News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Pacific Southwest / Re: Interstate 11 alignment, t...
Last post by roadfro - Today at 12:48:47 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on Today at 11:53:11 AM
Quote from: pderocco on May 03, 2024, 12:36:08 AM
Quote from: cl94 on May 02, 2024, 05:19:13 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 02, 2024, 05:17:48 PMany reason why 11 doesn't end at exit 99 on us 95?

At-grade just north of Kyle Canyon Road. Ends at the last interchange before the at-grade.
I don't see any at-grade intersection in Google Earth. But past Kyle Canyon Rd it's certainly not up to Interstate standards. The inner shoulders are unpaved.

But it makes sense to end the I-11 designation at an interchange with a state highway, rather than a golf course driveway.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/d6jkdkqMsYmrXQhA8?g_st=ic

Found it in GSV. Coordinates 36.3359889, -115.3209178 just north of Kyle Canyon Rd interchange

Even is signed with a "one way" sign after the crossover on 95NB

Thru Moccasin Rd traffic can use this crossover, even tho it is gravel for the "gap" between paved Moccasin Rd on either side of 95, tho a "Do Not Enter" sign is posted on the east side of the 95NB lanes at the crossover. No such signage on the west side of the 95SB lanes. And the typical "Yield" and "One Way" signage at the median crossover
Despite all the times I've passed this spot, I've never taken notice of this aspect. 

Moccasin forms the northern boundary of the City of Las Vegas and the southern boundary of the Las Vegas Paiute Reservation, so the crossover is likely there to allow authorized vehicles (e.g. tribal police) to turn around at the jurisdictional boundary. However, it is not marked as a typical authorized vehicle only crossover (e.g. no U-turn signs, black and blue markers, etc.) and has the standard signage meant for a local access point. It's also worth noting there doesn't appear to be a similar turnaround at the northern boundary of the reservation. But that gravel really just makes it seem like this is an official access to Moccasin.

It does look like there was, at one time, more official access to the west from the southbound lanes, because you can clearly see a paved apron area that is no longer maintained (Street View). I'm guessing this may have been meant as access to western Moccasin (or the power line corridor that runs along it) a long time ago, but frontage road construction may have made that need for access moot. NDOT seems to at least tolerate the existing unofficial access off the frontage roads at Moccasin, because they didn't maintain right-of-way fencing into the reservation land on either side of US 95. But they've done nothing to facilitate that access either, cause otherwise there would likely be signage and more formal access and/or turning lanes.
MDOT has reduced the number of lanes on the project.

www.Michigan.gov/I375
Off-Topic / Re: Minor things that bother y...
Last post by jeffandnicole - Today at 12:27:34 PM
Quote from: Rothman on Today at 09:42:49 AMAirbnb cleaning fees.

I'm ok with this one, within reason.  Some people are slobs and leave houses in atrocious condition. Other fees are just add-ons for no reason other than pure profit.
Pacific Southwest / Re: Westside Parkway & Centenn...
Last post by roadfro - Today at 12:21:26 PM
Quote from: FredAkbar on May 03, 2024, 07:06:29 PM
Quote from: roadfro on May 02, 2024, 12:09:08 PMI was able to stay on EB 99 just fine...

Now that would require some signage :p
Whoops... Edited original post.
General Highway Talk / Re: "Highways" that are actual...
Last post by GaryA - Today at 12:18:36 PM
Quote from: bing101 on Today at 10:47:02 AM
Quote from: DTComposer on April 29, 2013, 08:04:37 PMWhitnall Highway in the San Fernando Valley:

http://goo.gl/maps/icp1d

Was originally going to be much more:

http://cahighways.org/257-264.html#258
That's interesting given that parts of the route went in a diagonal direction. The northwest end of the proposed Whitnall freeway in the proposed route is where CA-118 is today. However CA-118 goes east-west toward the northern edge of the San Fernando Valley.

Reading about the Whitnall Highway (different from the later proposed Whitnall Freeway) always leaves me a little confused, since the text descriptions say it was supposed to end in Newhall, but the maps have it running more northwest and ending in what is now Chatsworth.
Sports / Re: General NBA thread
Last post by mgk920 - Today at 11:55:03 AM
Lakers fired their head coach, too.

Mike
Pacific Southwest / Re: Interstate 11 alignment, t...
Last post by ilpt4u - Today at 11:53:11 AM
Quote from: pderocco on May 03, 2024, 12:36:08 AM
Quote from: cl94 on May 02, 2024, 05:19:13 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 02, 2024, 05:17:48 PMany reason why 11 doesn't end at exit 99 on us 95?

At-grade just north of Kyle Canyon Road. Ends at the last interchange before the at-grade.
I don't see any at-grade intersection in Google Earth. But past Kyle Canyon Rd it's certainly not up to Interstate standards. The inner shoulders are unpaved.

But it makes sense to end the I-11 designation at an interchange with a state highway, rather than a golf course driveway.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/d6jkdkqMsYmrXQhA8?g_st=ic

Found it in GSV. Coordinates 36.3359889, -115.3209178 just north of Kyle Canyon Rd interchange

Even is signed with a "one way" sign after the crossover on 95NB

Thru Moccasin Rd traffic can use this crossover, even tho it is gravel for the "gap" between paved Moccasin Rd on either side of 95, tho a "Do Not Enter" sign is posted on the east side of the 95NB lanes at the crossover. No such signage on the west side of the 95SB lanes. And the typical "Yield" and "One Way" signage at the median crossover
Off-Topic / Re: New Oklahoma City Skyscrap...
Last post by bing101 - Today at 11:41:27 AM
Hmm that proposed tower in Oklahoma City could have been in places like Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth and Austin and would have fit right in  the skylines of those cities given how much those places are currently fighting to attract companies to have Downtown offices in those places.
Weather / Re: What's your weather curren...
Last post by gonealookin - Today at 11:30:40 AM
It's just windy right now, but the Winter Storm Warning takes effect in a couple hours.  This could set the opening of Caltrans' Sierra passes back a little bit.

Quote from: National Weather Service, Reno NV...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM THIS MORNING TO 8 AM PDT SUNDAY ABOVE 5000 FEET...

* WHAT...Heavy snow above 5000 feet. Snow accumulations up to 5 to 8 inches around the Lake Tahoe Basin, 8 to 12 inches over higher Sierra passes, and 12 to 24 inches of snow across the Sierra Crest above 7000 feet. Winds gusting as high as 55 mph. Wind prone areas along Hwy-395 in Mono County may see gusts 60+ mph. Higher Sierra ridgetops may see gusts 100+ mph.

* WHERE...Greater Lake Tahoe Area, and Mono County.
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 03, 2024, 11:37:45 PMCANCELED

Alas, that's what I suspected - The EMC meeting wins.  As such, I'll just "make my own meet in Indy on the weekend of the 4th.

I changed the thread title to reflect

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.