News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Things you loved that technology has killed off or r00ined.

Started by Crazy Volvo Guy, April 21, 2015, 03:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OracleUsr

My mother was in a class one time and said her professor didn't give partial credit because "You build bridge, bridge fall down, no partial credit" (she wasn't an engineering major, so I'm not sure exactly how that professor came up with that analogy)
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

J N Winkler

Quote from: kkt on April 21, 2015, 04:07:18 PMThis.  When some small organization printed and mailed a newsletter, it was easy for a library to just hold on to a copy.  Now that they're on the web, the news depends on having picture files and style files and they're no longer self-contained.  If the organization kept an archive at all, they don't bother to preserve it after the organization moves on.

This fragmentation is a problem, but it can be addressed--to an extent--using Web archiving software.  I think the deeper concern is that a lot of material worth archiving is on the "deep Web," i.e., the parts of the Web for which you need to supply authentication for access.

Quote from: kkt on April 21, 2015, 04:07:18 PMIndividuals no longer correspond on paper, and who bothers to keep their parents' emails or text messages when they are cleaning out their estate?

In this family we still exchange greeting cards, and when I wish to signal commitment to an issue, I still write a proper business letter and send it via snail mail instead of relying on email, though I no longer keep a paper copy for my own records--instead, I retain a PDF copy.

My grandmother (who passed away in 2011) is the last member of our family who has died.  She did not text, so there were no SMS messages to archive (there are now smartphone apps to export SMS messages, one of which I successfully used to transfer texts between an old smartphone and its replacement, with a copy left on my PC hard drive as a backup).  I would have liked to have archived her emails but another family member got to her laptop before I did and we have not yet received a copy of the hard drive contents.

Even paper records are destroyed willy-nilly in the wake of a death, and are easily compromised by bad storage practices.

I have a large plastic bag of greeting cards and letters my grandmother kept that I intercepted on its way to the trash ("Most of these people are dead anyway" was the excuse).  This is only a small fraction of the cards and letters she received in her lifetime and I suspect most of them were trashed--some by her when she was still living, and probably some when her house was being gone through.

My mother has a new policy of saving only greeting cards and letters themselves, not the envelopes they come in.  This is bad archiving practice because the envelopes contain significant information (such as postmarks) that cannot reliably be inferred from the contents.  My mother asked me, "Don't you think this is a wonderful way to save room?"  Translation:  "Don't tell me this is a bad idea."  I pick my battles.

As with families, so with governments.  The US is a relative packrat by international standards--the US Government saves about 20% of the documentation it produces and stores it partly in a central NARA repository in College Park and partly in satellite NARA facilities around the country.  As a result, you can pull construction vouchers for pretty much any Interstate you are interested in, but the tradeoff is that you have to journey in person to the NARA facility that has it and fill out forms in triplicate to view it (few documents are imaged and there is no online ordering).  In contradistinction, the British government saves about 3%, and keeps nearly all of it at the National Archives in Kew, west London, where it is online-orderable, and some of it has been imaged.  The flip side is that some files mention other interesting files that have been trashed.  As an example, when I was researching early British motorway proposals from the 1920's, I found references to a file on the Southern Motor Road Bill (an attempt to obtain powers to build a London-Brighton motorway using the same private bill mechanism that was used to promote railways in the nineteenth century and later the Mersey Tunnel in the 1930's), which I have not been able to find in years of searching and suspect is lost forever.

Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 21, 2015, 09:42:28 PM
Quote from: kkt on April 21, 2015, 07:36:58 PMThat was the original idea, but actually PDF is a ridiculously complex, constantly changing format.  That allows Adobe to continue to sell new versions of PDF creation programs.  In order to preserve readability for the ages, you'd need to save a PDF reader from the year along with the document.  And probably a contemporary computer, too.

The PDF 1.7 format has been standardized as ISO standard 32000-1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Document_Format#ISO_Standardization

There are plenty of readers and source code out there to work with it. Adobe has added extensions to it, but most people don't actually use them.

PDF is essentially a container standard and Adobe has worked to make it as broad as possible--a PDF file can contain video, HTML, active elements, even viruses.  In practice, however, as NJRoadfan points out, it is almost universally used as an e-paper format, and for archiving purposes the capabilities of various PDF reading software are far less important than bad practice when confecting PDFs, such as failure to embed fonts so that the appearance of the PDF document does not change when it is viewed on devices that do not have the same document fonts installed.  This is why some state Standard Highway Signs analogues are worthless--some state DOTs are too scared of SignCAD (or whoever) to embed the SignCAD fonts to create true device-independent PDFs.  Colorado DOT's Sign Library is a classic example of what happens if you don't embed fonts.

It is also worth noting that failure to comply with the PDF-A archiving standard (which recent versions of Acrobat now enforce by prohibiting alterations to PDF-A documents) does not necessarily mean that a PDF is not archival.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

froggie

QuoteSchool. Paper homework and exams were better, especially in math because you could do your work on the paper and not have to re-write the problem. Also, teachers would give partial credit. Now, if on a multi-step problem, you get 1 part out of 10 wrong, the whole thing is counted wrong. A human grader would give partial credit. Online math homework and exams are very unfair for this reason, and should be abolished.

My college Calculus classes do not have this issue.  Though we are usually allowed to use calculators or a computer graphing program, we are still required to write out and "show our work".  And the professor does give partial credit.

QuoteHave we really almost gotten through an entire page without button copy being mentioned?

Wasn't an issue for me.  Though in full disclosure, I grew up in a non-button-copy state that also happens to be home to the company that's developed high-intensity reflective sheeting...

Ian

Quote from: bugo on April 22, 2015, 12:44:28 AM
Music...for the most part. EDM sucks. At least disco had lyrics and meaning.

Why am I not surprised that you hate electronic music? As far as lyrics go, there are a lot of electronic songs that are very meaningful. Listen to some of BT's lyrics sometime. You simply don't understand the genre and have made broad generalizations about it. Go back and listen to your Garth Brooks and Metallica.

+1.

Not all EDM is heavy dubstep type stuff like Skrillex makes that many people like to criticize. Some like to use actual musical instruments to make their songs. Big Gigantic, for example, likes to use the saxophone.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

ZLoth

Quote from: formulanone on April 21, 2015, 09:54:28 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on April 21, 2015, 08:45:50 PM
Remember when watching a movie on television was an "event", and if you missed it, you had to wait a year?

Yes...but having premium movie channels when I was a kid sort of changed all of that, along with getting a VCR. Sporting events are about the only types of events like that, although musical performances and theatrical productions could make a case for it as well. People still enjoy concerts, and arenas or stadiums are still packed in some cities.

It's kind of less of an event, but if you're still excited or interested to see a movie, I still get about the same enjoyment (probably because I'll only find time for a half-dozen a year). While going to the movies as child was an event that also occurred maybe 5-6 times a year, and that made those a little more "special", the excitement wasn't dulled by hundreds of action movies, comedies, and other films which kind of evens out the nostalgia factor a bit.

Having movies and the like ready on an easily-reusable format are tremendously helpful when you have kids, or tremendously enjoy the movie or series. You couldn't reasonably do that 35-40 years ago, and the idea of "selling" the movie 6 months after it left the theaters (or sooner) is really only 25 years old. but I guess that kind of made the movie event something more important, rather than a thing you can idly pay attention to while doing something else.
I understand your points. The point I was making was that the scarcity of the movie made it more special to watch. Prior to the 1980s, depending on the area, you had 2-3 network stations plus 1-2 independents. Perhaps it is the nostalgia factor. Would I want to go back to that? Nope. I prefer my wall o'movies in my closet. I have some series and movies that are so niche and not well known in my collection. Anyone else have the following:

• 5ive (1951)
  • 6ixtynin9 (Thai, 1999)
  • Mamoru Oshii's Avalon (2000)
  • Series 7: The Contenders (2001)
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Scott5114

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 22, 2015, 07:06:37 AM
i just graduated with a degree in civil engineering, and had a similar experience in all of my math classes not allowing calculators, it was very annoying!

My job revolves around dealing with $100,000—$150,000 in cash every single day.

There is a calculator at every single workstation, and of course Windows has a calculator too, just in case something happens to that one.

When the result matters, you simply can't rely on the human brain.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

silverback1065

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 22, 2015, 09:56:51 PM
i just graduated with a degree in civil engineering, and had a similar experience in all of my math classes not allowing calculators, it was very annoying!

There is a calculator at every single workstation, and of course Windows has a calculator too, just in case something happens to that one.

Nowadays you are never far from a calculator, all cellphones have them too.

US81

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 22, 2015, 09:56:51 PM

I guess it's my age showing, but I always double-check important calculations in my head.

My reasoning is:If I calc in my head, I may forget to "carry the 1" but the power of 10 is mostly likely to be correct in my answer.  A calculator only gives you the correct answer to what you type in ("GIGO") and an error like a missed decimal point in entry could potentially yield any answer.  The double-check of one with the other gives me confidence in the answer.

But I'm old, so....

Scott5114

I'm much more reliable when it comes to keying the problem into the calculator than I am not slipping up and thinking 7+4=10, or 5+3=9, or something dumb like that. That, and our calculators are actually adding machines, so I can double-check my entry by glancing at the tape before I go with it.

It's the little errors that I have to worry about, not the powers of 10; if I try to add $173.62 and $197.33 and get $19,906.62 it's obvious that I typoed somewhere. If I do it in my head and forget to carry a one and pay the customer $270.95 instead of $370.95 then I get written up (acceptable error range is ±$25).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bandit957

I always loved 45 RPM singles. They had much richer sound than CD's.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bugo

Quote from: bandit957 on April 23, 2015, 11:45:12 AM
I always loved 45 RPM singles. They had much richer sound than CD's.

I've been to too many loud concerts to be able to tell the difference.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 23, 2015, 06:27:50 AM
I'm much more reliable when it comes to keying the problem into the calculator than I am not slipping up and thinking 7+4=10, or 5+3=9, or something dumb like that. That, and our calculators are actually adding machines, so I can double-check my entry by glancing at the tape before I go with it.

It's the little errors that I have to worry about, not the powers of 10; if I try to add $173.62 and $197.33 and get $19,906.62 it's obvious that I typoed somewhere. If I do it in my head and forget to carry a one and pay the customer $270.95 instead of $370.95 then I get written up (acceptable error range is ±$25).

I know that there's been occasions where, for example, I tipped 10% instead of 20%.  I don't know why I would do that, other than I was just distracted and forgot my normal method of tipping.  Or add two somewhat easy numbers incorrectly.  Yet, if someone were to ask me to add $179.73 and $286.07, I would instantly think $180 + $286 = $466.  Take 27 cents away, add back 7 cents for a net of 20 cents less, thus $465.80.  I would have a harder time remembering the numbers told to me than I would adding them up!

kurumi

Even with a calculator, some arithmetic experience helped during temp jobs in finance areas. Sums disagree by a multiple of 9 == look for a pair of swapped digits.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

english si

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 22, 2015, 07:06:37 AMi just graduated with a degree in civil engineering, and had a similar experience in all of my math classes not allowing calculators, it was very annoying!
IIRC, due to odd university rules, the ONLY exams that calculators were allowed were maths ones, where a scientific calculator was rarely needed.

Most lecturers wangled exceptions to the rule.
Quote from: OracleUsr on April 22, 2015, 07:22:57 AM
My mother was in a class one time and said her professor didn't give partial credit because "You build bridge, bridge fall down, no partial credit" (she wasn't an engineering major, so I'm not sure exactly how that professor came up with that analogy)
Thank goodness I'm an Arts student now, so the marking is rather subjective, but at least I can get decent marks if I disagree with the lecturer if they take a shine to the way I disagree with them (sometimes works, sometimes really doesn't - especially when I attack the fundamental assumption of the module).

nexus73

When skip is running, go to Ch. 6 AKA The Super Bowl.  You'll hear all that classic CB crap going on!

38 LSB is also good for listening in to the DX.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

signalman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 23, 2015, 12:03:40 PM
I know that there's been occasions where, for example, I tipped 10% instead of 20%.  I don't know why I would do that, other than I was just distracted and forgot my normal method of tipping.  Or add two somewhat easy numbers incorrectly.  Yet, if someone were to ask me to add $179.73 and $286.07, I would instantly think $180 + $286 = $466.  Take 27 cents away, add back 7 cents for a net of 20 cents less, thus $465.80.  I would have a harder time remembering the numbers told to me than I would adding them up!
I thought that I was the only one who did math in my head along those lines.  It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who arrives at answers that way. 

As for tipping, I tend to lean towards 20% myself, and I will calculate it by figuring out 10% of the tab and then multiplying by 2.  If service was particularly bad and the server was rude or inattentive (especially if I could see that he/she wasn't busy, I will cut someone whom I can see is overworked some slack), then I will lean towards 10%.  Fortunately, those experiences for me have been quite rare.

corco

The manual transmission, and, generally, cars that required you to drive them, not merely steer and brake them.

The ability to be away from work when on vacation.

The ability to live in a legal grey area and circumvent minor laws.

Conversations about things where both parties speculated on the possible answer without looking up the answer on their phones.

The need to memorize.

I think a lot of the increasing black-and-whiteness of our society is a result of technological advances. With the "right" answer only a click away, people have the ability to form stronger opinions and a greater propensity to think they know everything. The 24-hour news cycle caused by technology hasn't helped it either. The internet also makes it easy to access thousands of people who share your opinion without having to talk to anybody that doesn't. That's a boon, for, say, the road enthusiast community but for political/religious groups that aren't hobby focused I'm not sure that it's that healthy. We're more connected than ever but that has oddly given us the ability to live more in a bubble than ever.

c172

I've become much less into TV, and watchmore things (news, sports, YouTube) on the web.

NE2

Quote from: corco on April 23, 2015, 06:05:25 PM
The internet also makes it easy to access thousands of people who share your opinion without having to talk to anybody that doesn't. That's a boon, for, say, the road enthusiast community
Or not, if you're a roadgeek who doesn't share the groupthink.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

Quote from: NE2 on April 23, 2015, 06:14:47 PM
Quote from: corco on April 23, 2015, 06:05:25 PM
The internet also makes it easy to access thousands of people who share your opinion without having to talk to anybody that doesn't. That's a boon, for, say, the road enthusiast community
Or not, if you're a roadgeek who doesn't share the groupthink.

Remember East Coast Hive Mind? Fuck being part of a hive.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on April 21, 2015, 09:31:36 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 21, 2015, 05:02:10 PM
As for CB, I recall about a year ago I tried to listen on one of my handhelds and got nobody. I live in one of the most densely populated regions of the country, you'd think there would have been some traffic. 15 years ago channel 19 used to be chock full of traffic, not anymore.
I had the same experience around the same time.  I used to use CBs with my friends back in the early 90s, and there was a lot of local non-trucker use in my area of NJ then (Philly burbs).  I went many years without a CB and about a year or so ago my wife bought me a handheld CB after hearing me talking about my old CB days.  Absolutely nothing out here (closer to the shore).  No trucks, no locals, nothing - even after a few rides up and down the GSP.  I still have it in the car, but it's relegated to the glovebox.

Handheld CBs don't work well at all.  Their range is severely limited by that little "rubber ducky" antenna.  CB antennas should not be shorter than 36" physically (and not less than 108" electrically).

I usually hear some chatter in the densely populated areas.  'Course I run a 6-1/4 foot antenna, with counterpoise underneath...and I just bought a 7-foot antenna that will be installed soon.

I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

roadman

I miss the over-the-air shortwave broadcasts that most foreign countries have eliminated in favor of web sites.  I'd much rather listen to a radio broadcast on an actual radio instead of relying on my computer.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hbelkins

Quote from: bugo on April 24, 2015, 05:24:20 AM

Remember East Coast Hive Mind? Fuck being part of a hive.

That was just Calrog being Calrog. And then CC took the joke and ran with it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman

Quote from: Brian556 on April 21, 2015, 06:33:08 PM

Barricade Lights. No longer used in Texas. Less need due to brighter sheeting.

That appears to be the case in most states nowadays for barricade and drum lights.  Many states have also eliminated the need for drums on tangent sections of lane closures and allow cones instead.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

lepidopteran

On the subject of media such as movies or music being too readily available, consider this picture:

Note the look in that woman's eyes upon receiving 11 new 8-track tapes.  Sure, that's done as an exaggerated promotion, but it drives home a point: back when music was an object you "possessed", you were often excited about listening to a new record or tape; if you enjoyed it, you might play it over and over again until it eventually wore out.  Albums were far more cherished then.

Would that lady be just as excited about receiving a Spotify premium account, which is the equivalent of, say, a 53-foot trailer full of different 8-tracks (OK, probably way more than that), and with better sound quality?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.