News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Picked up 3 old Mobil roadmaps of northeastern states today

Started by jon daly, August 19, 2018, 08:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon daly

2 appear to be pre-1957. They use the Socony-Vacuum-Mobilgas brand. One is of New York State and the other is of Northern New England.

The other appears to be pre-1966. It has the Mobil brand, but not the Noyes designed logo that's been used since then (the red "o" between blue letters.) This one is of southern New England. I noticed some typos. Proposed I-495 in Mass. is labeled I-445 and I-95 in Westchester Cty N.Y. sports a I-98 shield.

They weren't in mint condition, but it was $6 for the trio.

US71

Quote from: jon daly on August 19, 2018, 08:06:51 PM
2 appear to be pre-1957. They use the Socony-Vacuum-Mobilgas brand. One is of New York State and the other is of Northern New England.

The other appears to be pre-1966. It has the Mobil brand, but not the Noyes designed logo that's been used since then (the red "o" between blue letters.) This one is of southern New England. I noticed some typos. Proposed I-495 in Mass. is labeled I-445 and I-95 in Westchester Cty N.Y. sports a I-98 shield.

Good price!
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jon daly

Yeah. I plan on reading them, not keeping them in great condition. It's neat seeing some of the changes from over the years (There used to be more alternate routes in southern New England, for example.) Thanks to kurumi's site, I already had a good handle on Conn.'s numbering history, but I would like to learn more about R.I. and Mass. as well as other nearby states.

sparker

Nice!  Can we trouble you to send us some pix of the maps.  Also:  Mobil tended to use McNally cartography; I presume these are McNally maps and not Gousha?  (if by chance they happen to be Gousha, then please, please definitely supply pix!!!!).

jon daly

They are Rand McNally. Give me a day or two and I can upload the pics. I don't have a smart phone so I have to take them, email them to myself then upload them to my blog.

jon daly

jon daly

jon daly

Bright colors  and the folds add a third dimension.

A less paved version of SE Conn.

Ice box gas station with classic car!

Proposed 95 near Peabody Mass.

jon daly

jon daly

The Southern New England map may be 1958 or earlier. It lists I-84 as the PROPOSED designation of the Wilbur Cross Highway northeast of Hartford.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jon daly on August 20, 2018, 08:18:49 PM

Proposed 95 near Peabody Mass.
That map shows the proposed I-95 further east of its current (north of 128) alignment.  Note the distance between it and US 1 along MA 114.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jon daly

Quote from: sparker on August 20, 2018, 01:32:20 AM

Nice!  Can we trouble you to send us some pix of the maps.  Also:  Mobil tended to use McNally cartography; I presume these are McNally maps and not Gousha?  (if by chance they happen to be Gousha, then please, please definitely supply pix!!!!).

I found the codes on the maps and a guide to deciphering them:

https://roadmaps.org/map-information/dating-rand-mcnally-and-gousha-maps/

Northern New England is from 1952.

New York is from '53.

Southern New England is from '60.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.