News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The "Future" I-26 is arriving finally

Started by edwaleni, December 06, 2020, 09:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

I laughed as I drove through Asheville, NC recently and noticed the "Future" I-26 signs through town.

It was obvious why the name had been around because the narrowness, the geometries, exit ramp styles all screamed old and non-compliant.

Well, apparently 2021 is the year it begins the process of losing its "Future" moniker and becomes the "current".

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/asheville-i-26-connector/Pages/default.aspx

The approximately 7-mile project involves three sections:

Section A, which involves upgrading I-240 (as well as interchanges at Brevard, Amboy and Haywood roads) from the I-26/I-240 interchange with I-40 to the I-240 interchange with Patton Avenue west of the French Broad River.
Section B, which includes building the interstate on a new location from the Patton Avenue interchange north across the French Broad River, tying into U.S. 19/23/70 south of Broadway.
Section C, which involves improvements to the I-40 interchanges with Smokey Park Highway, I-26/I-240 and Brevard Road.

The I-26 Connector would be a median-divided, fully controlled-access freeway accessible only via interchanges. To reduce the required right-of-way, there would be a barrier median dividing opposing directions of travel.

But it is going to take awhile to get it all sorted out.

2021 - Property acquisition and construction begins on building I-26 on a new location from the Patton Avenue interchange to U.S. 19/23/70​
​2022 - Property acquisition and construction begins on  upgrading I-240
​​2025 - Property acquisition and construction begins on the I-40 interchanges with Smokey Park Highway, I-26/I-240 and Brevard Road​   

Rothman

Hm.  In NY, ROW acquisition starts a year before PS&E.  Wonder how it happens in NC, with acquisition and construction in the same year.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Henry

About time this project got started! Hopefully, the rest of the Future route will be upgraded soon as well.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Rothman

Quote from: Rothman on December 07, 2020, 12:24:43 AM
Hm.  In NY, ROW acquisition starts a year before PS&E.  Wonder how it happens in NC, with acquisition and construction in the same year.
I really shouldn't post at 1 a.m....
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cowboy_wilhelm

Those project pages on NCDOT's website are always out-dated. The project is a "progressive" design-build and the first section isn't scheduled to be let until October 2023 now. R/W acquisition should start in 2022. The I-26/I-40 interchange revisions have been delayed until 2029. NCDOT's finances have been in trouble since 2018, and COVID has made things MUCH worse. At nearly a billion dollars, I'll be surprised if it starts in 2024, although it appears NCDOT is securing hundreds of millions in bond funding for the project.

The future revisions north of Asheville (A-0010) had been scheduled for this year or next, but that project has been delayed to 2026.

36 MONTH TENTATIVE DESIGN-BUILD LET LIST (NOVEMBER 2020 - OCTOBER 2023)
Current STIP
Part of I-26 Connector could be delayed, DOT says

wdcrft63

By the time it's finished, this intensely NIMBY'd project will be more than half a century in the making.

Buck87

Well, whenever they get to it, I'm glad to see the new location portion will be the first thing done

The Ghostbuster

It's about time! The existing Interstate 26/240 freeway is not only a substandard four-lane highway, it also looks hideous. Hopefully, once the reconstruction project is complete, it will look a lot better.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on December 07, 2020, 06:04:51 PM
Those project pages on NCDOT's website are always out-dated. The project is a "progressive" design-build and the first section isn't scheduled to be let until October 2023 now. R/W acquisition should start in 2022. The I-26/I-40 interchange revisions have been delayed until 2029. NCDOT's finances have been in trouble since 2018, and COVID has made things MUCH worse. At nearly a billion dollars, I'll be surprised if it starts in 2024, although it appears NCDOT is securing hundreds of millions in bond funding for the project.

The future revisions north of Asheville (A-0010) had been scheduled for this year or next, but that project has been delayed to 2026.

I was all excited for a moment, but this post brought all that crashing down. Ouch.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 08, 2020, 06:38:23 PM

I was all excited for a moment, but this post brought all that crashing down. Ouch.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I didn't want anyone to get too excited. Everything was on track a couple of years ago. Hurricanes and other crazy rainfall events the past couple of years, plus the Map Act lawsuits decimated NCDOT's budget before the gas tax revenues nose-dived this year.

Here's the September 2020 revisions to the STIP showing the delays and the proposed bond amounts (BUILD NC for section A and GARVEE for section B).

They also updated the Project Breakdown Map on Thursday to reflect the new dates.

Quote from: wdcrft63 on December 07, 2020, 06:15:38 PM
By the time it's finished, this intensely NIMBY'd project will be more than half a century in the making.

With an estimated 114 residential and 35 business relocations, it will quite literally be in a lot of people's back yards. This is a $1 billion project for 5 miles of highway (which yes, could have cost a lot less had it been done 25 years ago).

architect77

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on December 12, 2020, 07:32:45 AM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 08, 2020, 06:38:23 PM

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I didn't want anyone to get too excited. Everything was on track a couple of years ago. Hurricanes and other crazy rainfall events the past couple of years, plus the Map Act lawsuits decimated NCDOT's budget before the gas tax revenues nose-dived this year.

Here's the September 2020 revisions to the STIP showing the delays and the proposed bond amounts (BUILD NC for section A and GARVEE for section B).

They also updated the Project Breakdown Map on Thursday to reflect the new dates.

Quote from: wdcrft63 on December 07, 2020, 06:15:38 PM

With an estimated 114 residential and 35 business relocations, it will quite literally be in a lot of people's back yards. This is a $1 billion project for 5 miles of highway (which yes, could have cost a lot less had it been done 25 years ago).

Could you find out when the final section of US401 to Louisburg begins construction? The section being built now probably will be finished in a year.

However I think I saw somewhere that the final 6-7 miles to Louisburg wouldn't begin construction until 2029 which is very upsetting to me.

silverback1065

i never understood why 26 was signed east west. it never goes east west ever!

hotdogPi

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 12, 2020, 08:06:02 PM

What odd nonduplicate number would you give it?
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

silverback1065

Quote from: 1 on December 12, 2020, 08:24:43 PM

What odd nonduplicate number would you give it?

tjcreasy

Unfortunately there aren't any duplicate N-S interstate numbers available within the grid.

cowboy_wilhelm

Never say never.

Why is everyone so hung up about the numbering of I-26? That comes up in every discussion about I-26. Nobody ever mentions I-85 running more east-west than north-south and why it isn't an even numbered Interstate.

hotdogPi

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on December 13, 2020, 10:49:31 AM
Nobody ever mentions I-85 running more east-west than north-south and why it isn't an even numbered Interstate.

I actually have seen that complaint several times before.
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

fillup420

I think the reason 85 and 26 are numbered as such has to do with the coastline. It is common to think of the east coast as running north-south, despite that not always being the case. So the highways are numbered according to how they run relative to the coast. I-85 roughly parallels the east coast from I-95 to Atlanta, and I-26 runs perpendicular to it, especially in SC. I may be talking out my ass but it helps the numbers make more sense to me.

Roadgeekteen

How dang long has this interstate been future?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

wdcrft63

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 13, 2020, 05:57:20 PM
About 30 years, since the approval of extending the interstate from Asheville to Tennessee. Prior to that extension I-26 only ran from Asheville to Charleston SC, so it looked more east-to-west then than it does now.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: wdcrft63 on December 13, 2020, 06:27:52 PM
About 30 years, since the approval of extending the interstate from Asheville to Tennessee. Prior to that extension I-26 only ran from Asheville to Charleston SC, so it looked more east-to-west then than it does now.
But when did it become not-future in Tennesse?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 13, 2020, 07:26:56 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on December 13, 2020, 06:27:52 PM
But when did it become not-future in Tennesse?

I-181 became I-26 in Tennessee in 2003, when the freeway in western (well, you know what I mean) North Carolina was completed.

The main engineer, or one of the main engineers, of that project had a numbingly detailed web site of the construction of that bit of I-26, which I found absolutely fascinating, but I can't seem to find it anymore.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

silverback1065

is it supposed to go further north than tennessee?

NJRoadfan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.