VA: Bill allowing 70 MPH passes GA, goes to Gov for signature

Started by froggie, February 17, 2010, 07:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 26, 2010, 02:11:39 AM
Looks like I-77 WILL become 70 MPH South of I-81 after all.
http://www.virginiadot.org/info/resources/70_mph_Phase_List.pdf

I-77 will be posted as 70 MPH in two phases.
Alas, no.  The phase list was a months-old priority list for segments to be studied.  Studies have been completed for both of the I-77 segments south of I-81, but neither was approved for an increase, at least not at this time.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

froggie

James, that's the list of segments that VDOT planned to study.  They wound up studying all the Interstate segments in one swoop.  The link Will posted last week is the recommendations...I-77 south of Wytheville will remain 65.

(EDIT) Oscar:  not quite true either.  They're recommending 70 MPH north of Wytheville to Big Walker Mtn.  Unless you know something we don't and CTB didn't follow through on that recommendation.

oscar

The I-77 segment(s) approved for 70mph are north of I-81.  I was referring, as was rickmastfan67, to the segments south of I-81.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

rickmastfan67

froggie

It's still a bit early, but as of yesterday, no 70 MPH signs yet on I-81 near Strasburg or on I-66.

WillWeaverRVA

Here's a more specific list of areas that will increase to 70mph speed limits:

http://www.virginiadot.org/news/resources/Statewide/VDOT_FINAL_RECOMM_LISt.pdf

I have yet to drive around the Richmond metro area and see if 70mph speed limits have been posted but I can say that I-64 is not yet posted at 70mph between Charlottesville and VA 288.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

froggie

No 70 yet on I-66, or on 81 north of Harrisonburg, but I saw a 70 MPH sign today south of Harrisonburg, beginning just south of Exit 243 on the south side of town.  Don't know how far this zone goes, as I was getting off at the following exit (Exit 240/VA 257).

I-64 east of Clifton Forge is also signed now at 70 MPH, at least between Exit 27 (US 220 South) and Exit 43 (SR 780).

froggie

A poster on MTR commented yesterday that northbound 81 is now 70 MPH between Harrisonburg and Strasburg.  Which means it A) got changed since Saturday, or B) they changed northbound first.  I'd gone southbound Saturday morning and it was still 65 MPH on that stretch going south.

WillWeaverRVA

I-295 between I-64 (Short Pump) and Woodman Road is now posted at 70mph. However, there are no reduced speed signs posted near the northern terminus, meaning the route is signed at 70mph clear up to the final loop ramp to I-64 eastbound (which has a 25mph ramp speed). There's even a SPEED LIMIT 70 sign right in front of the I-295 ENDS 1 MILE sign. This is rather dangerous and I'm going to contact VDOT to get this corrected.
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

agentsteel53

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on November 03, 2010, 06:39:37 PMThere's even a SPEED LIMIT 70 sign right in front of the I-295 ENDS 1 MILE sign. This is rather dangerous and I'm going to contact VDOT to get this corrected.

I wouldn't have them lower the limit -just put up an advisory sign for the curve.  If you *can* do 70mph around that curve (because you drive a Z3 or something) then you should be allowed to.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 03, 2010, 07:07:10 PM
Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on November 03, 2010, 06:39:37 PMThere's even a SPEED LIMIT 70 sign right in front of the I-295 ENDS 1 MILE sign. This is rather dangerous and I'm going to contact VDOT to get this corrected.

I wouldn't have them lower the limit -just put up an advisory sign for the curve.  If you *can* do 70mph around that curve (because you drive a Z3 or something) then you should be allowed to.

I understand your opinion of speed limits (or the lack thereof), but it's simply not possible to do 70mph on that curve. Even 55mph is dangerous; it's signed 25mph for a reason, but only at the curve itself - drivers stop dead in their tracks to slow for the curve after doing nearly 90 right up to it. That's why that interchange was reconfigured between 2006 and 2009 (though only the I-64 EB entrance to I-295 SB was reconfigured into a flyover where 70mph is perfectly fine).
Will Weaver

vdeane

Why should the speed limit for a whole mile of road be lowered for one curve that can be signed with an advisory speed?  They should warn of the curve sooner, but if I saw the speed limit lower for no apparent reason, I'd just think the state was trying to get more ticket revenue.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

agentsteel53

Quote from: deanej on November 04, 2010, 11:05:45 AM
if I saw the speed limit lower for no apparent reason, I'd just think the state was trying to get more ticket revenue.

it's Virginia.  I wouldn't put the idea past them.

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

If anything, the segment of I-295 in question should remain 65 MPH.  Partly for the curves, and partly for consistency with what the speed limit is on I-64.

agentsteel53

what about raising I-64 to 70mph?

I've always thought lowering the speed limit for a winding section of road is lame.  Especially out in rural areas - Nevada comes to mind.  US-50 is 70mph for most of it, but just when you get to an interesting mountain section and think you can do 75 around the curves and have a fun time ... wham, instant 55 with the police waiting.

assholes.

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

Raising I-64 to 70 MPH was considered and studied.  For whatever reason, VDOT recommended and CTB chose to keep that stretch of I-64 at 65 MPH.

WillWeaverRVA

Traffic is too consistently heavy on that stretch of I-64 for a speed limit increase to be safe. (And I don't want to hear about letting nature take its course, etc.)
Will Weaver

agentsteel53

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on November 04, 2010, 06:53:23 PM
Traffic is too consistently heavy on that stretch of I-64 for a speed limit increase to be safe. (And I don't want to hear about letting nature take its course, etc.)

how fast does traffic in general move on that road?  if everyone's doing 80, it may help resolve cognitive dissonance to raise the speed limit.

jake@aaroads.com

WillWeaverRVA

Depends on the time of day, but it's irrelevant since there are two significant freeway-to-freeway junctions within 1 1/2 miles of one another, and I-64 is only 4 lanes west of I-295. Traffic backups are common not only during rush hour, but sometimes on weekends or other shopping days since Short Pump is now a huge shopping district. The interchange between I-64 and US 250 is at such an oblique angle (and can't be reconfigured due to nearby development; no one really envisioned that Short Pump would become such a developer magnet when the interchange was built) that traffic on the offramps often backs up onto I-64 between 9am and 9pm on most days.

By the time the "danger zone", you're pretty much already approaching Richmond (speed limit drops to 60 near Parham Rd) and I-64 gradually becomes more substandard (no median, limited shoulders, etc).

Given how bad traffic can be along the I-95 corridor in much of Virginia, high speed limits are suicide in dense suburbs and urban areas. I-95 in downtown Richmond will likely never be signed at higher than 55mph, and it never should be since between VA 161 and Maury Street (about 6 miles), you're usually not going over 50.
Will Weaver

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 04, 2010, 07:51:15 PM
Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on November 04, 2010, 07:48:55 PMdeveloper magnet

in that case, nature really needs to take its course!  :pan:

I'll agree with you there. Development exploded around 2000 or so. I first traveled to Short Pump in 1999, when it was completely empty and the only sign of development was Walmart on US 250!
Will Weaver

rickmastfan67

Why should the speed limit for a whole mile of road be lowered for one curve that can be signed with an advisory speed?  They should warn of the curve sooner, but if I saw the speed limit lower for no apparent reason, I'd just think the state was trying to get more ticket revenue.

Well, PennDOT for example slows down I-79 to about 40 MPH going downhill about 1 mile before NB I-79 intersects I-70 because of the horrific 270-degree turn to get onto I-70 WB / I-79 NB.

WillWeaverRVA

Well, it's not just any curve. At the terminus, the left two lanes quickly merge into the right lane, which makes the loop onto I-64 WB. The acceleration lane from this ramp becomes an exit only lane for the US 250 WB (Short Pump) exit.
Will Weaver

vdeane

So why not just have "Ramp - 55 mph" or something like that?  We do such things in NY all the time.

They could also eliminate a lane or two on the ramp to deal with the merge.  I've never understood why you would start a ramp with multiple lanes only to narrow before the ramp ends.  Fortunately, such things are very rare in NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: deanej on November 05, 2010, 09:31:03 AM
So why not just have "Ramp - 55 mph" or something like that?  We do such things in NY all the time.

They could also eliminate a lane or two on the ramp to deal with the merge.  I've never understood why you would start a ramp with multiple lanes only to narrow before the ramp ends.  Fortunately, such things are very rare in NY.

Well, officially the ramp doesn't begin until the exit sign (yes, there is a gore point exit sign, as I-295 was originally planned to continue on as an unbuilt part of the John Rolfe Pkwy).
Will Weaver

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.