News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

New to Seattle

Quote from: realjd on May 23, 2014, 10:54:15 AM
^^^
There was an article a few years ago about how that roundabout is one of the safest intersections in the county. Lots of folks have no clue how to drive in it (especially common is turning left from the right lane) but the confusion makes everyone drive defensively. Accidents are surprisingly rare.

Well, that and the fact that unless someone's just gunning for the middle of the roundabout, which is absurd, cars can't broadside other cars. The traffic should all be facing the same way if there's a collision, which is much less serious.

Alas, in Seattle they've gone crazy with these puny little roundabouts on residential streets that are barely wide enough to force traffic to turn the steering wheel. It's still a huge improvement over the uncontrolled intersection, which I don't recall ever seeing (except maybe some dirt road) before moving here.

Alex

Quote from: Brian556 on June 01, 2014, 08:52:54 PM
Why is there a little sand pile next to every mile marker on I-10 in the FL Panhandle?

They are currently adding ITS to Interstate 10 between Santa Rosa and Gadsden. It may be related to that.

http://www.worldfiber.com/custom_type/fdot-district-3-10-intelligent-transportation-system-design-build/

roadman65

I was just shooting the breeze with a gentleman yesterday who remembers US 192 before it was extended to US 27.  He says the old FL 530 that was US 192 west of its parent, was not a straight road, but a bunch of other roadways that were two lanes wide.

He says Vine stopped at the west end of Kissimmee near Hoagland Boulevard.  I am guessing that he meant at what is now Old Vineland Road.  It evident that it was an old road hence its name and looping to and from US 192, so I assume that he was talking about the right turn at the end of Vine Street being at present day US 192 and Old Vineland/ Bass Road intersection near Wal Mart.  Then he mentioned another left along the way, which I must assume that it was at 535.  I  know the current US 192 and FL 535 intersection is a relocated one as the previous for sure was just east of its current spot and was a wye split.  You can see FL 535 NB ahead of you on WB US 192 before the curve just east of the 535 intersection.

It is so awesome to talk about roads with non road geeks and what their memories recall of old times before today's expanded road network.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brian556

QuoteHe says Vine stopped at the west end of Kissimmee near Hoagland Boulevard
sounds like he was referring to the street name Vine, which is given to the road only in Kissimmee. He could have bee trying to say that the road was only referred to as Vine as far west as Hogland, but continued on west as SR S-530. That's what the maps show.

Using the old General Highway Maps on UF's Library Website, and Historic Aerials; you can see all of this. The are even topos on Historic Aerials that show the straightening and widening underway. There is some abandoned pavement near Lindfields Blvd from one of the old bends.
https://maps.google.com/?ll=28.346303,-81.638838&spn=0.000827,0.001549&t=h&z=20
Of course, there was the old ACL RR that crossed SR S-530 on the W side of Kissimmee; but topos show a second one in the Disney area that was partially covered by CR 474, it continued east, then turned south crossing SR S-530 (now US 192) just W of Word Dr. I don't know the dates for it's existence and removal.

There is a pic on the AA Roads Shield Gallery of the overheads on WB US 192 at US 441/17/92 that has an S-530 straight ahead sign on it.

I do have some memories of US 192 from about 1990-91 when my father lived in Indian Wells. It was four lane divided rural. Most signs had already changed to black/white, but there were still a few green ones around. The street name signs said "SR 192", which really annoyed me, because I was 10-11 at the time and was already smarter than the adult that made them.

roadman65

I do not know as he was a non road geek, but Old Vineland across from Wal Mart and on the corner where the Wawa is now was once an alignment of S-530 probably when Old Tampa Highway was US 17-92 before OBT was constructed. 

Part of the old RR Grade you speak might of been the one that is now MLK Boulevard to the south of present day US 192.

I do know where the original US 192 and SR 535 intersection was and is visible today just west of the Target where US 192 curves to straighten out.  At night you can see the signals along 535 ahead of you along with the Buena Vista Palace on the horizon ahead of you after you pass that mini mall.

Sheryl Crowe

Brian556

In the Orlando area, on the north side of the Rock Springs Nature Preserve, what is going to happen to SR 46 once Wekiva Pkwy/Toll 429 is built?

Will it be frontage roads like SR 84 is to I-595; or remain a separate parallel road?

roadman65

I think the plan I have seen years back was that 46 would be frontage roads for 429.

As far as US 192 goes, I checked out the area of 192 and 535 on the way to work yesterday, and the old 535 is still drivable near Target.  The pavement still is in tact but severed from US 192 accessible via a connector road.  The old 192/535 intersection is just at the end of the Target Shopping Center going toward Old Town and Celebration.

Sheryl Crowe

mefailenglish

Passed through Chiefland yesterday.  The 19/98/Alt 27s were picked clean a couple of years ago, but the lone brown US 129 was left alone.  Not anymore.   :angry:

Before (a pic from Dec 2008)

After (a pic from 08 June 2014)

Alex

Quote from: mefailenglish on June 09, 2014, 06:07:59 PM
Passed through Chiefland yesterday.  The 19/98/Alt 27s were picked clean a couple of years ago, but the lone brown US 129 was left alone.  Not anymore.   :angry:

Ugh, that means that there are no Brown and Orange colored shields left in the state (I'd count that odd 27/41 pair you found as "red").

Avalanchez71

So was Brickell Ave turned over to Miami?  Is the signing chagned in the area?

Brian556

I think I've found a forgotten numbered State/County Road in Orange County FL. Topo maps on Historic Aerials show that the road leading into the Rock Springs Run State Preserve as SR S-433. Google Maps show it to be CR 433, though I have no idea if that's true. I kinds have doubts about that. This road is not listed on the Wikipedia "List Of County Roads in Orange County, Florida".

florida

Quote from: Brian556 on June 10, 2014, 11:00:25 PM
I think I've found a forgotten numbered State/County Road in Orange County FL. Topo maps on Historic Aerials show that the road leading into the Rock Springs Run State Preserve as SR S-433. Google Maps show it to be CR 433, though I have no idea if that's true. I kinds have doubts about that. This road is not listed on the Wikipedia "List Of County Roads in Orange County, Florida".

It is shown on Lake County highway maps as CR 433, but it was most likely not signed anymore after becoming a County Road. It ends at the Lake/Orange County Line at a gate, so it never entered Orange County https://www.google.com/maps/@28.786268,-81.4500717,431m/data=!3m1!1e3 .......but there are 'planning' maps (using that term loosely!) that show 'plans' for S-433 to both snake north to at least SR 44 and be a straight shot south to Bear Lake Road
So many roads...so little time.

roadman65

Was Dallas Boulevard in Eastern Orange County ever part of historic SR 13?  Also the road the Lockheed Martin has to the south of Dallas that leads to that weird looking air strip several miles to the south of the FL 528 ever also part of that road as well?

Sheryl Crowe

Henry

Quote from: mefailenglish on June 02, 2014, 10:43:00 PM
Why is there a little sand pile next to every mile marker on I-10 in the FL Panhandle?
Fire ants?
This should be interesting! Anyone have a photo of that?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

mefailenglish

Quote from: Henry on June 12, 2014, 04:38:16 PM
Quote from: mefailenglish on June 02, 2014, 10:43:00 PM
Fire ants?
This should be interesting! Anyone have a photo of that?
Yep.  As luck would happen, I passed through this area a few days ago.  Definitely not fire ants.  Like Alex said upstream:
Quote from: Alex on June 03, 2014, 10:27:01 AM
They are currently adding ITS to Interstate 10 between Santa Rosa and Gadsden. It may be related to that.

http://www.worldfiber.com/custom_type/fdot-district-3-10-intelligent-transportation-system-design-build/
Here's my so-so picture:

emory

#WelcometoBroward on Twitter generated this amusing picture, but no idea what street it is.

edit: Apparently it's in Lauderhill.

brickbuilder711

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 10, 2014, 01:36:25 PM
So was Brickell Ave turned over to Miami?  Is the signing chagned in the area?
Should have been, but when I biked in the vicinity back in March, I am not sure if the trailblazer changed, but the backlit illuminated signs at SE 26th Rd traffic light still said US-1.

D-Dey65

Quote from: formulanone on May 17, 2014, 11:03:54 PM
They probably have to keep the appearances of all structures within the same local architectural standards; not too many colors nor logos, signs kept to a minimum of size and height.
A block west of the Florida Hospital SunRail station on Florida SR 438 there's a 7-11 surrounded by walls for the same reasons.

mefailenglish

Quote from: Alex on May 23, 2014, 08:51:54 AM

They had an opening ceremony on Monday, but the tunnel is not actually open to motorists yet...

Opening ceremony for Miami port tunnel

PortMiami tunnel delayed another 4-6 weeks

roadman65

http://www.i4poincianaconnector.com/about-the-study.shtm

Here is a link to the plan of construction for Osceola County, FL proposed Kissimmee- St Cloud Beltway system.

Also activity is well underway between US 17 & 92 at Loughman, FL eastward into Osceola County's latest boom.  I saw some of it just recently, and it looks good.  I have not checked it out from the other end as it will connect to Magnolia Avenue in Poinciana which from what the map shows is being modified to accomodate it.

What is interesting is that the road is planned to be bridged.  I am guessing that is how the environmentalists allowed the road to be built next to Reedy Creek is to be like I-10 in LA is west of Baton Rouge.

Sheryl Crowe

florida

We've got two new state roads.

SR 925 comprises of both NW 3rd Court from NW 8th St to Flagler Ave (0.506 miles), and NW 3rd Ave from Flagler Ave to north of NW 8th St at the I-95 on-ramps (0.565 miles)

SR 960 is NW 14th St from east of NW 37th Ave (SR 836 off ramp) to 42nd Court (0.671)

US 1/SR 5 has been officially transferred off of Brickell on June 20th.

emory

Quote from: florida on July 09, 2014, 12:19:03 PM
We've got two new state roads.

SR 925 comprises of both NW 3rd Court from NW 8th St to Flagler Ave (0.506 miles), and NW 3rd Ave from Flagler Ave to north of NW 8th St at the I-95 on-ramps (0.565 miles)

SR 960 is NW 14th St from east of NW 37th Ave (SR 836 off ramp) to 42nd Court (0.671)

US 1/SR 5 has been officially transferred off of Brickell on June 20th.

I guess FDOT's attempt to adopt a road for SR 968 was a bust.

Did FDOT keep SR 970 for the Downtown Distributor or did they just delete the route now that SR 5 runs over the whole road?

florida

Quote from: emory on July 10, 2014, 01:12:23 AM
Did FDOT keep SR 970 for the Downtown Distributor or did they just delete the route now that SR 5 runs over the whole road?

I am not completely sure, but it most likely will be kept as SR 970 (and the two shields will probably remain standing). They'll probably do some patch-up signage of US 1 along the route like they did with US 17 & SR 228 in Jax.

realjd

I saw a red US-1 shield out in the wild at the Port of Miami a few days ago:
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.778263,-80.178467,3a,75y,209.33h,73.75t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sLwD25gfw0vgdjKtgGnjOZg!2e0

It's clearly not an FDOT sign but what's interesting is that it looks fairly new.

Brian556

quote from realjd:
QuoteI saw a red US-1 shield out in the wild at the Port of Miami a few days ago:
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.778263,-80.178467,3a,75y,209.33h,73.75t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sLwD25gfw0vgdjKtgGnjOZg!2e0

It's clearly not an FDOT sign but what's interesting is that it looks fairly new.

And, as an added bonus, Interstate FLORIDA 95. It's interesting that they could "FLORIDA" in the Interstate shield, and get it looking right, but use such a lousy font for the "EXIT TO CITY" text.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.