News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

San Juan Skyway: west or east?

Started by texaskdog, August 01, 2011, 02:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Heading from Cortez, CO to Mesa Verde NP and then to Black Canyon NP and on to Gunnison, CO.  Originally planned to head through the west side via Telluride since I've been on the east but I heard the east through Durango & Silverton is a much better route, anyway.  My girlfriend hasn't been on either one so wouldn't mind doing one side 2x before doing the other once.

thenetwork

Quote from: texaskdog on August 01, 2011, 02:29:19 PM
Heading from Cortez, CO to Mesa Verde NP and then to Black Canyon NP and on to Gunnison, CO.  Originally planned to head through the west side via Telluride since I've been on the east but I heard the east through Durango & Silverton is a much better route, anyway.  My girlfriend hasn't been on either one so wouldn't mind doing one side 2x before doing the other once.

I have driven both (CO-145 & US 550) and I would have to say that US-550/The Million Dollar Highway gets the slight edge.  Both are very scenic, but US-550 is a little more traveled and there are a few more good towns to pass through for services. 

Always good to check at the very last minute at www.cotrip.org.  The state does a very good job at having the latest road/traffic/construction information on line. 

texaskdog

Thanks.  We could have done the whole thing, but want to go to Black Canyon & Royal Gorge instead.

texaskdog

Going back to Colorado this summer, taking the Durango train and then going up the west side, then to Arches NP and back across Colorado on I-70!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.