News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Upcoming New Mexico Trip

Started by CanesFan27, March 04, 2010, 02:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

In mid-April, a long time friend and I are traveling cross-county to New Mexico.  This will be my second time to the state - I took a week vacation in Albuquerque in October 2007.  I thoroughly enjoyed my trip then, and when my friend suggested this trip, I couldn't resist!

The route is from Wilmington, NC to Albuquerque via I-20, Future I-22, and I-40.  It looks like we'll be in New Mexico from Monday thru most of Thursday before heading back via I-25, I-10 and I-20.

Monday will be exploring more of Albuquerque - Sandia Peak Tramway, Old Town, Petroglyph National Monument, possibly more.

Tuesday will most likely be a drive North into Colorado to Great Sand Dunes National Park

Wednesday will be a trip west to Petrified Forest National Park and parts of Old 66

Thursday will be South to White Sands National Monument and the beginning of heading back east.

So a few questions:  Suggestions for places to eat within Albuquerque or other possibilities to see in the area.  (IN 2007, I went to Taos, the Rio Grande Bridge, CO/NM 17, Mesa Verde, Four Corners, and the Turqoise Trail.)

Also, what are a few great towns or roadside attractions along I-40 and I-20 that will be worth taking a brief detour and checking out.  Something that will be worth a break in 14-15 hour driving days!

Thanks!
Adam

Truvelo

I'm going to Albuquerque in June so I'll be interested in seeing your pics.
Speed limits limit life

Scott5114

It has been said that there is a town in northeast New Mexico which contains a volcano and a house with a rather vast array of old signs. It sounds terribly impressive.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CanesFan27

Quote from: Truvelo on March 04, 2010, 02:27:58 PM
I'm going to Albuquerque in June so I'll be interested in seeing your pics.

This was my 2007 Trip -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/15530177@N05/collections/72157602921991166/

Really looking forward to exploring more of the area this time.

jdb1234

Quote from: CanesFan27 on March 04, 2010, 02:03:07 PM

The route is from Wilmington, NC to Albuquerque via I-20, Future I-22, and I-40.  It looks like we'll be in New Mexico from Monday thru most of Thursday before heading back via I-25, I-10 and I-20.

Keep in mind that Future I-22 now begins at Coalburg Road in Birmingham.  This is not shown on any maps at this time.

CanesFan27

Made it to New Mexico...had to go via I-40 because of an emergency return trip to Raleigh on Day 1 from Wilmington.

You can follow and comment on the trip real time (or close to it) as I am - as well as others do on their trips - on facebook and twitter:

http://twitter.com/Gribblenation
http://www.facebook.com/gribblenation

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.