News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Crash prone 'modern roundabouts'

Started by tradephoric, May 18, 2015, 02:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

So does traffic only come from one direction there?  Because that's all I saw in the video.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on April 26, 2021, 06:50:04 PM
So does traffic only come from one direction there?  Because that's all I saw in the video.
That is the traffic from I-64, about 3 miles away.
Reported AADT on 4 arms are are 4800, 4300, 2100 and 3200, with relatively weak rush hour. This may be before the  Dollar store  was built on one corner within past few years , and there is some construction going on in another corner, though.

CardInLex

The original video poster on Facebook (Walker Construction) has posted an update saying that the video was partially staged and that all traffic was being directed by flaggers.

https://fb.watch/575atAPP3x/

jamess

Quote from: CardInLex on April 26, 2021, 08:27:38 PM
The original video poster on Facebook (Walker Construction) has posted an update saying that the video was partially staged and that all traffic was being directed by flaggers.

https://fb.watch/575atAPP3x/

Not exactly. They said there were flaggers upstream, which explains why all the traffic came from one direction. However, when they reached the roundabout, the drivers appear to have picked the wrong side on their own.

kphoger

The original video now appears to be gone from the thread, but...

Was traffic driving on the left side of the road?  I can't remember.  What would you do if you were driving in one-lane traffic on the left half of a roadway and then came to a roundabout?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on April 27, 2021, 11:48:55 AM
The original video now appears to be gone from the thread, but...

Was traffic driving on the left side of the road?  I can't remember.  What would you do if you were driving in one-lane traffic on the left half of a roadway and then came to a roundabout?
Some of those who were to make a left turn (and should make 3/4 of a circle on the roundabout) were entering on the wrong side of the divider and making a 1/4 turn wrong way.
I know one local roundabout where people were doing that on a regular basis - until police cracked down on such pattern.

And honestly speaking I am doing that myself all the time. It should be noted, though, that I am doing that on a cul-de-sac with 3 driveways, AADT of maybe 15-20 vehicles, and average speeds of <10 MPH - so I still have to hear a complain.

There are also some roundabouts here where one-way "street" (highway ramp) enters roundabout. A full roundabout, not a dumbell (which would be an appropriate option). No wrong way issues there.

tradephoric

They were talking about that Northeast Kentucky roundabout video on the morning radio show coming into work.

kphoger

What I mean is this:  was traffic driving on the left side upstream of the roundabout?
Male pronouns, please.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on April 27, 2021, 01:17:54 PM
What I mean is this:  was traffic driving on the left side upstream of the roundabout?
Upstream is a 2-lane undivided road, with a divider starting 50' (give or take) from the circle.
Some cars went to the left of that divider, going into the wrong way lane. WOuld be justified if they considered divider as the beginning of some sort of a slip lane, for example.

jakeroot

kphoger

Thanks, that answered my question.  They were not driving on the left already.
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on April 27, 2021, 02:15:45 PM
Thanks, that answered my question.  They were not driving on the left already.

I suppose for someone in your position, having not seen the video until then, what you saw in the video was the more worrying of the possibilities.

Watching the video from Facebook, I think the contractor probably should stop sharing videos. Even in that video, you see traffic yielding to entering traffic.

I challenge someone here to get 60 seconds of roundabout footage from a drone that doesn't capture someone breaking a rule.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on April 27, 2021, 03:05:19 PM
I challenge someone here to get 60 seconds of roundabout footage of any intersection from a drone that doesn't capture someone breaking a rule.

or that
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

I live on the corner of a T intersection in a residential neighborhood, so I could probably do that easy...if I had a drone.....
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 27, 2021, 11:14:41 PM
I live on the corner of a T intersection in a residential neighborhood, so I could probably do that easy...if I had a drone.....

Then I assume it must be an uncontrolled intersection, or else I'm sure you'd find people not coming to a complete stop.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on April 28, 2021, 09:27:15 AM

Then I assume it must be an uncontrolled intersection, or else I'm sure you'd find people not coming to a complete stop.

In 60 seconds? Would be pretty easy to get 60 seconds with no traffic at all.

webny99

Meanwhile, I live near a three-way stop where, if I had 60 minutes of footage, you might not see any cars on the through road come to a complete stop.

Probably because (1) the through road doesn't need a stop sign; it's not even close to warranted based on volumes, but there are other local factors that took precedence, and (2) there didn't used to be a stop sign there, so some drivers forget it exists.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on April 28, 2021, 10:27:10 AM

Quote from: kphoger on April 28, 2021, 09:27:15 AM

In 60 seconds? Would be pretty easy to get 60 seconds with no traffic at all.

Well, crap, I kept thinking of this as 60 minutes.  Even though, in its original context, 60 minutes would be too long of a period to be meaningful.
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on April 27, 2021, 03:20:49 PM
I challenge someone here to get 60 seconds of roundabout footage of any intersection from a drone that doesn't capture someone breaking a rule.

or that

Yeah, failure to stop at a stop line? In a given 60 second window, that is easily the most broken rule, and it's not a fundamental failure of the intersection. Cali stops are so unbelievably common that it may as well be legal at this point. No other rules are broken anywhere near as often. Second place is probably failure to maintain a lane, and I don't think that happens every 60 seconds.

Roundabouts seem to have far more fundamental failures on a regular basis. Biggest two easily being failure to yield or excessive yielding, and failure to maintain a lane...I'm willing to bet that at least one of these things would occur in a given 60 second window (although more likely at multi-lane roundabouts), and both, IMO, are fundamental failures.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on April 28, 2021, 01:16:44 PM
Yeah, failure to stop at a stop line? In a given 60 second window, that is easily the most broken rule, and it's not a fundamental failure of the intersection. Cali stops are so unbelievably common that it may as well be legal at this point. No other rules are broken anywhere near as often. Second place is probably failure to maintain a lane, and I don't think that happens every 60 seconds.

Roundabouts seem to have far more fundamental failures on a regular basis. Biggest two easily being failure to yield or excessive yielding, and failure to maintain a lane...I'm willing to bet that at least one of these things would occur in a given 60 second window (although more likely at multi-lane roundabouts), and both, IMO, are fundamental failures.

Failure to maintain a lane is a big one, in my experience.
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on April 28, 2021, 01:18:41 PM

But it's a far more prevalent issue at multi-lane roundabouts, in addition to failure to yield/excessive yielding.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on April 28, 2021, 01:26:44 PM

Quote from: kphoger on April 28, 2021, 01:18:41 PM

But it's a far more prevalent issue at multi-lane roundabouts, ...

Absolutely.  Even properly keeping your lane in a multi-lane roundabout still provides the opportunity for multiple conflict points.  I remember the reduction in conflict points being a big selling point for roundabouts several years ago, but that advantage (IMHO) goes away when you add additional lanes.
Male pronouns, please.

interstatefan990

Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

stevashe

Even in that video, you see traffic yielding to entering traffic.

Am I missing something? I don't see anyone yielding to entering traffic in the new video...

jakeroot

Quote from: stevashe on April 29, 2021, 03:44:03 PM
Even in that video, you see traffic yielding to entering traffic.

Am I missing something? I don't see anyone yielding to entering traffic in the new video...

In the beginning, the red truck approaching from the right stops despite no one to his left. Only once cars stop coming from their right (the top approach) do they continue into the circle.

The red truck should have entered into the circle, and the silver sedan from the top should have yielded to them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.