News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-540 Signage in Rogers

Started by M86, February 10, 2014, 02:47:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M86

I've mentioned this before on the forum, but the signage at Exit 82 & 83 on I-540 in NWA isn't right.  Hopefully AHTD will see this.

Exit 82, on I-540, is signed for Promenade Blvd.  Promenade goes to the east.  Pauline Whitaker Parkway is to the west... This is according to the Rogers' city maps, Google maps, and the City of Rogers signage on the signal.  http://goo.gl/maps/XoYuc  That shows the city signage and the state signage... The city signage is correct, and the signs along I-540 need to reflect Whitaker Parkway.

Exit 83 is signed as Pinnacle Hills Parkway on I-540.  The signage on I-540 needs to have New Hope Road and 52nd Street.

New Hope Road is to the east of I-540 at Exit 83, and the west side of the interchange has Pinnacle Hills Parkway to the south, and 52nd Street to the north (the J-Hook interchange side).

US71

Quote from: M86 on February 10, 2014, 02:47:11 AM
I've mentioned this before on the forum, but the signage at Exit 82 & 83 on I-540 in NWA isn't right.  Hopefully AHTD will see this.

Exit 82, on I-540, is signed for Promenade Blvd.  Promenade goes to the east.  Pauline Whitaker Parkway is to the west... This is according to the Rogers' city maps, Google maps, and the City of Rogers signage on the signal.  http://goo.gl/maps/XoYuc  That shows the city signage and the state signage... The city signage is correct, and the signs along I-540 need to reflect Whitaker Parkway.

Exit 83 is signed at Pinnacle Hills Parkway on I-540.  The signage on I-540 needs to have New Hope Road and 52nd Street.

New Hope Road is to the east of I-540 at Exit 83, and the west side of the interchange has Pinnacle Hills Parkway to the south, and 52nd Street to the north (the J-Hook interchange side).

Was Pauline Whitaker added when Promenade Blvd was created? I remember Perry Rd being partially eliminated to build Promenade.

The New Hope/Pinnacle Hills/52nd  has alway been a clusterf*ck  IMO. that whole area was not planned very well.

As far as the exits, maybe ATHD has decided which road has "priority"  on the exit signs.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

M86

Quote from: US71 on February 10, 2014, 09:43:10 AM
Was Pauline Whitaker added when Promenade Blvd was created? I remember Perry Rd being partially eliminated to build Promenade.

The New Hope/Pinnacle Hills/52nd  has alway been a clusterf*ck  IMO. that whole area was not planned very well.

As far as the exits, maybe ATHD has decided which road has "priority"  on the exit signs.

But AHTD has 14th Street and Hudson Road signed at Exit 86.  Hudson Road doesn't touch I-540, but I'm glad they signed it, as 14th transitions to Hudson at the city limits.

Pauline Whitaker was added around the time of the Promenade exit, I believe.

But the Pinnacle Hills Parkway exit has always amazed me... 3 of the 4 ramps connect to New Hope Road.

Even though New Hope Road is church-y, it should be signed on I-540.

KEK Inc.

What type of signal phasing is for the right turn from the off-ramp?  If you travel down the ramp on street view, it has a red ball and green right arrow, but you can only turn right.
Take the road less traveled.

US71

Quote from: M86 on February 11, 2014, 03:09:03 AM
Quote from: US71 on February 10, 2014, 09:43:10 AM

But AHTD has 14th Street and Hudson Road signed at Exit 86.  Hudson Road doesn't touch I-540, but I'm glad they signed it, as 14th transitions to Hudson at the city limits.

Pauline Whitaker was added around the time of the Promenade exit, I believe.

But the Pinnacle Hills Parkway exit has always amazed me... 3 of the 4 ramps connect to New Hope Road.

Even though New Hope Road is church-y, it should be signed on I-540.

It was at one time when it was AR 94. Then it got changed to 94/Pinnacle Hills, but now it's just Pinnacle Hills since 94 was dropped.

(Now talk about wasting money {IMO} : AHTD adopts a street, spends the money to improve it, then gives it back to the city)

M86

Quote from: KEK Inc. on February 11, 2014, 05:16:04 AM
What type of signal phasing is for the right turn from the off-ramp?  If you travel down the ramp on street view, it has a red ball and green right arrow, but you can only turn right.

That is another oddity of this interchange.  It makes no sense at all.

The signage that is typical of an urban interchange at the crossroad isn't correct at this interchange either.  Lots of issues with signage.

This is an interchange, I believe, that was a partnership with the City of Rogers and AHTD.  Clearly, there are many issues.

AHTD, can you fix these issues?

codyg1985

It looks to be a five-lens signal for when you can't "go straight" or turn left but you can turn right without stopping, which you would only typically see at an intersection where the approach from the right has a left turn signal. In this case, you don't have left turns at the approach from the right, so I don't see the reason for this type of signal here. A simple three-lens signal setup would seem to suffice here, IMO. On the other hand, maybe the green arrow is displayed when the approach from the left has a green arrow to turn left but the straight movement still has a red. However, if that is the case, then wouldn't the phasing be set up to where left turns could go at the same time as straight movements? Either way, I think a three-lens signal head would work better here, and reduce confusion.

Although this isn't the same ramp geometry, here is how such a situation is handled at AL 255 and Old Madison Pike in Huntsville, AL. In this case you do have left turns from the approach on the right, so the right turn signals can display green independent of the left turn signals on the off-ramp approach.

Here is another example in Pelham, AL at I-65 and AL 119 with the same ramp geometry as what we have here, handled with two three-lens signal heads.

And here is another example with a SPUI at I-65 and McEwen Drive in Franklin, TN, so the approach from the right does have a left turn that when activated can allow the right set of signals to display green for right-turning traffic.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

US71

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 15, 2014, 05:08:47 PM

It looks to be a five-lens signal for when you can't "go straight" or turn left but you can turn right without stopping, which you would only typically see at an intersection where the approach from the right has a left turn signal. In this case, you don't have left turns at the approach from the right, so I don't see the reason for this type of signal here. A simple three-lens signal setup would seem to suffice here, IMO. On the other hand, maybe the green arrow is displayed when the approach from the left has a green arrow to turn left but the straight movement still has a red. However, if that is the case, then wouldn't the phasing be set up to where left turns could go at the same time as straight movements? Either way, I think a three-lens signal head would work better here, and reduce confusion.

If you can only turn right, there's no need for an arrow AND a green ball, IMO.  Sort of sounds like someone wasn't thinking when they designed that intersection.

M86

http://goo.gl/maps/oHbw3

That's the interchange at Pleasant Grove Road... Just a mile south of the Promenade exit.  It's the same diamond interchange with dual left turns and dual right turns.

This has always worried me:
http://goo.gl/maps/rMwBz

That right green arrow is always lit if the through traffic has a green light.  There is no right turn lane.

This probably brings a pedestrian/car debate, but a solid green arrow shouldn't be here.

codyg1985

A lot of times I will only see the right green arrow in such a doghouse setup activated when traffic from the right has a left turn indication. Otherwise, it is just a green ball. Maybe that is done for pedestrians as you mention since when the green arrow is displayed in the case I mention here, pedestrians couldn't cross since traffic on the right would be passing through the intersection.
Cody Goodman

US71

Quote from: M86 on February 17, 2014, 01:11:09 AM

That's the interchange at Pleasant Grove Road... Just a mile south of the Promenade exit.  It's the same diamond interchange with dual left turns and dual right turns.

And a YIELD sign.  WTF?

codyg1985

You also appear to have two five-lens towers for a single turn lane to go south on I-540. A single one would work better. Even better, a FYA.
Cody Goodman

M86

Quote from: US71 on February 17, 2014, 08:31:47 AM
Quote from: M86 on February 17, 2014, 01:11:09 AM

And a YIELD sign.  WTF?

Lol... Nice catch!

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 17, 2014, 08:36:35 AM
You also appear to have two five-lens towers for a single turn lane to go south on I-540. A single one would work better. Even better, a FYA.

I think those were installed because once I-540 is widened to what the 2006 study recommended, there will be a dual-left turn from Pleasant Grove to I-540.

That exit doesn't really get backed up.  I do have issue with the northbound exit ramp.  It's signed as a 40 MPH ramp... If you're turning right, with the dual right turn lanes, 40 MPH will make your car skid.  The ramp is way too short, and I'm surprised that it was allowed.  Not to mention, no lane signage at all on the ramp, outside of pavement markings.

http://goo.gl/maps/Wp9Yf  A cost effective way of signing multiple turn lanes at an exit ramp.  Sigh... It's not rocket science.

KEK Inc.

I don't think I've seen any signal phasing like that out west. 

http://goo.gl/maps/4meoP

Take the road less traveled.

M86

Quote from: KEK Inc. on February 18, 2014, 07:26:07 PM
I don't think I've seen any signal phasing like that out west. 

http://goo.gl/maps/4meoP

That Streetview you posted is how it should be. 

That Streetview that I posted earlier is what should be on some of the ramps on I-540, bare minimum.

AHTD, can your office forward concerns on this forum to the appropriate people?

Arkansastravelguy

I'm not sure Pauline Whitaker is even used anymore. Promonade is appropriate to me for that is what the exit is used for . And Pinnacle golf course. I do agree New Hope should be signed.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.