News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

It's warming up and crotch rockets are back in season on Maryland's highways

Started by cpzilliacus, April 15, 2013, 08:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Was driving on U.S. 50 today in Prince George's County, Maryland.

Sure enough, I was behind a guy on a Suzuki Hayabusa, who was headed out of the District of Columbia to do a little crotch rocketing on U.S. 50 east of D.C.

No tag on the bike, though he had what looked like a very expensive jacket, embroidered with Hayabusa and some Japanese characters on the back, and a helmet that was styled after those used by the Nazi German SS prior to and during World War II.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 17, 2013, 09:35:15 PM
The right vehicle for crotch rocket pursuit would be a top-end Mustang or Corvette, or a Viper.  Those are all expensive vehicles, but I don't think the cops would need more than a few of them to put those squids on notice.

I think a typical "crotch rocket" motorcycle can leave even those cars in the dust. 

a Viper goes 0-100mph in about 7.5 seconds.  a Hayabusa is 5.6 seconds. 

a police motorcycle of similar performance would be too dangerous to the uninvolved public.  a helicopter would do the job; I wonder at what frequency of "crotch rocketeering" does it become cost-effective to have such a bird in the air, or on short notice, at all times. 

or, just catch one and slap him with a "300 days of salary" fine, Switzerland style.  and put him in a pillory.  there's your deterrent.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 17, 2013, 09:53:24 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 17, 2013, 09:35:15 PM
The right vehicle for crotch rocket pursuit would be a top-end Mustang or Corvette, or a Viper.  Those are all expensive vehicles, but I don't think the cops would need more than a few of them to put those squids on notice.

I think a typical "crotch rocket" motorcycle can leave even those cars in the dust.

I have no reason to dispute that - but - those cars are much faster than a standard-issue Crown Vic with the 4.6L V8.  And there may be a maximum that the crotch rocketers don't want to exceed, if they wish to live (speeds into the triple digits (MPH) tend to be associated with fatal wrecks).

Maryland is taking delivery  of a large order of  "Chevrolet" (really LHD Holdens) Caprice PPVs, though I don't have any idea how those compare to the Fords they are replacing. 

You know better than I.  Though  I have always liked the "look" of the Vipers, and for freeway pursuit, isn't the top-end speed more important?

a police motorcycle of similar performance would be too dangerous to the uninvolved public.

Apparently the Oklahoma Highway Patrol has at least a few Hayabusas in their fleet. Consider this:

a helicopter would do the job; I wonder at what frequency of "crotch rocketeering" does it become cost-effective to have such a bird in the air, or on short notice, at all times.

The Maryland State Police helicopters are generally not used for traffic enforcement - one of their primary missions is medevac,  along with search and rescue.

or, just catch one and slap him with a "300 days of salary" fine, Switzerland style.  and put him in a pillory.  there's your deterrent.

Finland and Sweden have similar systems of fines - though I also get the impression that many of the D.C.-area crotch rocket enthusiasts are not always gainfully employed.

Seizure and destruction of the motorcycle would probably be a better deterrent.   
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

bugo

The Chargers and Caprices are faster than the Crown Victorias, but not by that much.

agentsteel53

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 18, 2013, 12:25:24 PM
I have no reason to dispute that - but - those cars are much faster than a standard-issue Crown Vic with the 4.6L V8.  And there may be a maximum that the crotch rocketers don't want to exceed, if they wish to live (speeds into the triple digits (MPH) tend to be associated with fatal wrecks).

every rocketeer has his own internal maximum.  I don't know what percentage think 130 is fun, versus what percentage think 170 is fun... but, that said, I think that once you have a cop behind you; if you've already elected to run, you're gonna speed up because you just want to get away.

QuoteYou know better than I.  Though  I have always liked the "look" of the Vipers, and for freeway pursuit, isn't the top-end speed more important?

I have no idea what a Viper goes up to, as they are governed at 155mph.  probably someone has tested an ungoverned one, which is ostensibly what the police would use, but I could not find the result.  the Hayabusa is apparently governed at 186, but maybe 188 or 194 (sources vary).

again, at this speed, get a damn helicopter.

QuoteThe Maryland State Police helicopters are generally not used for traffic enforcement - one of their primary missions is medevac,  along with search and rescue.

got it... by the time the bird's in the air, ground may very well have lost him.  an interesting loophole: outrun the cops.  having no license plate on the rear is helpful, too. 

QuoteSeizure and destruction of the motorcycle would probably be a better deterrent.

or convert it into an Oklahoma-style police bike.  now that would be a deterrent: "go ahead! buy us a new vehicle!" 

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Finland and Sweden have similar systems of fines

as a coincidence - the Swiss fine was levied on a Swedish citizen.  at least, I believe it is a coincidence, as opposed to Switzerland deciding "eh, for this case, we'll use Swedish law, even though the crime took place on Swiss territory."

jake@aaroads.com

PHLBOS

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 17, 2013, 09:41:46 PMI would think  that the auto manufacturers would find it profitable to have law enforcement versions of the Mustang and Camaro - it helps to sell "retail" cars.
The reasoning behind the demise of official police-packaged pony cars was due to the improved performance of standard police vehicles (sedans) during the 1990s.  A mid-90s Caprice police-packaged vehicle could obtain a top speed of 140 mph and a 1996 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (aka CVPI) topped 135 mph at the Michigan State Police test track.  In contrast, no official police packaged sedan made from 1979 through 1989 could top 120 mph.

Most law enforcement agencies wanted the speed of a pony car (or close to one) but the room of a sedan (to transport apprehended prisoners if warranted).  And many of them balked over the notion (& costs) of dispatching 2 vehicles (a pony car to catch the suspects & a sedan to transport them to the station) when 1 vehicle that could do both functions was handled previously... and subsequently.

Pony car-based police vehicles came about in the late 70s/early 80s when then-newly placed emissions and fuel economy laws took a bite into overall vehicle performance and restricted engine choices among larger sedans (a choice vehicle for most police departments). 

It took about a decade, along w/an improving economy/stable gas prices/curbed regulations, for automakers to develop new technologies to improve engine performance.   Once that happened (late 80s/early 90s), the demand for police pony cars basically dried up.

Quote from: bugo on April 18, 2013, 12:31:43 PM
The Chargers and Caprices are faster than the Crown Victorias, but not by that much.
I don't know about the Caprice PPV, but the police-packaged Charger (V8 model) can top 150 mph outdoing the previous fastest police-packaged Mopar sedan, the 1969 Dodge Polara (equipped w/the 440 Magnum that topped 149).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cpzilliacus

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 18, 2013, 05:00:26 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 17, 2013, 09:41:46 PMI would think  that the auto manufacturers would find it profitable to have law enforcement versions of the Mustang and Camaro - it helps to sell "retail" cars.
The reasoning behind the demise of official police-packaged pony cars was due to the improved performance of standard police vehicles (sedans) during the 1990s.  A mid-90s Caprice police-packaged vehicle could obtain a top speed of 140 mph and a 1996 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (aka CVPI) topped 135 mph at the Michigan State Police test track.  In contrast, no official police packaged sedan made from 1979 through 1989 could top 120 mph.

Most law enforcement agencies wanted the speed of a pony car (or close to one) but the room of a sedan (to transport apprehended prisoners if warranted).  And many of them balked over the notion (& costs) of dispatching 2 vehicles (a pony car to catch the suspects & a sedan to transport them to the station) when 1 vehicle that could do both functions was handled previously... and subsequently.

Pony car-based police vehicles came about in the late 70s/early 80s when then-newly placed emissions and fuel economy laws took a bite into overall vehicle performance and restricted engine choices among larger sedans (a choice vehicle for most police departments). 

It took about a decade, along w/an improving economy/stable gas prices/curbed regulations, for automakers to develop new technologies to improve engine performance.   Once that happened (late 80s/early 90s), the demand for police pony cars basically dried up.

Thanks for the detailed discussion.  I recall the Ford Mustang GTs that were used by the Florida Highway Patrol, and especially the Mustangs used by the California Highway Patrol.  At least some of the CHP Mustangs had manual transmissions, pretty rare for a law enforcement car.

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 18, 2013, 05:00:26 PM
Quote from: bugo on April 18, 2013, 12:31:43 PM
I don't know about the Caprice PPV, but the police-packaged Charger (V8 model) can top 150 mph outdoing the previous fastest police-packaged Mopar sedan, the 1969 Dodge Polara (equipped w/the 440 Magnum that topped 149).

In Maryland, the State Police (for some reason) preferred Plymouth over Dodge, and the fastest trooper car the MSP ever had was a 1969 Plymouth Fury, presumably with that 440 Magnum under the hood. An MSP old-timer told me once that the MSP Furys were capable of better than 150 MPH, though I obviously have never confirmed that myself.

sdmichael

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 16, 2013, 01:22:39 PM
Quote from: sdmichael on April 16, 2013, 01:09:58 PMbut not one I'd drag my knees with, not that I want to anyway.
not even on CA-89 coming up the pass?

No need to drag knees unless you want to go really fast in a curve, to which there is little point unless you're actually racing.

kphoger

You know better than I.  Though  I have always liked the "look" of the Vipers, and for freeway pursuit, isn't the top-end speed more important?

Indeed.  My father was once cycling to work, and found himself next to a Viper at a red light.  This was downtown Wichita, on Kellogg underneath the highway.  The driver and my dad made eye contact and challenged each other to a race.  The race lasted a total of one block, to the next red light.  My dad won.  By any other reasoning than what you stated above, a bicycle would be better at chasing speeders than a Viper.

FWIW, I once saw a car pulled over by a red Ford Mustang on I-57 in Illinois; this would have been between 2006 and 2008.  Before that, if I was speeding more above the speed limit than I felt comfortable being clocked at, I wouldn't bother slowing down for an oncoming vehcile if I could "tell" by looking at it that it wasn't a police car.  After that, I realized I could always tell if a vehicle was or wasn't a police car until it was right on top of me.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

PHLBOS

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 18, 2013, 06:12:02 PMIn Maryland, the State Police (for some reason) preferred Plymouth over Dodge, and the fastest trooper car the MSP ever had was a 1969 Plymouth Fury, presumably with that 440 Magnum under the hood. An MSP old-timer told me once that the MSP Furys were capable of better than 150 MPH, though I obviously have never confirmed that myself.
I'm sure the Furys (which were basically Polaras with a slightly shorter wheelbase) w/the 440s got similar top speed ratings.  I only mentioned the Dodge Polara because the one reference I read was from CHiP which, prior to 1975, didn't even consider using a vehicle that had a wheelbase shorter than 122" nor a curb weight less than 3800 lbs for its Enforcement Class vehicle. 

Such requirements were one reason why police-packaged models weren't restricted to just the basic Fords, Chevys & Plymouths back then.  In addition to Dodge; Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile and even Mercury offered police packages for their full-size vehicles.  Many state police agencies from the late 60s through the late 70s used the '69-'74 Mercury Monterrey and the '75-'78 base Marquis w/its 124" wheelbase as their primary patrol cars.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cpzilliacus

Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2013, 12:37:32 PM

Indeed.  My father was once cycling to work, and found himself next to a Viper at a red light.  This was downtown Wichita, on Kellogg underneath the highway.  The driver and my dad made eye contact and challenged each other to a race.  The race lasted a total of one block, to the next red light.  My dad won.  By any other reasoning than what you stated above, a bicycle would be better at chasing speeders than a Viper.

Note that I added the qualifying word freeway in front of pursuit.

Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2013, 12:37:32 PM
FWIW, I once saw a car pulled over by a red Ford Mustang on I-57 in Illinois; this would have been between 2006 and 2008.  Before that, if I was speeding more above the speed limit than I felt comfortable being clocked at, I wouldn't bother slowing down for an oncoming vehcile if I could "tell" by looking at it that it wasn't a police car.  After that, I realized I could always tell if a vehicle was or wasn't a police car until it was right on top of me.

A former colleague got stopped by a Florida trooper on I-95 between Daytona Beach and Jacksonville quite a few years ago.  The trooper in the (marked) FHP car had measured his speed from the other direction, then came across the median  and chased him down.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 22, 2013, 02:13:28 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 18, 2013, 06:12:02 PMIn Maryland, the State Police (for some reason) preferred Plymouth over Dodge, and the fastest trooper car the MSP ever had was a 1969 Plymouth Fury, presumably with that 440 Magnum under the hood. An MSP old-timer told me once that the MSP Furys were capable of better than 150 MPH, though I obviously have never confirmed that myself.
I'm sure the Furys (which were basically Polaras with a slightly shorter wheelbase) w/the 440s got similar top speed ratings.  I only mentioned the Dodge Polara because the one reference I read was from CHiP which, prior to 1975, didn't even consider using a vehicle that had a wheelbase shorter than 122" nor a curb weight less than 3800 lbs for its Enforcement Class vehicle.

Wonder if that explains why the CHP seemed to liked Dodge instead of Plymouth?

Such requirements were one reason why police-packaged models weren't restricted to just the basic Fords, Chevys & Plymouths back then.  In addition to Dodge; Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile and even Mercury offered police packages for their full-size vehicles.  Many state police agencies from the late 60s through the late 70s used the '69-'74 Mercury Monterrey and the '75-'78 base Marquis w/its 124" wheelbase as their primary patrol cars.

Around Maryland, Virginia and  D.C., GM police cars (except for Chevrolet) were pretty rare. Pontiac sold some in mid-to-late 1970's, but otherwise, it was usually Ford, Plymouth and Chevy.  Prince George's County, Maryland had a large number of Chevy Nova police cars in the 1970's.

The United States Park Police had 1974 AMC Matador police cars for a while, and the U.S. Secret Service had a preference for many of its plainclothes agents in the D.C. area. to ride around in Mercury Colony Park station wagons.

kphoger

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 22, 2013, 04:33:32 PM

Oh, yes, I was actually agreeing with you.  My grammar was just a bit wonky.

A former colleague got stopped by a Florida trooper on I-95 between Daytona Beach and Jacksonville quite a few years ago.  The trooper in the (marked) FHP car had measured his speed from the other direction, then came across the median  and chased him down.

I've had that happen to me, on the turnpike coming back from Tulsa to Wichita.  The speed limit is 75, he clocked me at 81 and flipped a U across the grass median.  Only gave me a warning, though.  I thought for sure I'd have a ticket.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2013, 10:32:35 PM
I've had that happen to me, on the turnpike coming back from Tulsa to Wichita.  The speed limit is 75, he clocked me at 81 and flipped a U across the grass median.  Only gave me a warning, though.  I thought for sure I'd have a ticket.

I have seen this happen myself several times on the Ohio Turnpike, though less since much of the Pike is now three lanes each way with a Jersey barrier in the middle (it used to be a well-maintained grassy median, much of it sloped like a gentle "V" for drainage and perhaps to prevent head-on wrecks across that median).

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2013, 10:32:35 PM

Oh, yes, I was actually agreeing with you.  My grammar was just a bit wonky.

I saw that in Nebraska on I-80 as well.  Personally, I think it should be illegal for the cop to do with his scout car.  It is unpredictable, and what if he hits something in the median like a rock or a culvert?  Or if it's wet and muddy and the cop gets the scout car stuck?  I guess the taxpayers are on the hook for the damage he did to his scout car and the tow required to get him out.

I favor blocking access to the median and limiting the number of crossovers to prevent this sort of dangerous behavior.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Quote from: Brandon on April 23, 2013, 10:00:23 AM
I saw that in Nebraska on I-80 as well.  Personally, I think it should be illegal for the cop to do with his scout car.  It is unpredictable, and what if he hits something in the median like a rock or a culvert?  Or if it's wet and muddy and the cop gets the scout car stuck?  I guess the taxpayers are on the hook for the damage he did to his scout car and the tow required to get him out.

I favor blocking access to the median and limiting the number of crossovers to prevent this sort of dangerous behavior.

This happens in Kentucky all the time. Meet a cop on a four-lane divided highway and he clocks you going over the speed limit, and he whips through the grass median and pulls over the speeder. Several years ago a young Kentucky Vehicle Enforcement officer got killed doing this. He was eastbound on I-64 near Exit 65 and met a speeding passenger vehicle. When he whipped through the median, he lost control and crashed into a rock cut for the westbound lanes.

I like Jersey barriers or cable barriers in the median. I tend to drive a little faster if I know there's a lesser chance of being pulled over by a cop that I meet.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: hbelkins on April 23, 2013, 10:23:37 AM
I like Jersey barriers or cable barriers in the median. I tend to drive a little faster if I know there's a lesser chance of being pulled over by a cop that I meet.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. That's one thing I like about the recent addition of cable median barriers on the NJDOT freeways.

Of course, on the Turnpike, you still have State Troopers flying up the left lane at 90 mph and when the left lane of the truck lanes is too slow, he whips into the car lanes through the "Z" openings and does the same thing again.

PHLBOS

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 22, 2013, 04:50:59 PM

Wonder if that explains why the CHP seemed to liked Dodge instead of Plymouth?
Correct.  That's exactly why CHiP drove Polaras/Monacos rather than Furys thorugh 1974.  In 1970, they chose the 124" wheelbased Mercury Monterrey over the 121" wheelbased Ford Custom as their Enforcement Class vehicle.  That was the one year they deviated from Dodges during the 70s.

Around Maryland, Virginia and  D.C., GM police cars (except for Chevrolet) were pretty rare. Pontiac sold some in mid-to-late 1970's, but otherwise, it was usually Ford, Plymouth and Chevy.  Prince George's County, Maryland had a large number of Chevy Nova police cars in the 1970's.
To be clear, not all states had a minimum wheelbase requirement at the time.  CHiP was just one rather large agency that did.  Many states and local law enforcement agencies indeed went with just Fords, Chevys & Plymouths.  Two other state police agencies that used Buick LeSabres and Mercury Monterreys/Marquis' (base model), back then, were New Jersey & Missouri.

The United States Park Police had 1974 AMC Matador police cars for a while, and the U.S. Secret Service had a preference for many of its plainclothes agents in the D.C. area. to ride around in Mercury Colony Park station wagons.
Do keep in mind that back in the 70s; many mid-size cars were almost as large as some full-size cars of the 1960s.  As a result, mid-size police-packaged  cars started to become fairly popular even before the first oil/gas price shock of 1973.  When the 2nd wave of downsizing hit in the 1980s (w/mid-sizes converting to FWD); most true police pursuit packages were once again restricted to full-size sedans.

If a Colony Park wagon (exterior woodgrain and all) was used for the above, chances are it was a retail model and not a police package.  Police-packaged wagons, typically used for K-9 transport, were of the more plainer, base models.  In Mercury's case, the police packaged wagon was restricted to the more basic Monterrey & Marquis (no woodgrain) wagons.

FYI, most of my police vehicle knowledge came from the various police vehicle publications by Corporal Edwin Sanow like the one pictured below.  A good read and a must-have for either police-vehicle and full-size car enthusiasts IMHO.

Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2013, 12:37:32 PMFWIW, I once saw a car pulled over by a red Ford Mustang on I-57 in Illinois; this would have been between 2006 and 2008.  Before that, if I was speeding more above the speed limit than I felt comfortable being clocked at, I wouldn't bother slowing down for an oncoming vehcile if I could "tell" by looking at it that it wasn't a police car.  After that, I realized I could always tell if a vehicle was or wasn't a police car until it was right on top of me.
As stated earlier, although there hasn't been an official police-packaged Mustang available after 1993 doesn't necessarily mean that state police won't use a newer retail model for pursuit duties, warranties be damned.

Although the 2005-2010 Mustang GTs are equipped with the same sized 4.6L engine as the fullsize CVPI, the overall vehicle's lighter and the engine's more beefed up (300 hp vs. 250 hp on the CVPI); thereby yielding all-round better performance.  The faster performance coupled with the fact that most people assume that police normally use sedans; gives pony cars a sense of stealth.

That's why it's usually a good idea to know & keep tabs on the differences between an 'official' license plate (typically worn on police vehicles, though not always) vs. a standard-issue plate... just in case a non-ordinary vehicle is used for enforcement.  :nod:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cpzilliacus

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 24, 2013, 08:31:19 AM
Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2013, 12:37:32 PMFWIW, I once saw a car pulled over by a red Ford Mustang on I-57 in Illinois; this would have been between 2006 and 2008.  Before that, if I was speeding more above the speed limit than I felt comfortable being clocked at, I wouldn't bother slowing down for an oncoming vehcile if I could "tell" by looking at it that it wasn't a police car.  After that, I realized I could always tell if a vehicle was or wasn't a police car until it was right on top of me.
As stated earlier, although there hasn't been an official police-packaged Mustang available after 1993 doesn't necessarily mean that state police won't use a newer retail model for pursuit duties, warranties be damned.

Although the 2005-2010 Mustang GTs are equipped with the same sized 4.6L engine as the fullsize CVPI, the overall vehicle's lighter and the engine's more beefed up (300 hp vs. 250 hp on the CVPI); thereby yielding all-round better performance.  The faster performance coupled with the fact that most people assume that police normally use sedans; gives pony cars a sense of stealth.

Maryland State Police have never had Mustangs as far as I know.  They had a few Chevy  Camaros in the previous decade, purchased for them by the MdTA for use primarily on the JFK Highway (I-95 between Baltimore and the Delaware border).  The MdTA's own police also had a few, mostly  for patrol on I-95 through Baltimore City.

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 24, 2013, 08:31:19 AM
That's why it's usually a good idea to know & keep tabs on the differences between an 'official' license plate (typically worn on police vehicles, though not always) vs. a standard-issue plate... just in case a non-ordinary vehicle is used for enforcement.  :nod:

Maryland has been inconsistent about this.

Most of the time, the unmarked trooper cars have regular civilian tags.  Sometimes they have had the official MSP tags (currently hideously embossed ugly black on orange), and I  have seen a few with "SG" (state government) tags, though that is rare.

PHLBOS

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 24, 2013, 03:54:42 PMMaryland State Police have never had Mustangs as far as I know.
Aren't you contradicting yourself from a few posts back?  :)

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 17, 2013, 09:41:46 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on April 17, 2013, 02:35:20 PM
The last time I was driving along I-95 in Maryland, I did see a black 2005-2009 Mustang GT go by with a trooper driving it.  The car in question had some lights and an extra antenna mounted on it so it wasn't someone's personal car.  It's likely that car's being used to catch some faster vehicles and motorcycles perps.

Probably a Barrack "M" (JFK Highway) car.  That barrack is like some of the Turnpike troops on longer toll roads in states like New Jersey, New York, Ohio and Pennsylvania.  It is entirely funded by the Maryland Transportation Authority, since that's the only road that its troopers normally work.  MdTA has in the past purchased "hot" cars for MdTA use on the JFK Highway part of I-95 (roughly mile marker 62 through 109).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cpzilliacus

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 24, 2013, 05:00:26 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 24, 2013, 03:54:42 PMMaryland State Police have never had Mustangs as far as I know.

State it this way - I have not personally seen the MSP driving a Ford pony, but I have seen them  driving Camaros several times.  And when the Mustangs were popular with some other highway patrol-type agencies in the U.S. (Florida and California Highway Patrols), MSP was not interested in such cars.

PHLBOS

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 24, 2013, 06:43:45 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on April 24, 2013, 05:00:26 PM

State it this way - I have not personally seen the MSP driving a Ford pony, but I have seen them  driving Camaros several times.  And when the Mustangs were popular with some other highway patrol-type agencies in the U.S. (Florida and California Highway Patrols), MSP was not interested in such cars.
And I personally have per my earlier post.  The vehicle profile and tri-bar taillights were unmistakable (S197-platformed Mustang).  Since it was along I-95 (JFK Highway), it was likely a Barrack "M" car per your earlier post.  And this siting took place within the last 5 years.

Whether this was an experimental (one-off) order or part of a small fleet (less than 5); I don't know, it may have very well been the former.

IIRC, back when the Police-Packaged Mustang did exist; the Maryland State Police was then known for driving B-bodied Chevys (Impala through '85, Caprice from '86-'90) equipped w/front bucket seats.  Most police agencies, back then, simply went with the then-more common straight bench or flight bench seats up front in their full-size sedans.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cpzilliacus

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 25, 2013, 11:27:01 AM
Whether this was an experimental (one-off) order or part of a small fleet (less than 5); I don't know, it may have very well been the former.

It was probably a one-off by the Maryland Transportation Authority, not the MSP.  I drive a lot on  Maryland freeways (since I live here), but not so much on the JFK Highway, which is likely where the Mustangs were based, at Barrack "M."  I did see the Chevy Camaros that were used along the JFK Highway about  10 years ago.

cpzilliacus

Wonder if this California Highway Patrol pursuit (which ended in what was apparently a head-on crash in Glendale) involved a crotch rocket?  From the look of the tire in the associated video, I suspect it was.

CHP Pursuit Ends Horrifically With Suspect Cyclist Crashing Head-On Into Car

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.