News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Should I-19 BGS be All metric or standard?

Started by mapman1071, December 06, 2011, 11:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I-19 BGS Stay metric or be replaced with standard Or Both On BGS?

Stay Metric
17 (47.2%)
Replaced With Standard
11 (30.6%)
Place Both on BGS
8 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: June 18, 2012, 12:04:47 AM

Jordanah1

ugh...my years of chemistry and physics have taught me to love metric, but my whole life i have used standard, and love it dearly...supporting either one is like being a packer fan and cheering for the bears, because i know if they win it will benefit us....still makes me cringe...so i would compromise, and say put both on...standard, because it is after all 'the standard' for highways in the us, and metric to help our neighbors, and because we seem to be slowly switching over.
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

sp_redelectric

Just make it happen.  Now, while it seems we have to replace all the signs anyways for reflectivity requirements, Clearview, putting exit numbers on signs...

New signs should be metric.  Or...start at the borders and work our way in.  That way the border areas that are already familiar with metric measurements in Canada and Mexico will have an easy adjustment...then further and further in...  Start with the Interstates, then the non-Interstate NHS routes (starting with primary routes, than the 3dis.)  The states can set their own timetables for state, county and city routes.  Set a deadline of 2020 for all signs on the NHS (Interstate and non-interstate) to be completed.

Brandon

Quote from: sp_redelectric on May 07, 2012, 08:54:23 PM
Just make it happen.  Now, while it seems we have to replace all the signs anyways for reflectivity requirements, Clearview, putting exit numbers on signs...

New signs should be metric.  Or...start at the borders and work our way in.  That way the border areas that are already familiar with metric measurements in Canada and Mexico will have an easy adjustment...then further and further in...  Start with the Interstates, then the non-Interstate NHS routes (starting with primary routes, than the 3dis.)  The states can set their own timetables for state, county and city routes.  Set a deadline of 2020 for all signs on the NHS (Interstate and non-interstate) to be completed.

Why?  What's the advantage of switching over the roads except to be like everyone else?  There is no solid reason for it.  A mixed system works just fine.  Give me my gallon of milk, two liter of pop, and take me a mile down the road for a 500mg prescription.  Our system right now fits the grid on the ground.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

Reopened the poll in case there's further interest.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on May 08, 2012, 11:20:12 PMGive me my gallon of milk, two liter of pop,

ahem, metric is "soda".  pop comes in quarts.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 09, 2012, 11:52:43 AM
Quote from: Brandon on May 08, 2012, 11:20:12 PMGive me my gallon of milk, two liter of pop,

ahem, metric is "soda".  pop comes in quarts.

Yet baking soda usually comes by the pound, and pop tarts are sold in boxes.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on May 09, 2012, 04:45:10 PM

Yet baking soda usually comes by the pound, and pop tarts are sold in boxes.

pop tarts are usually wholesaled by the furlong

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

sr641

I think Interstate 19 should be signed using milage. In the USA we don't use metric, we use the standard system.
Isaac

national highway 1

However, nowadays, most of the world is using metric as the standard unit of measurement.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

kphoger

Quote from: sr641 on May 09, 2012, 08:05:50 PM
I think Interstate 19 should be signed using milage. In the USA we don't use metric, we use the standard system.

We do use metric.  Just not on road signs.
When was the last time you bought a 4.23-pint of Pepsi?  Or taken 17.6 milliounces of Tylenol?
Just saying...
Male pronouns, please.

english si

Is it legal to sell 2 litre bottles of Pepsi? In the UK, we can buy containers of (usually milk and beer/cider) that have a (UK) pint in them, but they are officially 568ml, rather than a pint as you can't sell anything but draft beer/cider in pints.

The bottle of milk in my fridge is labelled with 2.272 Litres (4 pints), though they've either stopped putting the big number 4 on the label, or that was ASDA not TESCOs. They can give the pint equivalent, but it must be afterwards and as-or-less prominent. They could get away with the number as it was part of the branding and made no reference to pints.

You also get odd sizes for canned food, until you calculate that it's a whole number of ounces (though even then a bit of a strange number). Market traders often give the price per 454g/1lb, as they want to use pounds (and people want to buy in pounds), but by law have to sell in metric.

kphoger

Quote from: english si on May 10, 2012, 11:46:10 AM
Is it legal to sell 2 litre bottles of Pepsi? In the UK, we can buy containers of (usually milk and beer/cider) that have a (UK) pint in them, but they are officially 568ml, rather than a pint as you can't sell anything but draft beer/cider in pints.

That's the standard for parties.  We have cans and small bottles measured in ounces, then 1-liter bottles and 2-liter bottles.  And nobody bats an eye.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Yeah, in the US, I am pretty sure you can market it however you wish, as long as you give a conversion at the bottom of the label. So soda is sold in 12-oz cans and 20-oz bottles, and then the larger sizes are 1 liter and 2 liter (I have seen 1.5 liter and 3 liter as well). But milk is sold by the gallon and turkey by the pound. Drug dosages tend to be quoted by the milligram. Pencil lead and pen thickness is measured in millimeters. It's all sort of stupid.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.