News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ziney people

Started by bandit957, February 03, 2019, 03:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on February 13, 2019, 02:09:41 PM

Quote from: kphoger on February 13, 2019, 12:38:43 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on February 12, 2019, 07:28:42 PM
Except there's nothing remotely funny about that douche.

Hm.  I wonder what causes the rhythmic contractions of my diaphragm when I watch clips from his show on YouTube, then...   :hmmm:

The instinctive urge to vomit?

Maybe that's it.

Usually, though, I don't grin when dry-heaving.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

csw

Hey, this is a fun thread.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on February 13, 2019, 02:28:44 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 13, 2019, 02:09:41 PM
Quote from: kphoger on February 13, 2019, 12:38:43 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 12, 2019, 07:28:42 PM
Except there's nothing remotely funny about that douche.
Hm.  I wonder what causes the rhythmic contractions of my diaphragm when I watch clips from his show on YouTube, then...   :hmmm:
The instinctive urge to vomit?
Maybe that's it.

Usually, though, I don't grin when dry-heaving.

If this is true, then Stewart and Colbert must have some excellent anti-emetic properties, because I've never finished puking.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on February 13, 2019, 04:16:55 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 13, 2019, 04:02:56 PM
I've never finished puking.
That sounds unpleasant.

You know, I contemplated adding "while watching them" to the end of that sentence, but didn't because it felt wordy. :-D

kphoger

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 13, 2019, 04:27:04 PM

Quote from: kphoger on February 13, 2019, 04:16:55 PM

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 13, 2019, 04:02:56 PM
I've never finished puking.

That sounds unpleasant.

You know, I contemplated adding "while watching them" to the end of that sentence, but didn't because it felt wordy. :-D

So, when you watched them, some of the puke stayed inside?  And it's still there?  I stand by my earlier statement:  that sounds unpleasant.
Male pronouns, please.

MNHighwayMan

As long as you've eaten recently, you're always full of puke that has never finished puking.

kphoger

Quote from: Merriam Webster
puke
verb
English Language Learners Definition of puke (Entry 1 of 2)
informal : to empty what is in your stomach through your mouth

When I eat, I almost never begin to empty what is in my stomach through my mouth.  Therefore, it cannot be said that my puking is left unfinished:  it never started.
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

In some cultures, they only eat vomit.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

abefroman329

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

kevinb1994

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Takumi on February 08, 2019, 01:24:22 PM
Gif is an acronym, for graphics interchange format. So hard G for me. Despite what the creator of the format says.

I don't know if the pronunciation of the letter in the original word is really all that relevant, otherwise, for example, laser would sound more like "lazzer." Also, NATO would be "natto," the "E" in BASE jumping would be pronounced, CAPTCHA would not have a "ch" sound, and so on.

The issue really derives from one of the various quirks of English. In words of Germanic origin, "g" stays as "game" in words that start with "ge-" and "gi-," like get and give. But in words of Latin or Greek origin, the g pronunciation changes to "j" as in "geometry" and "engine." (You can find exceptions, but they aren't common. Then, there's words like "judgment," where there's a "j" sound, even though there is no "i" or "e" after the "g.")  Anyway, because "gif" is an acronym, it isn't really either Germanic or Classical, and so we're kind of stuck.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 13, 2019, 09:46:39 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 13, 2019, 06:03:44 PM
Quote from: kphoger on February 13, 2019, 05:48:32 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on February 13, 2019, 05:15:40 PM
Quote from: csw on February 13, 2019, 03:00:24 PM
Hey, this is a fun thread.

I knew there was a thread I forgot to post to when I returned!

Zine is pronounced like "zeen", as in short for magazine.

My middle school art teacher was big into zines. We all had to make one (and then make copies and distribute), and I did mine about a calculator. More specifically, a little red calculator with a flip-open stand that I had found somewhere and decided to keep. It was a bit of a joke for an art project, but ended up being kind of fun. I rode my bike around the neighborhood and dropped a copy of my zine into the street every so often. Some of the neighbors picked up a copy; I never heard what they thought!  :-D

And just for the record, no, I do not consider myself to be a ziney person.  :-P

csw

Quote from: webny99 on March 16, 2019, 04:37:22 PM
Oof, do you make it a point to post on every thread? You realize you don't have to do that, right?

edit: you've got a "threads started" link in your signature....not looking good folks

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: csw on March 16, 2019, 05:31:38 PM
Oof, do you make it a point to post on every thread? You realize you don't have to do that, right?

edit: you've got a "threads started" link in your signature....not looking good folks
It's fine if he contributes something.

csw

Yeah, you're right. Not really sure what the objective of my post was. I guess I'm just not someone who cares about a post count or replying to everything.

webny99

Quote from: csw on March 16, 2019, 05:31:38 PM

I do realize that. I read the thread months ago and made a mental note to post to it if I ever started posting again. And... here I am!

Quoteedit: you've got a "threads started" link in your signature....not looking good folks

Yeah, I should probably get rid of that now that I'm back, but I haven't bothered yet.  :-P

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.