News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Older Massachusetts Paddle Signs

Started by Zeffy, June 24, 2015, 08:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

How many of these signs still remain out in the field? I'm guessing this particular one may have been replaced since the Google Maps street view image is from 2008, but it made me wonder how many of these still lurk in Massachusetts. I remember seeing another one on Google Maps before, but I can't remember where it was. Perhaps it was Marlborough, not sure.

One thing I like about these signs is the route number through the arrow, instead of placing a route shield. I think it looks good.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

yanksfan6129

Based on my last trip to Mass., there are still plenty of them.

SectorZ

Quote from: Zeffy on June 24, 2015, 08:28:18 PM
How many of these signs still remain out in the field? I'm guessing this particular one may have been replaced since the Google Maps street view image is from 2008, but it made me wonder how many of these still lurk in Massachusetts. I remember seeing another one on Google Maps before, but I can't remember where it was. Perhaps it was Marlborough, not sure.

One thing I like about these signs is the route number through the arrow, instead of placing a route shield. I think it looks good.

I see a few around but they are dying a death of attrition. The one you linked was replaced at some point before I moved from Fitchburg last year.

Rothman

I grew up in Massachusetts.  Every time I go back, I see fewer of them, but they're still around.

For some reason, I particularly miss the ones on MA 63 North as it turns left in North Amherst from MA 116 and the ones on RT 9 at its junction with RT 47.  I know putting the shields on them makes them more legible and understandable, but there was just something endearing about those old signs.

They did get pretty ridiculous with multiplexes in the Boston area, though, without the differentiation between state and U.S. and even Interstate routes. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bob7374

Here's one of two at the corner of the Southern Artery and Washington Street in Quincy (the other can be seen by scanning to the left), there's a third a 1/4 mile further north on the southbound side. These, IIRC, are the closest old style paddle signs to where I live.

PHLBOS

When I first opened this thread; I thought your question was regarding the much older paddle signs that still had the cut corners on top.  The newest of those signs are circa 1973.  From then on, MassDPW (at the time) converted to square/rectangular paddle signs that one sees today.

Scroll down for example of cut-corner D6 Paddle LGS

It's worth noting that MassDPW (later MassHighway) maintained the old school layout with respect to arrows and only route numbers (no shields unless such was an Interstate and usually only for the top "D6" panel) through the late 80s and possibly into 1990 depending on the district DPW office until 1994.

Once upon a time, the arrow through the route shield (originally just the route number) used layout to appear on large highway signs (aka BGS').  Such was very common from the mid-60s and earlier.

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on June 24, 2015, 09:10:01 PMBased on my last trip to Mass., there are still plenty of them.
I was up there this past weekend so I can concur.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

dgolub

It's been about five years since the last time I was in Massachusetts, but my recollection is that there were still plenty of them.

Zeffy

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 25, 2015, 08:22:39 AM
When I first opened this thread; I thought your question was regarding the much older paddle signs that still had the cut corners on top.  The newest of those signs are circa 1973.  From then on, MassDPW (at the time) converted to square/rectangular paddle signs that one sees today.

It's worth noting that MassDPW maintained the old school layout with respect to arrows and only route numbers (no shields unless such was an Interstate and usually only for the top "D6" panel) through the late 80s and possibly into 1990 depending on the district DPW office.

Oh, I forgot about those ones entirely! Those look much more scarce than the ones I linked.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

PHLBOS

Quote from: Zeffy on June 25, 2015, 09:14:57 AMOh, I forgot about those ones entirely! Those look much more scarce than the ones I linked.
That's because they're a lot older.  :sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

It's worth noting that MassDPW maintained the old school layout with respect to arrows and only route numbers (no shields unless such was an Interstate and usually only for the top "D6" panel) through the late 80s and possibly into 1990 depending on the district DPW office.

The policy regarding route shields on D6 and D8 signs was changed in 1994, largely due to prompting from the Feds.  Prior to that time, shields were only used for Interstate routes, and only on D6 (top) signs.  All other signs generally used the "arrow through route number" convention, athough in the 'cut corner' days, it was not uncommon for the Interstate shield to be mounted above the D6 sign (I remember that, years ago, the old 'cut corner' advance sign for I-93 on MA 129 at the Reading/Wilmington line had this arrangement).

The next big change in MassDOT secondary route guide signs is that they are currently phasing in the use of mixed-case destination legends, to be in conformance with the 2009 MUTCD.  The interim design guidelines call for use of mixed case legends (8 inch uppercase/6 inch lowercase) only where they can be used on MassDOT standard D6/D8 sheet aluminum blanks, and where they can be placed on all signs within a given project - this is for consistency at any given location.   The first major project to incorporate these interim standards is the Route 28 Bourne resurfacing and safety improvement project #606178, for which bids were opened on June 23rd.

While this appears to be the beginning of the end for the 'paddle sign' era in Massachusetts, the majority of the D6 and D8 signs recently installed as part of MassDOT's sign update projects should remain in place for the next fifteen to eighteen years.

It is expected that the final design guidelines, which should be issued by the end of 2015, will call for extruded sign panels on single steel beam posts instead of the current 0.250 inch thick sheel aluminum panels top mounted on the tubular posts.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

spooky

This is what I expected as well.

Quote from: dgolub on June 25, 2015, 09:02:36 AM
It's been about five years since the last time I was in Massachusetts, but my recollection is that there were still plenty of them.

They're dying a slow death, but there are still plenty around.

JakeFromNewEngland

I've seen a few scattered around Western and Central MA. I also remember seeing one somewhere on the Cape but I forget where.

bob7374

Quote from: bob7374 on June 24, 2015, 11:22:34 PM

Here's one of two at the corner of the Southern Artery and Washington Street in Quincy (the other can be seen by scanning to the left), there's a third a 1/4 mile further north on the southbound side. These, IIRC, are the closest old style paddle signs to where I live.
Here's one close to my former home, at the intersection of East and Hull Streets in Hingham (this is from 2008, but it was still there when I passed by on July 6).

dcbjms

Remnants still linger around the areas of Mass. I occasionally frequent (Wrentham, the Attleboros, Seekonk, Rehoboth, Swansea) yet during a major realignment and repaving project at an intersection near me (Baker's Four Corners) most of the signs were replaced, except for an advance sign that is currently hidden by hedges.  Personally, I think it's a system that makes sense since much of New England shares the same route shield type, so showing the actual shield would be redundant (with the exception of NH and VT).  The only way, IMO, the current system would work is if the New England Interstate Route system was revived, but that's me.

SectorZ

Pete from Boston

Does anyone know of a photo of two of the cut-corner variety in white that directed motorists to parks along Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester at least into the 1980s?  They were at the lake shore where Belmont St. (Route 9) crossed into Shrewsbury, and were the only white ones I've seen.

SectorZ

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 30, 2015, 05:56:46 PM
Does anyone know of a photo of two of the cut-corner variety in white that directed motorists to parks along Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester at least into the 1980s?  They were at the lake shore where Belmont St. (Route 9) crossed into Shrewsbury, and were the only white ones I've seen.

Curious if the color had anything to do with that area of Shrewsbury being known as White City?

roadman

Quote from: Cjzani on July 01, 2015, 07:50:31 AM

Curious if the color had anything to do with that area of Shrewsbury being known as White City?

Nope.  Prior to 1966, all Massachusetts D6 and D8 directional signs were black legend on white background.   A handful of these signs, mostly on non-numbered state roads connecting to parks and beaches, survived into the 1980s and 1990s before being replaced.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

SidS1045

White City was an amusement park in the western part of Shrewsbury, bordering Lake Quinsigamond.  The park closed in 1960 but the name for that area stuck.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

SectorZ

Quote from: roadman on July 01, 2015, 12:33:05 PM

Nope.  Prior to 1966, all Massachusetts D6 and D8 directional signs were black legend on white background.   A handful of these signs, mostly on non-numbered state roads connecting to parks and beaches, survived into the 1980s and 1990s before being replaced.

I am shocked I don't remember those, I must've seen some of them as a kid.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: SidS1045 on July 01, 2015, 03:59:49 PM

White City was an amusement park in the western part of Shrewsbury, bordering Lake Quinsigamond.  The park closed in 1960 but the name for that area stuck.

The signs were in Worcester, and I've never seen that name cross the lake.  But roadman, of course, has already explained their likely origin.

roadman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 01, 2015, 05:09:05 PM
The signs were in Worcester, and I've never seen that name cross the lake.  But roadman, of course, has already explained their likely origin.

The last black on white "cut corner" D6 sign I recall seeing "in the flesh" was for Crane Beach in Ipswich in about 1988.  Haven't been to Ipswich in years, but I would think it's been replaced since then.

Beeper1

There may still be some white cut corner ones out in the town of Mt. Washington. Las time I was there (2013) most were still there but either pretty badly faded or had been repainted by the town and no longer had their original paint.

They were all still on concrete posts with the state shield medallion in them. 

Rothman

When I was a kid, the signs directing you to the Quabbin along MA 9 were black-on-white, IIRC.  They were replaced long ago, however.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

doogie1303

Bigger question is how many wooden ones still exist? Last time I paid attention to them they look like they were now made out of sheet metal.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.