miles out of the way to pick me up. We should definitely do dinner together, though it would be better to find a place a bit out of downtown where food gets cheaper.

Generally, Sunday driving in Seattle isn't particularly bad. Trying to drive on a weekday during "rush hour" (which bleeds into each other, thanks to the express lanes) is pretty bad if you're not used to city gridlock. A few streets may be closed for the event, construction, or other activities, so just keep Google Maps handy.
Yeah I was only going to be there Saturday. I assume that's the preferred day given the ribbon cutting.

jakeroot

I thought the only thing happening Sunday was the bike ride? Which I am doing, as I previously mentioned.

For the record, my tickets are for 1230-1530. It also mentions meeting at Portal A first for the tunnel walk, then the viaduct walk after that.

Bruce

I have tickets reserved in the earliest three slots, but I'm going to try and join the media scruff at the ribbon-cutting before joining you guys (one of several groups I want to walk the tunnel with...going to be tough to juggle everything, but this is a challenge worth taking on).

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on November 15, 2018, 03:35:30 AM
I have tickets reserved in the earliest three slots, but I'm going to try and join the media scruff at the ribbon-cutting before joining you guys (one of several groups I want to walk the tunnel with...going to be tough to juggle everything, but this is a challenge worth taking on).

I shall imagine that you probably know, for example, your STB guys a bit better than you know us, so I certainly wouldn't be heartbroken if you joined someone else. But I'm always up for meeting new faces! Even if only for a bite.

Alps

Quote from: jakeroot on November 15, 2018, 03:10:29 AM
I thought the only thing happening Sunday was the bike ride? Which I am doing, as I previously mentioned.

For the record, my tickets are for 1230-1530. It also mentions meeting at Portal A first for the tunnel walk, then the viaduct walk after that.
I have the same tickets you do, so we should definitely coordinate. I think you may be conflating the existing Broadway tunnel with the new tunnel, because the last activity is to walk the new tunnel 2 miles back to the south end where the ribbon was cut.

jakeroot

Quote from: Alps on November 15, 2018, 04:43:16 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 15, 2018, 03:10:29 AM

I have the same tickets you do, so we should definitely coordinate. I think you may be conflating the existing Broadway tunnel with the new tunnel, because the last activity is to walk the new tunnel 2 miles back to the south end where the ribbon was cut.

Sounds good.

I didn't think I was reading that right. As long as someone out there is herding us, I'll be okay.

compdude787

So, just to be clear, this is the ticket I have. It has viaduct access first, and then tunnel access. Is this the same ticket that you guys have, Jakeroot and Alps?

jakeroot

Quote from: compdude787 on November 17, 2018, 02:31:51 AM
So, just to be clear, this is the ticket I have. It has viaduct access first, and then tunnel access. Is this the same ticket that you guys have, Jakeroot and Alps?

Looks the same to me!

compdude787

Quote from: jakeroot on November 17, 2018, 02:44:31 AM

Looks the same to me!

Awesome, thanks! I thought it would be quite appropriate to say one last goodbye to the viaduct before walking thru the tunnel.

jakeroot

Quote from: compdude787 on November 17, 2018, 11:20:47 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 17, 2018, 02:44:31 AM

Looks the same to me!

Awesome, thanks! I thought it would be quite appropriate to say one last goodbye to the viaduct before walking thru the tunnel.

Absolutely. That's why I'm doing the bike ride on Sunday. I'll look back on my childhood twenty years from now, and be glad I got to use and see the viaduct. There's lots of bridges in the Seattle area that have been demolished that I would love to have seen; glad this won't be one of them! Its time has come, but history is history, and it served its purpose well.

ErmineNotyours

I've just signed up too.  Hope we can see each other.

jakeroot

Can't remember how these road meets are usually organized, but I'm looking forward to seeing some new faces myself.

As was mentioned earlier, depending on how many of us end up on the same ticket, a full meetup may be relegated to a dinner afterwards or something. But that's better than nothing!

BloonsTDFan360

I'm planning to take a day trip up to Seattle to see you guys. I will take Amtrak Cascades to get up there, and would only be in town for roughly 12pm-6pm. Would that be enough time? Also, I wonder if I should bring my bike along (wished I can do the bike ride Sunday, but it doesn't fit into my schedule).

jakeroot

Quote from: BloonsTDFan360 on November 21, 2018, 11:30:41 PM
I'm planning to take a day trip up to Seattle to see you guys. I will take Amtrak Cascades to get up there, and would only be in town for roughly 12pm-6pm. Would that be enough time? Also, I wonder if I should bring my bike along (wished I can do the bike ride Sunday, but it doesn't fit into my schedule).

I think that will be sufficient time to see the sights and make the walks. Perhaps leaving too early for a dinner meetup, but no time has been set just yet; stay tuned!

Highway63

I have a viaduct/tunnel ticket for 1:30, the earliest available. I do not understand why they are not running shuttles in both directions (website says south to north only).

Airplane ticket and car rental has been arranged.

LET'S DO THIS. (Meaning, if there's going to be an evening meetup of some sort, plans would be good.)

Bruce

Quote from: Highway63 on December 12, 2018, 01:42:31 AM
I have a viaduct/tunnel ticket for 1:30, the earliest available. I do not understand why they are not running shuttles in both directions (website says south to north only).

Airplane ticket and car rental has been arranged.

LET'S DO THIS. (Meaning, if there's going to be an evening meetup of some sort, plans would be good.)

I believe that the shuttles are just the regular parking shuttles that the Downtown Seattle Association runs on the waterfront, which are one-way loops.

It will be much easier to park outside of downtown and take the bus in/around downtown on the day of the event. 50K+ expected, which means things will be packed.

compdude787

I told my family that I was going down to this event and now they all want to go. So I'll probably be bringing them all down there with me.

EDIT: I had to switch to the 1:30 timeslot in order to get the 10 tickets for everyone in my family since the 12:30 time slot is sold out.

BloonsTDFan360

Lil update, I got my tickets a couple days ago. 12:30pm sold out, so I have viaduct/tunnel tickets for 1pm and 1:30pm just in case.

Bruce

It might be worth organizing a viaduct last ride a few days before the final shutdown on the 11th. There's only two full weekends left.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.