News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most absurd VMS messages

Started by Pete from Boston, July 10, 2015, 12:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Didn't get a picture, but on Friday a VMS on the Beltway got into the March Madness theme: "Make Safety a slam dunk. Wear your seat belt."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jbnv on April 01, 2019, 11:37:15 AM
LaDOTD gem of the day:

They must have hired someone from Massachusetts.

I'm not seeing it.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Big John

Wisconsin's message of the day:

NO FOOLING
TEXTING AND DRIVING
            KILLS

kphoger

LaDOTD gem of the day:

They must have hired someone from Massachusetts.

It appears you cannot direct-link pictures from slack.com.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Big John on April 01, 2019, 01:04:44 PM
Wisconsin's message of the day:

NO FOOLING
TEXTING AND DRIVING
            KILLS

MN's is directed at motorcyclists today:

DON'T BE A FOOL
WEAR A HELMET
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jbnv

Quote from: kphoger on April 01, 2019, 03:01:55 PM
LaDOTD gem of the day: <snip> They must have hired someone from Massachusetts.

Well, you can, but if you aren't on the team you won't see it. (Appeared just fine for me.)

Blinkers by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

kphoger

Something tells me waving came before blinkers...chronologically speaking.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mr. Matté

On my way through Monmouth County, NJ today on Kozloski Road, CR 55, just north of the 33 Bus. interchange was a VMS flashing "MONMOUTH COUNTY ROUTE 55" and that's it. I'd think it would be cheaper to just install a new reassurance shield.

dfilpus

On April 2 in Charlotte NC,

MAINTAIN LANE
SNOW HEAVIER ON SHOULDER

It did really snow in Charlotte on April 2; but it hardly piled up on the shoulders.

MASTERNC

Delaware has been using a lot of pop music:

I SAW THE SIGN
AND IT OPENED UP MY EYES

OBEY POSTED SPEED LIMITS
ARRIVE ALIVE

Another one

COME ON EILEEN
YOUR SPEED IS OBSCENE

CNGL-Leudimin

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

MCRoads

Quote from: Mr. Matté on April 06, 2019, 11:53:16 AM
On my way through Monmouth County, NJ today on Kozloski Road, CR 55, just north of the 33 Bus. interchange was a VMS flashing "MONMOUTH COUNTY ROUTE 55" and that's it. I'd think it would be cheaper to just install a new reassurance shield.
That made me fall out of my chair and hit my chin on my table... Why is that SO FUNNY?
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: MCRoads on April 10, 2019, 07:13:53 PM
That made me fall out of my chair and hit my chin on my table... Why is that SO FUNNY?
Reminds me of this classic...

Verlanka

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on April 10, 2019, 09:59:00 PM
Quote from: MCRoads on April 10, 2019, 07:13:53 PM
Reminds me of this classic...

KFC... BUCKET!! :rofl: :-D

Wow.

roadman

Quote from: jbnv on April 01, 2019, 03:48:19 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 01, 2019, 03:01:55 PM
LaDOTD gem of the day: <snip> They must have hired someone from Massachusetts.

Well, you can, but if you aren't on the team you won't see it. (Appeared just fine for me.)

Blinkers by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr

Illustrating one of my pet peeves.  Installing overhead sign structure uprights immediately in front of existing ground-mounted signs, thus obscuring the view of the signs from a distance.  And if it isn't practical to install the support behind the ground-mounted sign, at least relocate the sign to in front of the new support.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jbnv

Quote from: roadman on April 11, 2019, 10:56:32 AM
Illustrating one of my pet peeves.  Installing overhead sign structure uprights immediately in front of existing ground-mounted signs, thus obscuring the view of the signs from a distance.  And if it isn't practical to install the support behind the ground-mounted sign, at least relocate the sign to in front of the new support.

Cool, that's two separate pet peeves for two separate people in one photo. (Mine is DOTD's use of VMSs to lecture us about road rules instead of reporting on travel times or upcoming road conditions.)
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

roadman

Quote from: jbnv on April 11, 2019, 01:39:06 PM
Quote from: roadman on April 11, 2019, 10:56:32 AM

Cool, that's two separate pet peeves for two separate people in one photo. (Mine is DOTD's use of VMSs to lecture us about road rules instead of reporting on travel times or upcoming road conditions.)

Trust me, I have that same peeve about VMSes in all states.  As for posting travel times, I like MassDOT's approach.  Use separate static signs with the LED displays for times instead of posting travel info on the VMS boards.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Michael

Here's yet another picture from Reddit:

The Reddit post mentions it's from Ohio.

kphoger

Steering my car away from Al caused me to run over Juanito.  I was just obeying the sign.
Male pronouns, please.

ilpt4u

IDOT has Tax Day themed silliness today...

"Think Taxes Are
   Expensive? A
DUI Costs $18,000"

On the VMSes along I-57 from Marion to Chicago...I'm assuming its on most/all IDOT ones. That message is not on the ISTHA VMSes I passed

jbnv

We got a platitude using the word "eggstra."

MCRoads

Sometimes I just wish they would just put "MERRY XMAS / FROM VDOT" , "DON'T FORGET! / IT'S TAX DAY!" , OR JUST "GO NUGGETS! / AWY XX - NUG XX"
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

zzyzx

This was TXDOT's on Mother's Day:

Michael

1995hoo

Seen on Twitter. Don't know where it is.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.