News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

France: My Adventures in Their Clutches

Started by cpzilliacus, September 08, 2013, 01:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

N.Y. Times: My Adventures in Their Clutches

QuoteEuropeans mostly drive cars with manual transmission, and their rental cars reflect that preference, whether you're in England, Italy, Greece or any of the curling-roaded lands that for centuries were traversed by carriage, cart, horse and goat, and whose byways have not been noticeably widened since. Online, I found that I could rent an automatic car for $1,000, a stick shift for $300. By spending $100 in New York for a 90-minute training session, I could save $700 in France. Pourquoi pas? I asked myself. How hard can it be?

QuoteThe day before my flight found me scuttling herky-jerkily around the loop of the Stuyvesant Town housing complex in Manhattan in an ancient hulk of a training car whose clutch was so stiff that depressing it felt like working a gym leg press. Nonetheless, after 10 minutes of fits and starts, I hardly stalled at all. I even parallel parked, and did three-point turns. Cheered, I set off for Europe, eager to put the pedal to the métal.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Brandon

^^ Reads like the author has a complete lack of driving and parking skills.  He needs to spend more time in the suburbs and rural areas and get the hell out of NYC for a few days.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vdeane

Actually, I'd say that suburbs contribute to a lack of parking skills, with the large parking spaces and ability to effectively avoid using street-side parking for one's entire life.  Street-side parking is largely optional unless you're in a city or village downtown.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

oscar

Quote from: Brandon on September 08, 2013, 04:59:44 PM
^^ Reads like the author has a complete lack of driving and parking skills.  He needs to spend more time in the suburbs and rural areas and get the hell out of NYC for a few days.

Actually, driving in NYC (or better still Boston) seems to be much better training for Europe than, say, driving in Nebraska. While the author's driving skills were still not up to all the gotchas Europe throws at you, many rural/suburban drivers would've done even worse.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

corco

Quote from: vdeane on September 08, 2013, 06:12:14 PM
Actually, I'd say that suburbs contribute to a lack of parking skills, with the large parking spaces and ability to effectively avoid using street-side parking for one's entire life.  Street-side parking is largely optional unless you're in a city or village downtown.

For sure- other than a couple years in Tacoma, in the entirety of my driving life, much of it either in the rural west or Tucson (which has few places where streetside parking is necessary), I haven't been in a situation where I've needed to parallel park more than once or twice a year. I was never taught how to do it in driver's ed, and didn't have to do it to get my license, so I'm self-taught. I can do it if I have to, but I'm first to admit I'm not the greatest at it. Since I did have to do it frequently for a little while in Tacoma, I can pick it back up to the point of being decent at it pretty quickly if I need to, but if I were to go to Europe I'd probably practice beforehand.

firefly

Quote from: nytimes.comOnline, I found that I could rent an automatic car for $1,000, a stick shift for $300.
Americans in Europe have at least a choice.

agentsteel53

I have to admit, that my current car ('97 Taurus) makes it extra tough to parallel park.  usually I'm pretty good with it, but this one is so ovoid that I have to guess at where the edges are, and I have about a 4 inch margin of error for front and rear.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: firefly on September 11, 2013, 12:13:06 PM
Quote from: nytimes.comOnline, I found that I could rent an automatic car for $1,000, a stick shift for $300.
Americans in Europe have at least a choice.

and they then pull there scam where any damage to Clutch even basic ware and tare.

http://elliott.org/the-troubleshooter/help-my-car-rental-company-is-charging-me-for-a-burnt-clutch/
". But what you might not know is that burned clutches are common problems with American renters in Europe. We don't have as much experience driving standard-transmission, and are presumed guilty for every ruined clutch."

agentsteel53

actually, this is probably the most alarming sentence in the entire post.

Quotecredit card disputes that go in your favor are automatically sent to a collection agency.

now, collection agencies themselves are dirtbag companies, but a necessary service in the case of dirtbag debtors. 

however, anyone that hires a collection agency on something even a tiny bit more equivocal than "debtor has given us middle finger" is a company to avoid doing business with.  I once had a collection agency sicced on me because T-Mobile didn't close out an account correctly: they stopped sending me bills, deactivated my online access and my phone number ... and kept running a monthly service charge, due to some billing glitch.  the first I heard about it was when the knee-breakers came calling, at which point T-Mobile declared that the problem had been sold to a collection agency, and therefore was no longer their problem.  I had to pay a lawyer $190 to get them to cancel the ~$600 debt and issue me an apology.

they never did issue me the apology.  (in other news, fuck T-Mobile.)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on September 11, 2013, 02:50:10 PMBut what you might not know is that burned clutches are common problems with American renters in Europe. We don't have as much experience driving standard-transmission, and are presumed guilty for every ruined clutch."

Unless they are intentionally trashing the car, it's far more likely that the so-called inexperienced American drivers are grinding the gears, or stalling it repeatedly; neither of which will damage the clutch or transmission, unless it's done around 50,000 times. There can't be that many clutch-riders out there, so it sounds like a scam. Or because Europe makes its fair share of crapboxes.

However, with less than 5% of all new cars offering a stick, the inexperience is not shocking. (Parallel parking isn't much different between a manual and an automatic vehicle, although there's a slightly different procedure between rear and front-wheel drive cars.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.