News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Traveling from Santa Rosa, NM to Durango, CO. Which way?

Started by texaskdog, June 11, 2012, 02:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Originally coming from Austin and intended to head north on US 550 from Albuquerque but its only about 15 minutes longer and 5 miles shorter to go through Santa Fe and enter Colorado on US 84.  Anyone familiar with either or both routes scenery wise?

NE2

Quote from: texaskdog on June 11, 2012, 02:21:08 PM
about 15 minutes longer and 5 miles shorter
You say this as if calculated driving times are accurate. 550 is a good-quality four-lane.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

texaskdog

Quote from: NE2 on June 11, 2012, 03:18:49 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on June 11, 2012, 02:21:08 PM
about 15 minutes longer and 5 miles shorter
You say this as if calculated driving times are accurate. 550 is a good-quality four-lane.

Good point.  Guess it makes the question "which is more scenic and how much longer is it?"

Alps

Limited (nonzero) familiarity says that you won't be disappointed with the scenery either way, and if you at all want to stop in Santa Fe, take 84. (Going to the old city for the old buildings there is, IMO, worthwhile.)

Jim

I've done them both (well, from Albuquerque, not SR) a few times, and both are great rides.  550 will have more desert scenery, 84 more mountains.  I think 550 is quite a bit faster going to Durango from ABQ but you're probably right that it's closer to the same time from SR.  Most of my trips were aiming for Pagosa Springs as a base for skiing at Wolf Creek, but I would mix up the routes.  I know I did all 84, did some 285, at least once all the way on 550 up through Durango, sometimes 550 to 537.  537 is one desolate road, would hate to have car trouble in the middle of that stretch.  Heading for Durango, that wouldn't make much sense for you in any case.  You won't be disappointed in any route through that part of the country.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

texaskdog

Thanks.  Assuming from Austin that I must go through Lubbock in any case.  It's a long trip to Durango in one day with a 14 year old & 7 year old, but if we can add a little more scenery without much more driving we'll do it.  Good suggestions.

Milepost61

I haven't been on that part of 550, but the aesthetic treatments done on the 84-285 freeway north of Santa Fe are worth the drive.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.