News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Culver’s is Coming Soon to our Area!

Started by kevinb1994, March 02, 2019, 04:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexus73

Quote from: cjk374 on March 04, 2019, 09:49:50 AM
Quote from: GaryV on March 04, 2019, 08:43:00 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on March 03, 2019, 02:50:40 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on March 03, 2019, 11:30:57 AM
Quote from: nexus73 on March 02, 2019, 06:22:17 PM
It will be a l....o....n....g time before a Culver's ever shows up in Oregon unfortunately. 

Rick

Not as long as they'll take to reach New England.  They've already reached Idaho; there's nothing east of Ohio or north of the Carolinas.

Oregon is surrounded by states with The Habit burger chain.  More are coming to eastern Washington and Idaho.  We just keep getting ignored!  Maybe our food is too good for our own good...LOL!

Rick
Maybe there's too many vegans and not enough carnivores.    :-D

I can see this as being a legitimate reason for not moving there.

That assumes the "legitimate reason" exists.  Uh-uh.  Nope.  Sorry! 

During the last decade a guy decided to buy and fix up a building to create a vegan Italian restaurant in downtown Coos Bay.  That turned into $750K going down the drain as three months later he was closed up due to a lack of business.  Yes, we do have vegan places here and they are outnumbered by more than 10 to 1.

If you read the Oregonian online you would see a ton of restaurant reviews.  10 Best!  40 Best!  100 Best!  Now we are talking about the PDX foodie scene.  If your assertion was correct, then the list should be hugely vegan.  Hate to break it to ya' buddy but SUCH IS NOT THE CASE!!!  Meat is a prominent feature of fine dining as well as casual dining and fast food in the Rose City.

"Oh, let's look at Eastern Oregon then!" you say.  Out there are the ranchers and farmers.  Don't forget the deer and big game hunting plus the fishing, which is quite popular out there.  If it moves, kill it and eat it!  Be careful during deer season as some of these inhabitants figure anything moving during hunting season "might just be" a deer...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

cjk374

Quote from: nexus73 on March 04, 2019, 09:59:38 AM

"Oh, let's look at Eastern Oregon then!" you say.  Out there are the ranchers and farmers.  Don't forget the deer and big game hunting plus the fishing, which is quite popular out there.  If it moves, kill it and eat it!  Be careful during deer season as some of these inhabitants figure anything moving during hunting season "might just be" a deer...LOL!

Rick

We have a couple of sayings about hunting:

If it's brown, it's down!

If it flies, it dies!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote from: nexus73 on March 04, 2019, 09:59:38 AM
It will be a l....o....n....g time before a Culver's ever shows up in Oregon unfortunately. 

Rick

Not as long as they'll take to reach New England.  They've already reached Idaho; there's nothing east of Ohio or north of the Carolinas.

Oregon is surrounded by states with The Habit burger chain.  More are coming to eastern Washington and Idaho.  We just keep getting ignored!  Maybe our food is too good for our own good...LOL!

Rick

That assumes the "legitimate reason" exists.  Uh-uh.  Nope.  Sorry! 

During the last decade a guy decided to buy and fix up a building to create a vegan Italian restaurant in downtown Coos Bay.  That turned into $750K going down the drain as three months later he was closed up due to a lack of business.  Yes, we do have vegan places here and they are outnumbered by more than 10 to 1.

If you read the Oregonian online you would see a ton of restaurant reviews.  10 Best!  40 Best!  100 Best!  Now we are talking about the PDX foodie scene.  If your assertion was correct, then the list should be hugely vegan.  Hate to break it to ya' buddy but SUCH IS NOT THE CASE!!!  Meat is a prominent feature of fine dining as well as casual dining and fast food in the Rose City.

Rick

This surprises me. Blame the rest of the West coast & media presentations of said coast for creating the "West coast is vegan" stereotype.

Then blame me for believing it & spreading it.  :pan:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on March 03, 2019, 08:30:14 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 03, 2019, 07:25:16 PM
Quote from: nexus73 on March 03, 2019, 06:06:17 PM
At least there was a movie made that featured White Castle.  There are none for In-N-Out Burger!

Rick

The bloom is off the rose for In-N-Out for me. Looking at their menu, I get the impression that the only thing you can get on their burger is a 1,000 Island dressing-based sauce, and that's a big NO in my book. A 4x4 with ketchup and mustard would be acceptable. 1,000 Island dressing. Blech.
Do you like anything? Anything that gets mentioned that other people like, nine times out of ten you say you don't like it. :D

I said I like Culver's.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on March 04, 2019, 01:05:22 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 03, 2019, 08:30:14 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 03, 2019, 07:25:16 PM
Quote from: nexus73 on March 03, 2019, 06:06:17 PM
At least there was a movie made that featured White Castle.  There are none for In-N-Out Burger!

Rick

The bloom is off the rose for In-N-Out for me. Looking at their menu, I get the impression that the only thing you can get on their burger is a 1,000 Island dressing-based sauce, and that's a big NO in my book. A 4x4 with ketchup and mustard would be acceptable. 1,000 Island dressing. Blech.
Do you like anything? Anything that gets mentioned that other people like, nine times out of ten you say you don't like it. :D

I said I like Culver's.  :-D
Where's a like button when you need one? :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Culver's isn't mind-blowing to me, but maybe that's because there are several nearby.  Sonic wasn't nearly as tasty once they opened one 10 minutes away, versus when the nearest one was an hour away.

DaBigE

Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 03, 2019, 08:45:04 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 03, 2019, 02:50:56 PM
I'm kind of bitter about Culver's becoming national. It was the one chain that was "ours" , and now everybody has it or will have it coming. The Midwest literally has nothing uniquely available like every other region has.

Yeah that sucks. I've seen Culver's in states that frankly shouldn't have them.

Huh? What state shouldn't have a Culvers?

Part of me would love to see one open in California just to spite their dairy industry.

I still remember the days of flipping over a Culvers tray liner and only seeing locations in Wisconsin and possibly northern Illinois.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Rothman

I never made it to the one in Superior, WI when I lived there and I regret it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

I think a large part of this debate, like so many other discussions on food, is the allure of what you don't have but others do. I see people pining for a Steak 'n Shake or a Whataburger, and think, "why?" There's nothing great, IMNSHO, about either place.

One exception is Freddy's. They recently opened a location in Lexington and I've eaten there a couple of times. The comparison I hear most often is Steak 'n Shake food coupled with Culver's desserts. I'll actively seek out a Freddy's now, if I'm in an area where they're located, but won't go to S 'n S unless I don't have a whole lot of other choices. And last Thursday, when I was in Lexington, I chose Culver's over both Five Guys and Freddy's. Passed a S 'n S and a Back Yard Burgers to get there, too.

briantroutman

I think the most apt comparison between Culver's and any other chain is Freddy's. In fact the two are close enough in terms of menus, price points, and overall "feel"  that I've often thought of Freddy's as being kind of a Culver's clone. (Though I consider Culver's to be the better of the two).

Quote from: DaBigE on March 04, 2019, 01:52:58 PM

There's something special about a restaurant when it isn't available everywhere. When I moved out to San Francisco and made my first coast-to-coast drives on I-80, it was nice to get past Chicago and finally see indications that I was in Culver's territory–which on that route at the time, stretched from roughly Chicago to Lincoln. But as the chain spread to additional parts of the country, encountering one became less and less of a special occasion. And the year I lived in Tampa and had multiple Culver's locations nearby, I found them to be a solid notch below their Great Plains counterparts in terms of friendliness, efficiency, and product quality.

For that matter, I don't think I've ever witnessed a nationwide expansion that resulted in the product remaining as good as it was when the company was just local or regional.

doorknob60

Rick

That's what I thought about In-N-Out, but those are in Oregon now. And with Culver's practically knocking on Oregon's backdoor with locations in Idaho, I wouldn't be too shocked to see some locations. Though I don't know if any of the Eastern Oregon cities are quite big enough to support one, and those are the cities close to SW Idaho. Though if Twin Falls can support a Culver's, I don't think it's a huge stretch to say one of Ontario, La Grande, Pendleton, or Hermiston could support one (though none of those seem terribly likely).

Not Oregon, but Tri-Cities may be a more likely next move westward. Maybe Bend, but being off the interstates makes it less likely. If they make it to Tri-Cities or Bend or somewhere in Eastern Oregon, I could maybe see a push into the Portland area. Chick-Fil-A finally made it into suburban Portland and they seem to be doing well, so why not Culver's?

Speaking of Culver's, I have to say I've definitely become a fan. I wish I lived or worked a bit closer to the Meridian location, because I'd go there quite a bit over Burger King and Wendy's which I currently frequent. But I try to stop there when I'm in the area, probably a couple times a month or so. I hope they open one in Boise proper. Not sure the best place, maybe they could take over the Freddy's that closed on Broadway (though if Freddy's couldn't succeed, maybe not the best location? It's also right next door to Sonic which could be tough competition). Or maybe near the mall or Boise Spectrum if a good space opens up. But the Meridian location seems to be doing quite well despite its odd location out of view from Eagle Rd, so a Boise location could probably do well even if the location is not the most ideal.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on March 04, 2019, 03:21:10 PMI see people pining for a Steak 'n Shake and think, "why?"
Oh, in that case, you definitely wouldn't like In-N-Out.  And don't bother eating at an M Burger if you ever run across one, either.

ce929wax

My two best friends and I eat at Steak N Shake often because it is relatively good and cheap (the three of us can get out of there for less than $20 usually and sometimes less than $15), however at the two locations here in Kalamazoo the service has been terrible the last two times we have gone.  I'm not sure if it is a one off, but we are hesitant to go back.

Rothman

I don't mind Steak 'N Shake.  My son's a big  fan though.

Flint1979

Steak N Shake is pretty good. The closest one to me is about 70 miles away though.

kevinb1994

I've only had Steak "˜n Shake once so far, wasn't terribly impressed despite the food not being too bad. Five Guys is where it's at...minus the horrendously salty fries, which is why we don't go there too often.

formulanone

Quote from: DaBigE on March 04, 2019, 01:52:58 PM
Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 03, 2019, 08:45:04 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 03, 2019, 02:50:56 PM
I’m kind of bitter about Culver’s becoming national. It was the one chain that was “ours”, and now everybody has it or will have it coming. The Midwest literally has nothing uniquely available like every other region has.

Yeah that sucks. I've seen Culver's in states that frankly shouldn't have them.

Part of me would love to see one open in California just to spite their dairy industry.

I still remember the days of flipping over a Culvers tray liner and only seeing locations in Wisconsin and possibly northern Illinois.

I have to imagine Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Alaska and Hawaii might have to wait their turn...while much of New England doesn't have as much land to give, though it's a gamble in an already hotly-contested segment.

I always felt that Florida was one of the last to get a regional chain, especially the southern third, due to the logistical cul-de-sac. But I suppose a good deal of Midwestern transplants changed all that. Also, the tremendous population changes and tourism helps a lot.

I could go for a Boston Cream custard after reading this thread.

Takumi

I thought Steak & Shake was very meh when one opened here. The prices weren't bad, at least.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

nexus73

Quote from: doorknob60 on March 04, 2019, 04:59:20 PM

Rick

That's what I thought about In-N-Out, but those are in Oregon now. And with Culver's practically knocking on Oregon's backdoor with locations in Idaho, I wouldn't be too shocked to see some locations. Though I don't know if any of the Eastern Oregon cities are quite big enough to support one, and those are the cities close to SW Idaho. Though if Twin Falls can support a Culver's, I don't think it's a huge stretch to say one of Ontario, La Grande, Pendleton, or Hermiston could support one (though none of those seem terribly likely).

Not Oregon, but Tri-Cities may be a more likely next move westward. Maybe Bend, but being off the interstates makes it less likely. If they make it to Tri-Cities or Bend or somewhere in Eastern Oregon, I could maybe see a push into the Portland area. Chick-Fil-A finally made it into suburban Portland and they seem to be doing well, so why not Culver's?

Speaking of Culver's, I have to say I've definitely become a fan. I wish I lived or worked a bit closer to the Meridian location, because I'd go there quite a bit over Burger King and Wendy's which I currently frequent. But I try to stop there when I'm in the area, probably a couple times a month or so. I hope they open one in Boise proper. Not sure the best place, maybe they could take over the Freddy's that closed on Broadway (though if Freddy's couldn't succeed, maybe not the best location? It's also right next door to Sonic which could be tough competition). Or maybe near the mall or Boise Spectrum if a good space opens up. But the Meridian location seems to be doing quite well despite its odd location out of view from Eagle Rd, so a Boise location could probably do well even if the location is not the most ideal.

The Habit has a trio of stores in Idaho.  Idaho?  Really?  Here is where the news gets even better.  More are coming, apparently in northern Idaho to go with some in eastern Washington, with Spokane getting their foot in the door first.  There must be some gold in them Palouse hills! 

TriCities, Hermiston, Pendleton, Walla Walla/Milton-Freewater, Ontario, Coeur d'Alene, Moscow, Pullman, Lewiston, Yakima, Ellensburg, Wenatchee, Bend/Redmond, out of all these mentioned cities, some are bound to land a major chain of some sort.  Strange as it sounds, Hermiston used to have a Fuddrucker's.  Go across the river to Clarkston and soon after doing so there is an Italian place while looks like and has the feel of a chain prototype.  They serve exceptionally good food too. 

May all your dining be delicious Doorknob60!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

kphoger

I love Culver's, but I also feel like I need to stretch out on the couch for about two hours after eating there.  That's a lot of grease!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

renegade

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 04, 2019, 06:05:53 PM
Steak N Shake is pretty good. The closest one to me is about 70 miles away though.
Yeah ... it's really good as long as you have three hours to kill ... the service leaves a lot to be desired!
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

abefroman329

Steak "˜n' Shake was a lot better 10-20 years ago, before they moved to that bullshit simplified menu.

MantyMadTown

Rick

Rick

What about the rest of Oregon? I'm sure it's mostly just Portland that's "full of vegans".
Forget the I-41 haters

renegade

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 04, 2019, 09:17:33 PM
Steak "˜n' Shake was a lot better 10-20 years ago, before they moved to that bullshit simplified menu.
Nah, dude, they were [messed] up WAY before that!
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on March 04, 2019, 05:01:32 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 04, 2019, 03:21:10 PMI see people pining for a Steak 'n Shake and think, "why?"
Oh, in that case, you definitely wouldn't like In-N-Out.  And don't bother eating at an M Burger if you ever run across one, either.

Don't get me wrong. S 'n S is OK, but I don't understand the huge attraction it has for a lot of people. And maybe my lone Whataburger experience was bad, but I don't see the big deal about it, either. I also don't get the appeal of Smashburger, either. Nowhere near as good as Five Guys, in my book.

In-N-Out, as noted previously, lost some of its luster upon my learning about the sauce.

Freddy's burgers and fries are reminiscent of S 'n S, but the desserts are similar to Culver's. Culver's also has a pretty good fish dinner.

Flint1979

Quote from: renegade on March 04, 2019, 09:01:33 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on March 04, 2019, 06:05:53 PM
Yeah ... it's really good as long as you have three hours to kill ... the service leaves a lot to be desired!
I have had that experience a couple times at Steak N Shake but have also been promptly waited on there as well. I've only been to two in the Metro Detroit area, the one closest to my house which is the one on the outparcel of Great Lakes Crossing in Auburn Hills and the other one was in Madison Heights off 14 Mile by I-75. I really don't think there service is that great though and I never really want to tip them much because of their service.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.