Pittsburgh - August 10th, 2019

Started by noelbotevera, August 30, 2018, 02:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Postmeet Activities

Kennywood Amusement Park
1 (16.7%)
Bridge tour (Three Sisters, West End)
4 (66.7%)
Tunnel tour (Wabash, Armstrong, Liberty)
4 (66.7%)
Nike missile sites
2 (33.3%)
Monroeville Mall
4 (66.7%)
Bigelow Mosaic (in case I choose not to have it on the tour)
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

A.J. Bertin

It's been a while since there's been discussion about this meet, so I figured I'd revive this thread. Is this still a possibility for July or August?
-A.J. from Michigan

noelbotevera

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on January 22, 2019, 09:09:46 PM
It's been a while since there's been discussion about this meet, so I figured I'd revive this thread. Is this still a possibility for July or August?
Eh, perhaps. I should be able to pull this off fairly cheaply. The big focus right now is funding our trip to the Philippines, and plane tickets along with other expenses...it's not cheap.

Nonetheless, if I can't go, I'll at the very least write up the itinerary. Somebody else can take the meet from there.

Alps

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 22, 2019, 09:29:39 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on January 22, 2019, 09:09:46 PM
Eh, perhaps. I should be able to pull this off fairly cheaply. The big focus right now is funding our trip to the Philippines, and plane tickets along with other expenses...it's not cheap.

Nonetheless, if I can't go, I'll at the very least write up the itinerary. Somebody else can take the meet from there.
I can host if I have enough boots on the ground to scout.

Alps

Alps

noelbotevera

Thanks a bunch. I'll see if I can't spend time this weekend to write out an itinerary. I'll edit this post with a Google Docs link later, which should be the full agenda.

Alps

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 02, 2019, 12:50:09 AM
Thanks a bunch. I'll see if I can't spend time this weekend to write out an itinerary. I'll edit this post with a Google Docs link later, which should be the full agenda.
You have some time. I would suggest running a draft by me first, and I may pass it to someone else well versed in PGH for that person's thoughts as well. It's been many years so I want to make this a great one.

A.J. Bertin

-A.J. from Michigan

TheHighwayMan3561

See you guys there (tentatively)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

signalman

I'm looking forward to this as well.  I wasn't going to meets when the last Pittsburgh meet was held and I've never really explored the area too much.  I also like to think that I got the ball for this meet back into motion.  I hadn't heard much about it since it was proposed, so I asked Alps about it last week and viola here comes talk about it!

noelbotevera

Itinerary update...hitting a few snags. Yes, I'm also aware that I must make that Facebook event. I'll make a link when I do it.

No clue as to how parking is around the city, as I'm trying to work out lunch. I've concluded that Etna is way too far from the pre-meet, and parking in the Strip District is tight. I'm thinking of a restaurant in the North Side, downtown, Oakland, or Mount Washington area.

As to stops, here's ideas I have so far (still working on the itinerary):

-Mount Washington (possible group photo?); won't require cars, thinking of using the Duquesne Incline
-Fort Pitt Tunnel EB ride
-Wabash Tunnel
-Southern Beltway (duh; possible photo op #2?)
-Pittsburgh Int'l Airport stubs (tied in w/Southern Beltway)
-New PA 28
-Allegheny River Blvd.
-PA 43
-Bridge tours (Three Sisters, West End, etc.)

So far, I've categorized them into three categories, basing them on where we go after lunch. I've also got a proposal for those who may not like what I pick.

Mt. Washington + Ft. Pitt + Wabash -> nearby/"South" choice
Pittsburgh Int'l + Southern Beltway -> "West/Far South" choice
New PA 28 + Allegheny River Blvd. -> "North" choice

I may create a second poll (can I do that?) for those who want to vote on where to go. If there is no decisive choice, then I'll do it "Providence" style, where everyone does their own thing (goes south, west, north, wherever) and then goes back to Pittsburgh to reconvene for dinner.

Oh, and some possible post-meet options (depending on when the meet wraps up, hopefully no later than 6 PM)

-Kennywood
-Dinner
-Clinching? (PA 43, I-279, US 19 Byp., I-376 Bus., etc.)

Again, pardon the indecisiveness and the delay on the itinerary.

EDIT: Changed the poll and reset all vote counts to zero.

Alps

I have the least interest in South since those are things I have already seen. On the other hand, they can be used as waypoints to go to other things. I would consider Mt. Washington as a "pre-meet" activity for those interested: meet at 9:00 AM, go up the Incline, take photos, then head to the meet lunch.
There is no need to apologize at this point. Much has not been set in stone. Let's aim to get the itinerary set by June.

Alps

noelbotevera

NOTE: Due to summer plans that MAY conflict with this roadmeet, I will have to prepare a backup date of July 27th.

In short, I'll probably be travelling to/in New Orleans (or the Philippines) by August 10th, so unless someone else wants to take over, I'll need a backup plan. Again, nothing is set in stone yet.

Also, there's a tie on the poll. Since I plan on checking out two new construction projects, I'll create a new poll for those who want to see PA 576 or PA 43. That'll come in the future.

Alps

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 18, 2019, 04:21:44 PM
NOTE: Due to summer plans that MAY conflict with this roadmeet, I will have to prepare a backup date of July 27th.

In short, I'll probably be travelling to/in New Orleans (or the Philippines) by August 10th, so unless someone else wants to take over, I'll need a backup plan. Again, nothing is set in stone yet.

Also, there's a tie on the poll. Since I plan on checking out two new construction projects, I'll create a new poll for those who want to see PA 576 or PA 43. That'll come in the future.
Still plenty of time. You're putting this together, so you should be there. I'm just helping with logistics.

baugh17

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 18, 2019, 04:21:44 PM

*COUGH* August 3rd *COUGH* ;)

mattpedersen

I'm interested in coming. Either date is fine for me, but I need to put in my leave request from work by the end of the month.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: kevinb1994 on April 11, 2019, 06:28:35 PM
I should make clear that that I haven't actually completely dropped my interest from this meet (despite saying that that I was no longer able to attend earlier in this thread due to flight/plane logistics that weren't working out after doing some research of my own), and will or won't attend based upon when the meet will actually be held mid-summer...and based upon said flight/plane logistics, which may or may not hinder my attendance to the point of not being able to attend this meet.

KEVIN...WE DON'T CARE!!!  :banghead:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

signalman

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 11, 2019, 07:57:30 PM
I should make clear that that I haven't actually completely dropped my interest from this meet (despite saying that that I was no longer able to attend earlier in this thread due to flight/plane logistics that weren't working out after doing some research of my own), and will or won't attend based upon when the meet will actually be held mid-summer...and based upon said flight/plane logistics, which may or may not hinder my attendance to the point of not being able to attend this meet.

I do. It determines whether I pack ear plugs or not.

noelbotevera

Right, I've got a definitive date. August 10th is the target, and I hope to have an itinerary ready by the time I leave for NOLA. I plan on reserving everything by July, and making final adjustments afterwards. Sorry about my silence; it's just that it's high school and it's almost to the end of the year.

Note that I can't afford reserving vans or anything. I'll open my car up for carpooling, but I hope nobody minds cramped back seats. I guess a head count on cars and people would be nice.

Finally, here's the Facebook event page. It's public. Link

Brandon

Quote from: signalman on April 11, 2019, 08:00:48 PM

:rofl:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Alps

Quote from: noelbotevera on April 11, 2019, 09:42:47 PM
Right, I've got a definitive date. August 10th is the target, and I hope to have an itinerary ready by the time I leave for NOLA. I plan on reserving everything by July, and making final adjustments afterwards. Sorry about my silence; it's just that it's high school and it's almost to the end of the year.

Note that I can't afford reserving vans or anything. I'll open my car up for carpooling, but I hope nobody minds cramped back seats. I guess a head count on cars and people would be nice.

Finally, here's the Facebook event page. It's public. Link

The van is a Jason thing. You'll come up with your signature move. Here as needed to help. We're gonna make meets great again!

Bitmapped

I would suggest not trying to do PA 43 as part of this meet. It's a long slog out to there via PA 51 from your other sites and frankly, there's nothing really all that interesting out there to see.

cl94

Quote from: signalman on April 11, 2019, 08:00:48 PM

This exchange wins the forum for the week.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

noelbotevera

Itinerary complete! Draft one, that is. This will also be posted on the Facebook page for suggestions. Still need somebody to scout, especially the PA 576 area.

Itinerary

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.