News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 269

Started by Chris, July 19, 2009, 11:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: jamierazorback on November 08, 2017, 02:08:03 AM
If Miss. does plan on keeping I-22 ending at I-269 long term, I wonder if they will turn hwy 78 into I-222 from state line to I-22/I269 interchange (this would require some bridge work to get up to interstate standards along the way I believe on hwy 78) or post To I-22 shields heading East on Hwy 78?
I-222 is already reserved for The I-22/I-422 connector near Birmingham. How about 622 or 822? Personally, I would leave it as US 78.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on November 08, 2017, 02:26:05 PM
I-222 is already reserved for The I-22/I-422 connector near Birmingham. How about 622 or 822? Personally, I would leave it as US 78.

In Alabama, which, despite all outward appearances, is a different state.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

ATLRedSoxFan

Kinda confused,(don't have a reliable map), so when the new segment opens, will it be from the I-22 cloverleaf up to the recently completed/open segment, or just a random portion?

Brooks

Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on November 12, 2017, 01:57:32 PM
Kinda confused,(don't have a reliable map), so when the new segment opens, will it be from the I-22 cloverleaf up to the recently completed/open segment, or just a random portion?
According to the latest article I've seen about it, the section from MS 305 (just west of the 22 interchange) to MS 302 (the currently opened section) will open sometime this month.

jamierazorback

Quote from: Brooks on November 12, 2017, 02:13:50 PM
Quote from: ATLRedSoxFan on November 12, 2017, 01:57:32 PM
According to the latest article I've seen about it, the section from MS 305 (just west of the 22 interchange) to MS 302 (the currently opened section) will open sometime this month.
Yes, that's correct. May of 2018 we should see I-269 from I-22 to MS 305 open. In October of 2018, the entire portion of I-269 in Miss. should be open.

GreenLanternCorps

This is the latest article I have seen on I-269:

http://www.desototimes.com/news/i--nearing-final-completion-for-desoto-county/article_198a7666-9353-11e7-8d40-87750584e082.html

I-269 nearing final completion for DeSoto County
By ROBERT LEE LONG Community Editor Sep 6, 2017

Mitch Turner, Northern District Engineer for the Mississippi Department of Transportation, told members of the Rotary Club of Hernando Wednesday that the good news ahead for DeSoto County is that the long-awaited I-269 project is nearing completion.

"This project was started more than 10 years ago," Turner said. "After right-of-way acquisition, we were finally able to move some dirt and build bridges," adding the total project consists of seven different projects within the corridor, designed to be part of the new "superhighway" between Mexico and Canada.

Turner said the total price tag of I-69/I-269 will top $710 million.

"Through a lot of leadership and help here in DeSoto and Marshall counties, and with a lot of bonding (indebtedness), you were able to push it through," he said. "It was foresight from the people in DeSoto County that made it possible."

Additionally, the newly rebuilt Coldwater River Bridge between Hernando and Senatobia could be open as early as December.

I-69 proper, which was opened to traffic in 2006, begins at Tunica and goes to Hernando and will traverse up Interstate 55 through Memphis. I-269 begins at I-55 in Hernando and will connect with Tenn. Highway 385, or the Bill Morris Parkway, in Collierville.

A portion of I-269 is complete from the Marshall County line to Hwy. 302.

Portions through Lewisburg to Hernando remain to be completed. Paving is underway.

The paved portion of I-269 east of 305 into Marshall County will be open this November.

The portion that begins just west of I-55 through Lewisburg is expected to be completed by May of 2018.

"By this time next year, we hope to have I-269 open to traffic," Turner said.

Turner said the project includes 100 lane miles and more than 56 bridges, in addition to rights-of-way to mow and maintain.

Closer to home, the newly-rebuilt Coldwater River Bridge is finally getting closer to opening, according to Turner.

"It's 1,000 feet longer, taller in the air and wider, so there shouldn't be safety issues," Turner said.

Brooks

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on November 14, 2017, 01:52:54 PM
This is the latest article I have seen on I-269:

http://www.desototimes.com/news/i--nearing-final-completion-for-desoto-county/article_198a7666-9353-11e7-8d40-87750584e082.html

I-269 nearing final completion for DeSoto County
By ROBERT LEE LONG Community Editor Sep 6, 2017

Mitch Turner, Northern District Engineer for the Mississippi Department of Transportation, told members of the Rotary Club of Hernando Wednesday that the good news ahead for DeSoto County is that the long-awaited I-269 project is nearing completion.

"This project was started more than 10 years ago," Turner said. "After right-of-way acquisition, we were finally able to move some dirt and build bridges," adding the total project consists of seven different projects within the corridor, designed to be part of the new "superhighway" between Mexico and Canada.

Turner said the total price tag of I-69/I-269 will top $710 million.

"Through a lot of leadership and help here in DeSoto and Marshall counties, and with a lot of bonding (indebtedness), you were able to push it through," he said. "It was foresight from the people in DeSoto County that made it possible."

Additionally, the newly rebuilt Coldwater River Bridge between Hernando and Senatobia could be open as early as December.

I-69 proper, which was opened to traffic in 2006, begins at Tunica and goes to Hernando and will traverse up Interstate 55 through Memphis. I-269 begins at I-55 in Hernando and will connect with Tenn. Highway 385, or the Bill Morris Parkway, in Collierville.

A portion of I-269 is complete from the Marshall County line to Hwy. 302.

Portions through Lewisburg to Hernando remain to be completed. Paving is underway.

The paved portion of I-269 east of 305 into Marshall County will be open this November.

The portion that begins just west of I-55 through Lewisburg is expected to be completed by May of 2018.

"By this time next year, we hope to have I-269 open to traffic," Turner said.

Turner said the project includes 100 lane miles and more than 56 bridges, in addition to rights-of-way to mow and maintain.

Closer to home, the newly-rebuilt Coldwater River Bridge is finally getting closer to opening, according to Turner.

"It's 1,000 feet longer, taller in the air and wider, so there shouldn't be safety issues," Turner said.

Yes, that was the one I was referring to. Hopefully it is accurate.

Tomahawkin

That's great to hear on the link from IH 22 To IH 55. Hopefully there are a few restaurants and Truck Stops. With that in mind is there an ordinance of tall billboard advertising in that area. I rarely see any large ads for the Tunica Area

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Tomahawkin on November 14, 2017, 06:49:39 PM
That's great to hear on the link from IH 22 To IH 55. Hopefully there are a few restaurants and Truck Stops. With that in mind is there an ordinance of tall billboard advertising in that area. I rarely see any large ads for the Tunica Area

I-22 will not have a link to I-69/I-55 until next spring.  The part opening this month is from MS 305 East to I-22 and then North East to MS 309 and then North to MS 302 where it meets the existing portion of I-269, which will then connect to I-40.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9128552,-89.7394739,13597m/data=!3m1!1e3

Brooks

I returned to the same area yesterday to see if anything new had been done yet. It appears that the inside shoulder has been striped in both directions. All that is left now are some exit gores and the signs. Speaking of which, all of the posts appear to have been installed and you can see in the first picture (barely) one of the first signs being installed! You can't tell in the picture, but it was a standard rural MS freeway speed limit sign (speed limit 70/minimum 40). Excited to see this open soon! Photos taken 11/14.

lordsutch

It'd be nice if this opened by Saturday so I could take advantage of it on my Thanksgiving trip to Memphis, but somehow I doubt it given the lack of publicity about an opening date.

Tomahawkin

Wow. That maybe one of the most rural outer perimeter interstates I've seen. I hope development follows the opening within the new year or so

Brooks

I was driving on MS 309 this afternoon and look what I found!  Barely managed to get this photo while driving through.  Apparently one day is enough for them to install signs, which actually makes sense (unlike a lot of other road construction project time frames) :-D

sparker

Quote from: Tomahawkin on November 15, 2017, 06:12:18 PM
Wow. That maybe one of the most rural outer perimeter interstates I've seen. I hope development follows the opening within the new year or so

Right!  That's what we need -- more exurban development.  Better to infill first before slapping down tracts next to an outer loop.  The pictures show a nice new road through a very nice-looking area; let's enjoy the open area while we all can before developers carve up the region!

jpi

So if this all opens next fall 2018, I may be hosting a road meet on this one around that time, my first hosted road meet in 2012 focused on some of the construction of this interstate.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

jamierazorback

Quote from: jpi on November 16, 2017, 12:50:57 AM
So if this all opens next fall 2018, I may be hosting a road meet on this one around that time, my first hosted road meet in 2012 focused on some of the construction of this interstate.
From the pictures taken today, I believe this road (or a good section of I-269) will open before the fall.

cjk374

Quote from: sparker on November 16, 2017, 12:40:20 AM
Quote from: Tomahawkin on November 15, 2017, 06:12:18 PM

Right!  That's what we need -- more exurban development.  Better to infill first before slapping down tracts next to an outer loop.  The pictures show a nice new road through a very nice-looking area; let's enjoy the open area while we all can before developers carve up the region!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

lordsutch

While most of the small signs are in place it looks like there's still substantial work to be done at I-22 as of tonight: no overhead signs or advance BGSes are in place, the mainline striping is incomplete, etc.

Nothing that couldn't be knocked out in a few days (unless the posts for BGSes still need to be installed, since it'll take longer to cure the concrete - it was too dark to tell) but since it's likely MDOT told them not to do any work that might disrupt traffic Thanksgiving week I doubt it will open by the end of the month unless they plan to post some temporary signs.

jamierazorback

I received this email today from TDOT about I-22 connecting into Memphis and re signing I-269 in Tennessee. The first part was left out for the most part. Here is the email....

Jamie,

Thank you for your interest in the transportation system of the state of Tennessee.  The Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) appreciates your concerns regarding the transportation system linking Memphis, TN with Birmingham, AL.  Included in the October 6, 2017 TDOT letting was a project for the installation of signs on the I-269 corridor from the Tennessee/Mississippi state-line to  S.R. 1 (U.S 70/79) north of I-40 in Shelby County, TN. This project will involve resigning existing S.R. 385 along this corridor. The project was awarded to Superior Traffic Control with a bid price of $589,553.30. The work for this project should begin within the next few months.

The purpose of the I-69 corridor is to link the US/Mexico border in southern Texas with the US/Canada border in Michigan. I-269 will serve as a  bypass around the east side of Memphis, TN for continuous traffic on I-69. A connection with I-22 will allow for several different traffic routes into and out of Memphis and surrounding areas.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact me.  My contact information is listed below.

Sincerely,

cid:image001.png@01D0ACCA.32B88870
Rachel Webb, P.E. | C.E. Manager 2
TDOT Region 4 Project Development
Building A, First Floor
300 Benchmark Place, Jackson, TN  38301
p.  731-935-0141       f. 731-935-0161

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: jamierazorback on November 18, 2017, 01:51:29 AM
I received this email today from TDOT about I-22 connecting into Memphis and re signing I-269 in Tennessee. The first part was left out for the most part. Here is the email....

Jamie,

Thank you for your interest in the transportation system of the state of Tennessee.  The Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) appreciates your concerns regarding the transportation system linking Memphis, TN with Birmingham, AL.  Included in the October 6, 2017 TDOT letting was a project for the installation of signs on the I-269 corridor from the Tennessee/Mississippi state-line to  S.R. 1 (U.S 70/79) north of I-40 in Shelby County, TN. This project will involve resigning existing S.R. 385 along this corridor. The project was awarded to Superior Traffic Control with a bid price of $589,553.30. The work for this project should begin within the next few months.

The purpose of the I-69 corridor is to link the US/Mexico border in southern Texas with the US/Canada border in Michigan. I-269 will serve as a  bypass around the east side of Memphis, TN for continuous traffic on I-69. A connection with I-22 will allow for several different traffic routes into and out of Memphis and surrounding areas.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact me.  My contact information is listed below.

Sincerely,

Building A, First Floor

Is it just me, or is ending I-269 (for now) at US 79 north of I-40 instead of at I-40 odd?

jamierazorback

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on November 20, 2017, 08:48:25 AM
Quote from: jamierazorback on November 18, 2017, 01:51:29 AM

Jamie,

Sincerely,

Building A, First Floor

Is it just me, or is ending I-269 (for now) at US 79 north of I-40 instead of at I-40 odd?
My guess would be since all the signs will say 269 north Arlington, that they want to take 269 to the heart of Arlington and that's us 79. It's the first exit past I 40

dcharlie

Why aren't they signing it all the way to US 51?

sparker

Quote from: dcharlie on November 20, 2017, 02:03:05 PM

I think this has been discussed previously, but it's unlikely that the E-W segment of TN 385 across the "northern tier" of Memphis will receive I-269 signage until funding for SIU 8 of I-69, which is the portion from TN 300 north to Dyersburg, is identified and projects on that corridor are actually let.  Whether that is TDOT's way to avoid questions about why that I-69 portion hasn't progressed or simply because the only connection to I-69, at least for the near term, will be the one in Hernando, MS is moot;  Interstate signage on that segment is functionally pointless until such time as I-69 itself becomes reality.

jamierazorback

Quote from: sparker on November 20, 2017, 02:36:26 PM
Quote from: dcharlie on November 20, 2017, 02:03:05 PM

I think this has been discussed previously, but it's unlikely that the E-W segment of TN 385 across the "northern tier" of Memphis will receive I-269 signage until funding for SIU 8 of I-69, which is the portion from TN 300 north to Dyersburg, is identified and projects on that corridor are actually let.  Whether that is TDOT's way to avoid questions about why that I-69 portion hasn't progressed or simply because the only connection to I-69, at least for the near term, will be the one in Hernando, MS is moot;  Interstate signage on that segment is functionally pointless until such time as I-69 itself becomes reality.
THIS also makes sense. There probably wont be a lot of traffic past that US 70 Arlington exit until i69 ever gets built. That could be decades away. It will also make I 269 roughly a 47 mile interstate for sometime to come.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on November 20, 2017, 08:48:25 AM

I-269 is only approved to I-40.

I assume the signing contract goes to US 70 because of the advance signage needed on southbound TN385 between I-40 and US 70, and perhaps because they'll want to sign the ramps for US70 » SB TN385 as "SOUTH 385 TO I-269"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.