News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 269

Started by Chris, July 19, 2009, 11:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

VMS on I-40 west approaching TN 385 east of Memphis says "State Route 385 Now Open." There are very few signs up on the newly opened portion of TN 385. Only signs in place are Speed Limit signs. No indication is given on the VMS for traffic to use TN 385 to bypass the I-40/240 East Memphis interchange construction.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

lordsutch

Drove the road a couple of times last week when I was in Memphis for the Thanksgiving holiday. A few noteworthy things:

• The eastbound/northbound transition has been restriped to the final configuration with I-269 as the through route; the right lane ends and the left lane becomes the exit only lane for TN 57. The southbound/westbound transition, however, is not restriped yet.
  • An overhead advance guide sign is in place southbound for the "exit" to TN 385 west toward Memphis.
  • TN 57's guide signs have been replaced with new signs mentioning both Piperton and Collierville.
  • Signage is only partially installed; none of the reassurance markers are in place, nor are many signs for city boundaries and waterways. Some of the county line crossings are marked, some are not. Some of the speed limit signs are temporary installations.
  • The (environmental) truck speed limit of 55 is in place even in the Fayette County portions of the route, despite legally only being required in Shelby County. Similarly the Fayette County portions could legally be signed at 70, not 65.
  • No mileage markers are in place (nor are any incident management signs), so it's not clear how the mileage marking will be reconciled with three Shelby County and two Fayette County sections of route.
  • No evidence of I-269 signage, other than the preexisting "Future I-269 Corridor" sign south of TN 57. Technically FHWA might not permit I-269 to be signed until the section south to MS 302 (or at least US 72) opens; both are NHS routes, while TN 57 isn't.

Progress on I-269 seems to be pretty far along on the TN portion at US 72, with both bridges' spans in place and much of the grading done. Further south at US 78, I didn't get a good look since it was late at night when I passed through there, but at least some of the spans were in place over eastbound US 78.  Seems like January 2018 is awfully pessimistic for I-269 to make it to US 78, given that MDOT has all the money in hand due to DeSoto County's HELP bonds.

SSF

Yes, when i drove through their last, most of the spans for 269 were in place over US 78.

edited for my lousy grammar. 

US71

Quote from: lordsutch on December 03, 2013, 02:48:45 PM
Drove the road a couple of times last week when I was in Memphis for the Thanksgiving holiday. A few noteworthy things:

• The eastbound/northbound transition has been restriped to the final configuration with I-269 as the through route; the right lane ends and the left lane becomes the exit only lane for TN 57. The southbound/westbound transition, however, is not restriped yet.
  • An overhead advance guide sign is in place southbound for the "exit" to TN 385 west toward Memphis.
  • TN 57's guide signs have been replaced with new signs mentioning both Piperton and Collierville.
  • Signage is only partially installed; none of the reassurance markers are in place, nor are many signs for city boundaries and waterways. Some of the county line crossings are marked, some are not. Some of the speed limit signs are temporary installations.
  • The (environmental) truck speed limit of 55 is in place even in the Fayette County portions of the route, despite legally only being required in Shelby County. Similarly the Fayette County portions could legally be signed at 70, not 65.
  • No mileage markers are in place (nor are any incident management signs), so it's not clear how the mileage marking will be reconciled with three Shelby County and two Fayette County sections of route.
  • No evidence of I-269 signage, other than the preexisting "Future I-269 Corridor" sign south of TN 57. Technically FHWA might not permit I-269 to be signed until the section south to MS 302 (or at least US 72) opens; both are NHS routes, while TN 57 isn't.

Progress on I-269 seems to be pretty far along on the TN portion at US 72, with both bridges' spans in place and much of the grading done. Further south at US 78, I didn't get a good look since it was late at night when I passed through there, but at least some of the spans were in place over eastbound US 78.  Seems like January 2018 is awfully pessimistic for I-269 to make it to US 78, given that MDOT has all the money in hand due to DeSoto County's HELP bonds.

Is TN 72 still posted? ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SFPredsFan

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 23, 2013, 07:23:26 AM
VMS on I-40 west approaching TN 385 east of Memphis says "State Route 385 Now Open." There are very few signs up on the newly opened portion of TN 385. Only signs in place are Speed Limit signs. No indication is given on the VMS for traffic to use TN 385 to bypass the I-40/240 East Memphis interchange construction.

TDOT should go ahead and sign westbound I-40 to TN385 south with the control city of Jackson, MS and I-240 at the TN385 Bill Morris Parkway exit with the control city of Nashville. That would send thru traffic around avoiding the construction on I-240 from that exit all the way to the I-240/40 interchange. I avoid all construction zones like the plague. The lanes are always too narrow, no shoulders, constant lane shifts, and down right damn dangerous. It looks to be about 12 miles longer via TN385, but avoiding stop and go traffic and higher speeds would probably negate the extra mileage and if even 1 life is saved b/c TN385 will be safer it would be worth it. The widening of I-240 is about a year behind schedule but the rebuild of the I-240/40 interchange is going to take years and will be a real mess. The I-269 part in MS will be competed before the 240/40 interchange is rebuilt anyways.

codyg1985

Quote from: US71 on December 03, 2013, 10:10:53 PM

It was when I went through there on the 23rd of November.

Quote from: SFPredsFan on December 04, 2013, 01:44:42 AM

TDOT should go ahead and sign westbound I-40 to TN385 south with the control city of Jackson, MS and I-240 at the TN385 Bill Morris Parkway exit with the control city of Nashville. That would send thru traffic around avoiding the construction on I-240 from that exit all the way to the I-240/40 interchange. I avoid all construction zones like the plague. The lanes are always too narrow, no shoulders, constant lane shifts, and down right damn dangerous. It looks to be about 12 miles longer via TN385, but avoiding stop and go traffic and higher speeds would probably negate the extra mileage and if even 1 life is saved b/c TN385 will be safer it would be worth it. The widening of I-240 is about a year behind schedule but the rebuild of the I-240/40 interchange is going to take years and will be a real mess. The I-269 part in MS will be competed before the 240/40 interchange is rebuilt anyways.

There was a nasty lane closure on I-240 eastbound at TN 385 on Saturday, November 23rd that had it down to one lane before the widening project. I don't see why it is taking them so long to finish that project. At least the VMS signs approaching the construction zone warned motorists of the lane closure, instead of traffic fatality statistics.

The control cities will be changed for TN 385 probably when they change the control cities for TN 840 around Nashville. ;)
Cody Goodman

SFPredsFan

I read somewhere that utility relocation delayed the widening but a lot of Memphis drivers say they saw no work going on for months. Sounds like another excuse of a contractor bidding on too many projects and they didn't have the manpower and equipment to do them all.

jpi

Quote from: codyg1985 on December 04, 2013, 07:10:51 AM
Quote from: US71 on December 03, 2013, 10:10:53 PM

It was when I went through there on the 23rd of November.

Quote from: SFPredsFan on December 04, 2013, 01:44:42 AM

There was a nasty lane closure on I-240 eastbound at TN 385 on Saturday, November 23rd that had it down to one lane before the widening project. I don't see why it is taking them so long to finish that project. At least the VMS signs approaching the construction zone warned motorists of the lane closure, instead of traffic fatality statistics.

The control cities will be changed for TN 385 probably when they change the control cities for TN 840 around Nashville. ;)
Agreed! I have a feeling the current state of 385 will not change until MS gets there sections finished, then we COULD see I-269 signs go up and proper control cities like Jackson, MS Nashville, TN maybe even Tunica.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Grzrd

Quote from: lordsutch on December 03, 2013, 02:48:45 PM
Seems like January 2018 is awfully pessimistic for I-269 to make it to US 78, given that MDOT has all the money in hand due to DeSoto County's HELP bonds.

This article indicates that the Mayor of Piperton believes the current estimate for completion from MS 302 to I-55 in Mississippi is the end of 2016, but that the administrator for the Memphis MPO believes that it will be completed "in the next four to five years" :

"The leg of 269 between Piperton and Goodman Road/Highway 302 is scheduled for completion in the fall of next year, and the completion of Goodman Road to I-55 (in Mississippi) is scheduled for the end of 2016,"  said Piperton Mayor Henry Coats ....
"For the work on I-269 in Mississippi, some segments are under constructions and others will be completed in the next four to five years,"  said Pragati Srivastava, administrator of the Memphis Urban Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO).

Maybe MS 302 to US 78/Future I-22 will be completed by the end of 2016, with the remainder being completed a little bit later.

Grzrd

The paving contract for Mississippi's section of I-269 from the TN state line to MS 302 is scheduled to be let on January 28, with a scheduled completion date of June 25, 2015:

http://mdot.ms.gov/Applications/BidSystem/lettingInfo.aspx?r=0&date=January%2028,%202014

Grzrd

Quote from: SSF on December 03, 2013, 10:01:18 PM
when i drove through their last, most of the spans for 269 were in place over US 78.

If weather permitted, they should have placed some bridge beams yesterday:

http://www.wtva.com/news/national/story/Highway-to-Memphis-blocked/5TFPPn5FQ0O5BDB6ImJZrg.cspx

Roads will be periodically blocked Wednesday for drivers traveling toward Memphis on Highway 78.
Construction for a bridge on Interstate 69 will cause 15 minute traffic stalls on the highway between Red Banks Road and MS 309 as hanging bridge beams are placed.
Officials said the stalls will occur from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and will mainly affect westbound drivers.

SSF

yea, i drove that way Monday and 70%(14 out of 20) of the beams were up. 

if they were effecting mainly westbound, that tells me they hung the beam over the westbound lanes for the furthest west I-269 bridge at least.

Grzrd

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 06, 2012, 10:47:18 PM

Signs on I-269 North approaching TN 385
Quote from: Grzrd on October 21, 2013, 08:54:12 AM
This article
The above-linked article also indicates that Mississippi and Tennessee will open the section from MS 302 (Goodman Road) to TN 385 by the end of 2014:
the first leg of Interstate 269 from Goodman Road to Tenn. 385 is expected to open by the end of 2014.
Quote from: Grzrd on January 06, 2014, 04:43:04 PM
The paving contract for Mississippi's section of I-269 from the TN state line to MS 302 is scheduled to be let on January 28, with a scheduled completion date of June 25, 2015:
http://mdot.ms.gov/Applications/BidSystem/lettingInfo.aspx?r=0&date=January%2028,%202014

On February 11, the Mississippi Highway Commission awarded the paving contract from the TN state line to MS 302 (page 3/4 of pdf):

AWARDED SUBJECT TO CONCURRENCE BY THE FEDERAL HIGHWAY ADMINISTRATION
STP-0029-03(011) / 102556308
MARSHALL COUNTY - Paving approximately 4 miles of SR 304/I-269 from SR 302 to the Tennessee Line
LEHMAN-ROBERTS COMPANY
PO BOX 1603
MEMPHIS, TN 38101
$11,308,279.76

The winning bid came in 15.28% below the state estimate (page 1/4 of pdf).

I'm assuming that Tennessee will wait to open its TN 385 to MS state line section until Mississippi completes it MS 302 to TN state line section (now estimated to be June, 2015).  I also assume that that combined section will be signed as I-269.  If that assumption is correct, will TDOT go ahead and sign all of the "I-269" section of TN 385 as I-269 at that time?

codyg1985

^ In the signing plans for the TN project, blue tenth mile markers are included which include I-269 shields in them (shows them in the plans I posted above). I would assume their plan is to sign it as I-269. It does look like the BGS signs will be upgraded later, though.
Cody Goodman

SFPredsFan

Quote from: Grzrd on February 11, 2014, 12:14:00 PM
Quote from: codyg1985 on July 06, 2012, 10:47:18 PM

Signs on I-269 North approaching TN 385
Quote from: Grzrd on October 21, 2013, 08:54:12 AM
This article
The above-linked article also indicates that Mississippi and Tennessee will open the section from MS 302 (Goodman Road) to TN 385 by the end of 2014:
the first leg of Interstate 269 from Goodman Road to Tenn. 385 is expected to open by the end of 2014.
Quote from: Grzrd on January 06, 2014, 04:43:04 PM

On February 11, the Mississippi Highway Commission awarded the paving contract from the TN state line to MS 302 (page 3/4 of pdf):

AWARDED SUBJECT TO CONCURRENCE BY THE FEDERAL HIGHWAY ADMINISTRATION
STP-0029-03(011) / 102556308
MARSHALL COUNTY - Paving approximately 4 miles of SR 304/I-269 from SR 302 to the Tennessee Line
LEHMAN-ROBERTS COMPANY
PO BOX 1603
MEMPHIS, TN 38101
$11,308,279.76

The winning bid came in 15.28% below the state estimate (page 1/4 of pdf).

I'm assuming that Tennessee will wait to open its TN 385 to MS state line section until Mississippi completes it MS 302 to TN state line section (now estimated to be June, 2015).  I also assume that that combined section will be signed as I-269.  If that assumption is correct, will TDOT go ahead and sign all of the "I-269" section of TN 385 as I-269 at that time?

So the Control City for I-269 will be Evansville, IN? I would've thought it would be Dyersburg but it makes sense for Evansville since it is the only decent size city from Memphis to Indy. I never liked the change from St. Louis to Clarksville for I-24 in Nashville.

Grzrd

Quote from: froggie on March 13, 2011, 06:01:25 PM
If I-269 was truly intended for freight/long-distance traffic, they wouldn't have 11 exits along it.  It'd be more along the lines of 6.

This article reports that some DeSoto County officials have returned from a visit with Mississippi's D.C. delegation speaking of a somewhat positive reception regarding a proposed McIngvale Road interchange:

DeSoto County Supervisor Mark Gardner ....
U.S. Sen. ... Roger Wicker ....
Both Gardner and Hernando Mayor Chip Johnson said the need for there to be a Hernando exit off Interstate 269 was discussed as well.
Gardner quoted Wicker as saying that having Mississippi Department of Transportation officials solidly behind the I-269 Hernando exit would be helpful.
Johnson said the McIngvale Road exit onto I-269 as it's known is of paramount concern.
"Everybody wants to do that project but we're just trying to find a way to fund it," Johnson said.

I assume this proposed exit is in addition to the original eleven exits.

Also, as previously posted in the I-69 in TN thread, the Memphis MPO submitted a Comment in which it asked that consideration be given to including I-269 in the Primary Freight Network:

Alex

I94RoadRunner took some photos of I-269 construction in Mississippi on Saturday. I compiled some of them in a blog post to show the progress of road work: https://www.aaroads.com/blog/2014/03/10/interstate-269-in-mississippi-progress/

roadman65

Quote from: Alex on March 10, 2014, 10:29:25 AM
I94RoadRunner took some photos of I-269 construction in Mississippi on Saturday. I compiled some of them in a blog post to show the progress of road work: https://www.aaroads.com/blog/2014/03/10/interstate-269-in-mississippi-progress/
One thing interesting is the fact that I-22's western terminus and I-269's
southern terminus will be at the same place, so it will not effect either interstate's exit numbering scheme.

Good to see it move along though.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

codyg1985

Quote from: roadman65 on March 10, 2014, 11:24:09 AM
Quote from: Alex on March 10, 2014, 10:29:25 AM
One thing interesting is the fact that I-22's western terminus and I-269's
southern terminus will be at the same place, so it will not effect either interstate's exit numbering scheme.

Good to see it move along though.

If I-22 is moved onto I-269 to terminate at I-55, the exit numbers along current US 78 and mile posts will have to be renumbered east of I-269. It isn't a big deal, but with the state of Mississippi lacking in road funding, the cost to resign all of the exits will not be trivial. I also don't think it is a done deal that I-22 will be cosigned with I-269 between I-55 and US 78.

Also, even though the DeSoto County GIS shows the US 78/I-269 interchange as a cloverstack (it was once proposed to be), the design for the actual interchange will be a cloverleaf with C/D roads on both US 78 and I-269.
Cody Goodman

roadman65

It cannot get any worse than I-70 in Illinois continuing where I-270's exit numbers left off after it leaves I-55.  Or even better yet where I-29 in Missouri has its zero milepost where it intersects I-35 and not at is official terminus with I-70 being a few miles short in miles on its milepost trekking.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadman65 on March 10, 2014, 06:08:10 PM
It cannot get any worse than I-70 in Illinois continuing where I-270's exit numbers left off after it leaves I-55.  Or even better yet where I-29 in Missouri has its zero milepost where it intersects I-35 and not at is official terminus with I-70 being a few miles short in miles on its milepost trekking.

ehh, I always found I-29's multiplex with I-35 to be a bit gratuitous.  starting the mileage at the split is fine by me.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mwb1848

...or Tennessee could just get with the program and just upgrade US 78 to I-240.

froggie

Quote...or Tennessee could just get with the program and just upgrade US 78 to I-240.

Easier said than done.  There's *A LOT* of right-of-way and buildings they'd need to take out in order to do so.

NE2

Quote from: froggie on March 11, 2014, 08:26:42 AM
Quote...or Tennessee could just get with the program and just upgrade US 78 to I-240.

Easier said than done.  There's *A LOT* of right-of-way and buildings they'd need to take out in order to do so.

Looks like this would bypass the worst:
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

Perhaps, but now you're impacting airport facilities.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.