News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Texas' 'Mile Long Bridge' rapidly deteriorating, declared a disaster

Started by edwaleni, December 24, 2023, 04:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/mile-long-bridge-closed-18573228.php

North Texas' 'Mile Long Bridge' rapidly deteriorating, declared a disaster

North Texas leaders in Stephens County declared a disaster on Friday and shut down the "Mile Long Bridge" over Hubbard Creek Lake after an emergency inspection revealed significant structural concerns, reported Shelly Womack with KTAB-TV. Closed until further notice, the bridge provided the most straightforward route between the cities of Breckenridge and Albany, which sit east and west of the lake, respectively.

An emergency county meeting held Friday night revealed that a local fisherman saw a piece of the bridge falling Thursday night and reported it, Womack wrote. In a comment posted on the Stephens County official Facebook page, officials said the sheriff's office then reached out to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) to inspect the damage. "The issue was major and deteriorating rapidly; the roadway was unsafe. In the interest of public safety, the bridge was shut down," the county representative wrote online.

Per Womack, the closure isolates roughly 15 percent of Stephens County's residents from rapid emergency services, potentially extending response times to 45 minutes or longer. In preparation, emergency personnel were deployed west of the bridge to assist if needed.

Drivers who typically take the bridge from Breckenridge to Albany are encouraged to take a detour by traveling along US 183 to FMs 576 and 601 instead, per a Facebook post. According to Google Maps, this would lengthen the usual trip by about 10 miles. Commuters could also take a gravel path, turning from FM 576 to FMs 292, 290 and 294. More information is expected to come from TxDOT, Stephens County and Breckenridge officials.

The Ghostbuster

Why is the US 180 bridge over Hubbard Creek Lake called the "Mile-Long Bridge"? Is the bridge one-mile long? For those having trouble finding the bridge, it's right here: https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7634823,-99.0063618,3061m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu.

Bobby5280

The bridge itself is about 3700' long. It's closer to a mile if you count the earth berms extending into the lake on either side of the bridge.

intelati49

Two questions.

1. It feels very 60-70 design. So probably could have used a renovation?
2. Is the lake fresh water? I guess the sustained high moisture is for all "lake bridges", but if it's salt water..

Bobby5280

Quote from: Intelati49It feels very 60-70 design. So probably could have used a renovation?

The bridge definitely has a very out-of-date design. No shoulders for one thing. And then there is zero accommodation for any pedestrians or bicyclists. But it's a rural location where pretty much everyone is getting around via motor vehicles. Shoulders at the very least are a necessity.

Quote from: Intelati49Is the lake fresh water? I guess the sustained high moisture is for all "lake bridges", but if it's salt water..

Hubbard Creek Lake is a man-made lake (as a result of building a dam) to create a drinking water source.

edwaleni

Quote from: intelati49 on December 24, 2023, 06:40:42 PM

I guess the sustained high moisture is for all "lake bridges", but if it's salt water..

Not if TxDOT is using road salt in the winter.

Road Hog

Quote from: edwaleni on December 24, 2023, 10:38:25 PM

I guess the sustained high moisture is for all "lake bridges", but if it's salt water..

That is a given. If it even threatens a flake of snow in the 5-day forecast, TxDOT will be out pre-brining roads, especially long bridges like that one.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Road Hog on December 24, 2023, 10:48:15 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on December 24, 2023, 10:38:25 PM

That is a given. If it even threatens a flake of snow in the 5-day forecast, TxDOT will be out pre-brining roads, especially long bridges like that one.

But occasional road brine shouldn't be a major factor into what's happening with this bridge, unless the area in question managed to receive an unusual amount of brine or salt that sat there for years undetected to undermine the bridge.  Bridges all over the northern states would have constant failures with the amount of brine and salt used. 

Bridge inspections should be occurring every 2 years at minimum to detect any issues, so it may be likely someone missed the problem in the making here.

Road Hog

Photos look to me like concrete failure. Probably not anything to do with road salt, but water can get into cracks and the freeze-thaw cycle over time (50+ years) will do its work.

Bobby5280

Yeah, the freeze-thaw cycle will further worsen cracks in concrete. Water intrusion will speed up the rust cycle on the rebar and other metal inside the structure.

Road Hog

The entire bridge will need a thorough inspection from end to end and it may be deemed irrepairable. If that's the case, TxDOT should waste no time demolishing it and putting up a new, modern bridge. That's going to take a couple of years and I'm sure the traffic count won't justify an expedited schedule. They'll just have to delay letting one of their fancy metro projects to pay for it.

LilianaUwU

Reminds me of how a lot of early Autoroute infrastructure in Québec deteriorated after 50 years of heavy snow, road salt and general traffic.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

bwana39

there is a possible patch. there was an entire column on US-75 outside if Denison that was spalled far worse than this, it just depends on the current attitude.

Basically drill and bolt a beam on both sides of the beam.  Might post it a lower weight as well.

They might drop supports under the beams too (like the million dollar bridge in Alaska or the UPRR Trinity River bridge next to us-59.)
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Bobby5280

Don't roads signed as US Highways have minimum weight standards for bridges? I could certainly see weight restrictions and even bans on heavy trucks being issued for bridges on section line roads and neighborhood streets. But it's generally assumed a US Highway would be able to carry semi trucks hauling standard weight loads.

motorola870

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 28, 2023, 12:58:52 PM
Don't roads signed as US Highways have minimum weight standards for bridges? I could certainly see weight restrictions and even bans on heavy trucks being issued for bridges on section line roads and neighborhood streets. But it's generally assumed a US Highway would be able to carry semi trucks hauling standard weight loads.
US77 in Waxahachie had weight restrictions on the old viaduct before it got replaced deteriation and age got to the point they couldn't repair and refurbish it. Brine was a major cause of the substructure beginning to deteriate.

Road Hog

Quote from: motorola870 on January 04, 2024, 08:40:14 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 28, 2023, 12:58:52 PM
US77 in Waxahachie had weight restrictions on the old viaduct before it got replaced deteriation and age got to the point they couldn't repair and refurbish it. Brine was a major cause of the substructure beginning to deteriate.
I'm familiar with that "viadock" (as the locals call it). They ended up building two of them, one northbound and one southbound because of traffic. The original one was close to 100 years old.

To TxDOT's credit, they kept the original rail design for both bridges and even incorporated it in the I-35E rebuild.

wxfree

I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

abqtraveler

Quote from: wxfree on January 10, 2024, 05:25:14 PM
According to reports, the bridge has been reopened.  It's been patched up.

https://ktxs.com/news/local/hubbard-creek-bridge-reopens
Probably fixed just enough to keep the bridge in service until a replacement bridge can be designed and built.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

BJ59

JREwing78

Quote from: BJ59 on January 11, 2024, 09:55:53 PM
If they ever fully replace the bridge do y'all think it will be a 4-lane divided bridge? I have seen this case with many old bridges being replaced with a 4-lane divided over bodies of water, even if they are out in rural areas where the road is otherwise 2 lanes.

Unlikely. Traffic counts on the bridge are about 3600 vehicles per day, and they drop off rapidly west of the bridge to about 2200 vehicles per day. A 2-lane highway generally isn't considered for 4-laning until at least 6,000 vehicles per day (and often not until 10,000 vehicles per day).

With I-20 drawing away most through traffic, it's unlikely US-180 would ever reach a point of needing 4 lanes.

bwana39

Quote from: BJ59 on January 11, 2024, 09:55:53 PM
If they ever fully replace the bridge do y'all think it will be a 4-lane divided bridge? I have seen this case with many old bridges being replaced with a 4-lane divided over bodies of water, even if they are out in rural areas where the road is otherwise 2 lanes.

Examples:
Tx-334 over the Cedar Creek Reservoir
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.3283417,-96.1811827,3a,75y,229.62h,77.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-SkNmNGdOi8oprrnVzy6AQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Tx-276 over Lake Tawakoni
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.907821,-95.972664,3a,75y,102.49h,93.96t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sHhnr8jo5PkWNZOTckdaqZg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DHhnr8jo5PkWNZOTckdaqZg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D140.05888%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

SH-8 over Wright Patman was rebuilt as 2-lane. SH-155 is going to be 2-laned.  So it just depends.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Road Hog

I'm sure it'll be built to modern specs with 10-foot shoulders, etc. Hopefully it'll have sightlines that will allow for passing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.