TxDOT plans for I-30, Ferguson Road to Bass Pro (East Dallas and Garland)

Started by MaxConcrete, April 27, 2023, 09:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxConcrete

Public meeting is posted for I-30 in East Dallas and Garland, from Ferguson Road to Bass Pro road (at Lake Hubbard). This section is separate from the difficult section from I-45 to Ferguson Road.

https://www.keepitmovingdallas.com/I30FergusontoBassPro

Observations (M=managed and H=contraflow HOV with movable barriers)
* Proposed freeway is 5-2M-5 plus auxiliary lanes from Ferguson to the US 80 split. Currently it's 4-1H-4. It's a tight squeeze in many places due to minimizing right-of-way acquisition, often leaving no space between the main lanes and frontage roads - just enough space for a barrier.

* Loop 12 interchange remains about the same

* US 80 interchange is totally rebuilt

* The corridor is widened through the TxDOT district headquarters, affecting two parking lots.

* Proposed freeway is 3-1M-3 plus auxiliary lanes from US 80 to I-635. Currently it is 3-1H-3. The proposed design is basically the same lane count as currently exists, except that the managed lane is now a permanent barrier-separated lane. All intersections are rebuilt to have I-30 going over local cross streets. (Currently cross streets go over the freeway.) This section is another tight squeeze with minimal right-of-way acquisition.

* Proposed freeway is 6x6 for two miles east of I-635, then 5x5 plus auxiliary lanes east to Lake Hubbard. It is currently 4x4. It appears that the space between the main lanes and frontage roads will be paved for the new lanes. As with the other sections, right-of-way acquisition is minimal.

* Schematic 7 shows the planned interchange at the Bush Turnpike. It looks like the entire apartment complex on the south side of I-30, named Embree Hill, will need to be demolished. The west side of the complex is so new that the units are not yet occupied. Looking at their web site, it appears that they are offering the new units for lease.

* I've been mentioning minimal right-of-way acquistion. The estimated requirement is 16 acres. Over the 12 mile length, this is an average of only 11 feet of corridor widening. Of course, it varies widely from zero to more than 11 feet.

* It will be ready for bidding in Summer 2027 with an estimated cost of $663 million.

With the other projects planned for I-30, starting from the Mixmaster downtown, the total cost for I-30 improvements will be multiple billions. In Dallas, the downtown Canyon job is currently slated to proceed next.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.