News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Rhode Island News

Started by southshore720, April 21, 2015, 05:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: spooky on October 06, 2017, 02:03:18 PM
Quote from: Alps on October 06, 2017, 12:08:15 AM
The article suggests a future I-295 interchange at RI 5.
http://www.dot.ri.gov/documents/news/I-295_RI-5_Interchange_MERGED.pdf
Is this under construction, or final design, or?

Under construction.
Last Providence meet was 2010. Let's bring another one on!

JJBers

Quote from: Alps on October 06, 2017, 05:46:50 PM

Under construction.
Last Providence meet was 2010. Let's bring another one on!
ok?
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

dcbjms

I don't know if this was mentioned earlier, but here's a construction project that's going to mess up traffic in my neighborhood:
http://www.valleybreeze.com/2017-09-19/pawtucket/newport-avenue-will-get-49-million-reconstruction#.Wfd_hEP84Xc

dcbjms

So that's why there's backup on Rte. 44 when I'm on the bus I take to get to work and back.  That and orange signs everywhere in Greenville and near Apple Valley about road closures on Rte. 5.

spooky

I saw a VMS at the state line on I-295 which said that exit renumbering work is starting 11/27.

bob7374

Quote from: spooky on November 09, 2017, 03:22:52 PM
I saw a VMS at the state line on I-295 which said that exit renumbering work is starting 11/27.
Thanks for the info. Was thinking on a trip to check on I-295 the weekend before Thanksgiving, now probably the weekend before Christmas.

PHLBOS

Update & thread bump:

One of the AET gantries for the FHWA-approved truck tolling in the Ocean State is being installed.

First Truck Toll Gantry Installed on Route 95 South in Exeter 
Note: there is a paywall after a number of viewings.
The article does mention that the AET gantries once used for the short-lived RI 24/Sakonnet Bridge toll will be reused and installed along other sections of I-95.

Worth noting:
Quote from: Providence Journal ArticleThe Rhode Island Trucking Association has called the truck tolls unconstitutional and said it will exhaust every legal avenue to stop them.

A court challenge is expected once toll collecting begins.

"Installation of the unconstitutional truck-only tolling gantries does nothing more than frame-up timing for the State's costly legal battle that will be funded with taxpayer dollars,"  Rhode Island Trucking Association President Christopher Maxwell wrote in an email. "The RI Trucking Association and the American Trucking Associations are supremely confident in our position that tolling only trucks is illegal. We look forward to a favorable legal decision that protects Rhode Island's working families and small businesses."

They may not necessarily win this one for the simple reason that truck-only tolls do exist on other roadways.  NY State Thruway's Spring Valley Plaza just north of the Garden State Parkway interchange/Exit 14A converted to a truck-only toll during the mid-1990s.  However, in that instance, the road was a toll facility from day one and the plaza originally charged a toll for *all* vehicles.  The change to truck-only tolls (at this location) was viewed as giving passenger vehicles a financial break.

With the above in mind, the RI Trucking Association's litigation may be just a delay-tactic in terms of when the truck tolls start being charged.

Stay tuned.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

I wonder how long before they start tolling everyone, especially with Trump's infrastructure plan.  CT too.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: vdeane on February 16, 2018, 01:18:07 PM
I wonder how long before they start tolling everyone, especially with Trump's infrastructure plan.  CT too.

Fearless Leader (our governor) of the People's Republic of CT wants tolls to be installed by 2023. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

SectorZ

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 17, 2018, 09:19:02 PM

Fearless Leader (our governor) of the People's Republic of CT wants tolls to be installed by 2023.

Does he intend on being around by then? Last I knew he was (in polls) the second most unpopular governor in the country, and #1 (Chris Christie) isn't one anymore.

hotdogPi

Quote from: SectorZ on February 18, 2018, 04:31:16 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 17, 2018, 09:19:02 PM

Does he intend on being around by then? Last I knew he was (in polls) the second most unpopular governor in the country, and #1 (Chris Christie) isn't one anymore.

He's not running for reelection in 2018.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

PHLBOS

Apparently, there are plans in the works to reconfigure the various ramps and approaches (most of which are part of RI 138) to the Newport (Pell) Bridge on the Newport side.
State Outlines Plan for Pell Bridge Ramps

Unfortunately, the article does not show any concept sketches of the new scheme/configuration; but one's thing's certain, the old stub, that would've been either part of I-895 or an extension of RI 24 will be going bye-bye.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

AMLNet49

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 02, 2018, 09:26:52 AM
Apparently, there are plans in the works to reconfigure the various ramps and approaches (most of which are part of RI 138) to the Newport (Pell) Bridge on the Newport side.

Unfortunately, the article does not show any concept sketches of the new scheme/configuration; but one's thing's certain, the old stub, that would've been either part of I-895 or an extension of RI 24 will be going bye-bye.

Damn I always held out hope that maybe one day it'd be connected to 24, driving through there is an absolute nightmare in either direction

bob7374

The first RI 146 sign replacement contract has been awarded. Information from the RIDOT website:
Route 146 Guide Sign Improvements North- Contract 1 (N Smithfield)
Low Bidder: LIDDELL BROS. INC
Bid Amount: $1,493,427.34

This is the same contractor replacing signs on the eastern half of the Mass Pike. Presumably they may start work in RI after that project is done which is to be later this spring.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: AMLNet49 on March 02, 2018, 04:27:41 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on March 02, 2018, 09:26:52 AM

Damn I always held out hope that maybe one day it'd be connected to 24, driving through there is an absolute nightmare in either direction

Which means the end for this gem:
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

jon daly

Under construction.

Citizens Bank is building a new corporate campus out there. I work for them and by workplace will be moving there from Riverside in the fall. It's closer to where I live in southern CT and Google Maps says that it's about ten minutes less of a drive, but I'm not sure if that time savings will remain once the impact of extra cars on I-295 actually occurs.

jon daly

I've noticed a new guardrail near the inside lane of I-95 North along the curve where it meets RI-4. I was on vacation for over a week, so I'm not 100% sure when it was put up.

jon daly

jon daly

lowerdeck

The Greenville Ave. exit off 295 opens July 28th

jon daly

I heard the DOT director on the radio this morning and he said late July/early August. THere's a firm date now? Sweet. I'll be working right off of that exit soon.

roadman

Quote from: jon daly on June 06, 2018, 11:43:28 AM
Tractor trailer tolling is about to begin.

http://turnto10.com/news/local/ridot-tractor-trailer-truck-tolling-to-begin-june-11th

Stayed at a motel in West Greenwich this past Saturday night (July 14th).  Noticed the signs on Route 102 at the entrances to I-95 southbound have new "TRACTOR TRAILER TOLL (with tiny right arrow)" tabs.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

PHLBOS

Update regarding the new truck tolling along I-95 in RI.  Upshoot: it collected more money than anticipated and no major increase in shunpiking was noticed.

DOT says first month of R.I. truck tolling: $625,989

Quote from: Providence Journal articleThe DOT said it appears fewer trucks than expected avoiding state's two tolls on Route 95, is moving ahead with plans to install 10 more toll gantries.
The Rhode Island Department of Transportation says the state made more money than expected in its first month of tolling trucks.

Receivables from June 11 to July 10 totaled $625,989, which is $27,322 more than estimated, according to a DOT press release.

The DOT also said it appears that fewer trucks than expected are avoiding the state's two tolls on Route 95 in Washington County. The DOT had estimated that 177,000 vehicles would pass through the tolls during the first month of operation, but the actual number was 188,815.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jon daly

Ned Lamont, one of the Conn. gubernatorial candidates is proposing something similar regarding truck tolls.

Also:

New exit in R.I..: http://turnto10.com/news/local/officials-mark-opening-of-new-i-295-exit-in-johnston

jon daly

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.