News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Taiwan to go all-electronic free flow tolling early 2014 - give-away tags

Started by cpzilliacus, November 27, 2013, 09:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

TOLLROADSnews: Taiwan to go all-electronic free flow tolling early 2014 - give-away tags seen as key

Quote2013-11-26: Taiwan's major highways will transition to all-electronic free flow operations early next year - about 900km, 540 miles of tollroad which include three north-south routes with 22 toll points doing about 1.7 million transactions a day (600m/yr) and generating some $700m of annual toll revenue.

QuoteElectronic tolls are collected in Taiwan by a private contractor Far Eastern Electronic Toll Collection Company (FETC) under contract to the National Freeway Bureau (tollroads are all called "˜freeways' there, free we guess to taxpayers if not to motorists.) FETC is a joint venture of several major Taiwan electronics and telecom companies and began lane-based electronic tolling in 2004 with the Efkon IR (infra-red) DSRC system from Austria that is also used in Malaysia and South Korea.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Lytton

Quote from: 1 on November 27, 2013, 02:08:21 PM
What about those not from Taiwan that have to use the toll roads?

Rental car companies at the airports (like Taiwan Taoyuan) would probably give out ETC toll passes that they can place in their car.

There's always buses and public transport (like the Taiwan High Speed Rail) that can shuttle them around Taiwan too.
Fuck GPS. I rather use my brain and common sense.

Taiwan Turnpike

Quote from: 1 on November 27, 2013, 02:08:21 PM
What about those not from Taiwan that have to use the toll roads?

For vehicles without a tag, ANPR cameras will capture the image of their license plate.
And they can pay their toll at several places(e.g. convenience store) within 1-2 months.

Tag users can have 10% off to their tolls,
while others can have the 10% off  only if they pay within the following 3rd-6th day. (The first 3 days are the processing period).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.