News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Plans for AR 220/ Devils Den Road

Started by US71, January 22, 2014, 01:39:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Does AHTD have any plans regarding the section of AR 220 that runs through Devils Den State Park? In the rainy weather, it's a mud pit. In the Summer, it's a dusty cow path.

While I would love to see the road improved, I'd also hate to see the scenic aspect of the area ruined. Has there ever been a determination how/if the road can be improved?

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

AHTD

Thank you for asking!

Not sure when, but we will be applying for federal aid (not sure which fund) to make improvements to this road. Depending upon the program, we might be able to get this stretch paved. At this time there has not been a determination as to how this road will be improved (to pave or not to pave).

Will let you know when it comes back up again here.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: AHTD on January 22, 2014, 10:59:17 AM
Thank you for asking!

Not sure when, but we will be applying for federal aid (not sure which fund) to make improvements to this road. Depending upon the program, we might be able to get this stretch paved. At this time there has not been a determination as to how this road will be improved (to pave or not to pave).

Why is this road even numbered? Shouldn't it be a forest road? I think it qualifies for the worst maintained state road in Arkansas. The bridges are horrible... And gray at the same time. It's a piece of history, leave it alone, and decommission it.

iPhone

Arkansastravelguy

*great. (The site wouldn't let me edit it and save?)

iPhone

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 24, 2014, 11:50:41 PM

Thank you for asking!

Why is this road even numbered? Shouldn't it be a forest road? I think it qualifies for the worst maintained state road in Arkansas. The bridges are horrible... And gray at the same time. It's a piece of history, leave it alone, and decommission it.

iPhone
It was originally a County Road (WC 61 and ???)
I agree it needs to be maintained in its current condition (if you can get the rocks out of the potholes ;) )

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: US71 on May 25, 2014, 06:58:07 PM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 24, 2014, 11:50:41 PM

Thank you for asking!

iPhone
It was originally a County Road (WC 61 and ???)
I agree it needs to be maintained in its current condition (if you can get the rocks out of the potholes ;) )

How old is this bridge on 220?

iPhone

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 27, 2014, 12:40:32 AM

How old is this bridge on 220?

iPhone

Is that on the Washington County Side? If yes, that is Ellis Creek.
NBI lists it as built 1982 (before AHTD took over maintenance)

Span length: 42.0 ft.
Total length: 44.9 ft.
Deck width:  13.8 ft.

Functionally obsolete as of January 1992 (earliest NBI listing I can find)
Average volume 30 vehicles/day (116 in 2000)

Judging by the data, AHTD assumed maintenance sometime between 1997 and 1999.

bugo

There used to be a truss at Lee Creek where AR 220 formerly petered out.

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: bugo on May 31, 2014, 11:30:38 PM

I'd love to see a pic of that. As much as I am against random endings of numbered routes at random places it's ridiculous that road is signed between Lee Creek and 170

iPhone

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 31, 2014, 11:56:53 PM

I'd love to see a pic of that. As much as I am against random endings of numbered routes at random places it's ridiculous that road is signed between Lee Creek and 170

http://bridgehunter.com/ar/crawford/lee-creek-220/

bugo

Quote from: US71 on June 01, 2014, 08:58:21 AM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on May 31, 2014, 11:56:53 PM

http://bridgehunter.com/ar/crawford/lee-creek-220/

I made a special trip from Mena just to see that bridge when it was still there.  220 ended just across the bridge.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.