News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

NCDOT Press Release regarding the start of the project to widen I-40 east (south) of Raleigh. Guess who forgot about I-87 again?:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-10-23-contractors-begin-paving-i-40-widening.aspx

sparker

Quote from: bob7374 on October 23, 2018, 06:15:28 PM
NCDOT Press Release regarding the start of the project to widen I-40 east (south) of Raleigh. Guess who forgot about I-87 again?:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-10-23-contractors-begin-paving-i-40-widening.aspx

I'd guess that whoever is preparing the press releases just hasn't internalized I-87 as of yet -- or possibly they're just not talking about it until projects to upgrade the substandard segments of US 64 are programmed (giving themselves more than a few initial miles to talk about!).  And since I-440 has been around for some time and achieved local significance by now, it would serve more as a recognized location reference than a designation that's only been in existence about 2 years.   

The Ghostbuster

I'm sure Interstate 87 will be fully signed along its corridor in due time. Have some patience.

NE2

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 24, 2018, 02:33:15 PM
I'm sure Interstate 87 will be fully signed along its corridor in due time. Have some patience.
No.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

LM117

Ridge Road residents aren't too happy with NCDOT regarding the possible effects of the upcoming I-440/Glenwood Avenue interchange project...

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article220539475.html
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

wdcrft63

Quote from: LM117 on October 25, 2018, 08:11:39 AM
Ridge Road residents aren't too happy with NCDOT regarding the possible effects of the upcoming I-440/Glenwood Avenue interchange project...

This is going to be a tough one for NCDOT, and they know it. Of course, the claim that "The problem with Glenwood is commuter traffic, not mall traffic"  is silly, the problem is commuter traffic AND mall traffic.

wdcrft63

NCDOT will hold a public hearing on 4-laning a section of US 601 in Surry County. The plans show what is now the standard for at-grade rural 4-lanes: U-turns in place of left turns onto the highway.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/public-meetings/Pages/R-5836-2018-11-01.aspx

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on October 25, 2018, 06:31:14 PM
Quote from: LM117 on October 25, 2018, 08:11:39 AM

This is going to be a tough one for NCDOT, and they know it. Of course, the claim that "The problem with Glenwood is commuter traffic, not mall traffic"  is silly, the problem is commuter traffic AND mall traffic.

I agree. I've only driven Glenwood Ave a few times, but it definitely seemed like mall traffic was just as much of a problem as commuter traffic.

The mall was built in a bad location IMO, but I digress...

orulz

The latest line from NCDOT is to not connect Ridge to Glenwood at all which should put every concern that is not simply hyperventilating to rest. There is some lady with a horse farm on that corner and is concerned about losing a smallish corner of it. Sorry, but no. However, if I lived on Ridge Road I probably wouldn't want that connection either (well, I would support a pedestrian connection over the new bridge, but not one for cars.) Glen Eden isn't that far away for when you are driving to the mall.

LM117

Due to the current resurfacing project on I-40, there will be loop closures at the I-95/I-40 interchange in Benson beginning Oct. 29.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-10-29-loop-closures-i-95-i-40-johnston.aspx

wdcrft63

NCDOT has announced some public hearings for major projects in the Triangle area.

(1) Improvements to US 70 immediately to the west of I-540.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/public-meetings/Pages/U-5518-U-5720-2018-10-30.aspx
All alternatives call for a SPUI at Briar Creek Parkway (replacing a major stoplight), but there are several ideas concerning how to handle the intersection with Alexander Drive just to the west. This project is the start of the proposed upgrade of US 70 to a freeway between I-540 and Future I-885 in Durham.

(2) Widening of I-40 between US 15/501 and the I-85 split.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/public-meetings/Pages/I-3306A-2018-11-05.aspx
This is a straightforward widening project, which should not be controversial at all. There are some changes to the interchange at NC 86 north of Chapel Hill.

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: wdcrft63 on October 29, 2018, 02:19:33 PM
NCDOT has announced some public hearings for major projects in the Triangle area.

This is a straightforward widening project, which should not be controversial at all. There are some changes to the interchange at NC 86 north of Chapel Hill.

I was surprised to see this meeting announced, since the project isn't even funded in the current STIP, and isn't funded for construction in the draft STIP until 2026. Maybe it's been accelerated and hasn't made it into the documents yet? As you said, it's a conventional widening without much impact, so I can't imagine the need to have a meeting seven years before they even start acquiring additional right-of-way.

wdcrft63

I suppose everybody in Charlotte knew this but it was news to me: the Monroe Expressway (US 74 Bypass) is scheduled to open in late November.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-10-30-toll-system-demonstration.aspx

ARMOURERERIC

Just wanted to mention that the upgrade to I-40, Exit 112 is underway.   I cannot wait until widening I-40 to 6-8 lanes makes it to the top of the list, it is really at a choke point from MP 100-132.

OracleUsr

My sister in law drives from Hickory to Morganton daily.  She's going to be hating life for a while.

Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

cowboy_wilhelm

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 30, 2018, 10:03:27 PM
Just wanted to mention that the upgrade to I-40, Exit 112 is underway.   I cannot wait until widening I-40 to 6-8 lanes makes it to the top of the list, it is really at a choke point from MP 100-132.

The section between exits 123 (US-321) to 128 has made it into the draft STIP for widening to six lanes, but it's probably going to be awhile before it gets widened to Morganton. The project is at least under consideration.

Quote from: OracleUsr on October 31, 2018, 06:03:33 AM
My sister in law drives from Hickory to Morganton daily.  She's going to be hating life for a while.

Are they narrowing lanes on 40 during construction?

ARMOURERERIC

No Lane narrowing yet, but multiple interchanges will be upgraded: 116,112,107,103,100.  105&104 are already upgraded, and no news on 106 (Bethel Rd), I have a feeling it may be eliminated

OracleUsr

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on October 31, 2018, 06:03:44 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 30, 2018, 10:03:27 PM

The section between exits 123 (US-321) to 128 has made it into the draft STIP for widening to six lanes, but it's probably going to be awhile before it gets widened to Morganton. The project is at least under consideration.

Quote from: OracleUsr on October 31, 2018, 06:03:33 AM

Are they narrowing lanes on 40 during construction?

I figured they would be soon enough.  I think she gets off I-40 at Bethel Road, but I'm not sure.  Glad my commute for now is only 10 minutes.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on October 17, 2018, 01:58:10 PM
A 1.2-mile stretch of Business 40 in Winston-Salem between Peters Creek Parkway and US-52 will close on November 11 and reopen in summer 2019. Project info here:

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-10-16-business-40-closure-date.aspx

The closure date has been pushed back to Nov. 17 due to wet weather.

https://www.journalnow.com/news/local/business_40/rain-date-wet-weather-pushes-business-closure-to-nov/article_edef59d7-ab93-5a0d-90fd-92011baa15e4.html

ccurley100

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 19, 2018, 09:04:40 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on October 19, 2018, 08:38:35 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on October 19, 2018, 07:46:41 PM
Quote from: wriddle082 on October 19, 2018, 07:05:23 PM
^ I believe the section of "New 40"  from Silas Creek Pkwy to I-74/US 311 (the substandard section) is much older than 1992.  On either side of that section was 1992 vintage and is definitely at modern interstate standards.  I never rode on the old stretch prior to all of it being completed, but I'm going to assume that additional lanes were added prior to it becoming I-40.  And since 1992, the only improvement I can think of that has occurred is a second overpass at the Union Cross Rd exit and it's conversion to a DDI.

Yes, the short segment you describe was opened in the early 1970s

What was it designated when it opened? Was the plan always for it to be a bypass of I-40?

The 1980 Forsythe County map shows this as SR 3827.  The road is shown east to the E. Clemmonsville Rd interchange with ramps extending to NC 109 Thomasville Rd.

The 1990 version shows no designation of any kind though no existing primary route was using it either...

The 1992 Route Change document to add I-40 to it did not mention the designations it was usurping when it was placed on this routing.

It was called Corporation Freeway I think and it became Peters Creek Pkwy before it was tied into the new I-40 in the 90's.

mvak36

All alternatives call for a SPUI at Briar Creek Parkway (replacing a major stoplight), but there are several ideas concerning how to handle the intersection with Alexander Drive just to the west. This project is the start of the proposed upgrade of US 70 to a freeway between I-540 and Future I-885 in Durham.

Not that it needs it, but are they planning on making this an interstate too? I only ask because it is NC.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

LM117

Quote from: mvak36 on November 08, 2018, 01:12:00 PM

Not that it needs it, but are they planning on making this an interstate too? I only ask because it is NC.

No.

kendancy66

^ I believe the section of "New 40"  from Silas Creek Pkwy to I-74/US 311 (the substandard section) is much older than 1992.  On either side of that section was 1992 vintage and is definitely at modern interstate standards.  I never rode on the old stretch prior to all of it being completed, but I'm going to assume that additional lanes were added prior to it becoming I-40.  And since 1992, the only improvement I can think of that has occurred is a second overpass at the Union Cross Rd exit and it's conversion to a DDI.

What was it designated when it opened? Was the plan always for it to be a bypass of I-40?

I lived in Winston-Salem area in 1970's and drove through that area many times.  If you were driving south on Silas Creek parkway.  After you crossed the intersection with Peters Creek Parkway, the road became Corporation Parkway, a six lane boulevard with traffic signals.  After passing the Flow Motors car dealer that was on the left the road transitioned to expressway.  There was no signed designation.  There was a traffic signal at Main Street though, so it was only a freeway from that point to the east.  This section was called Corporation Freeway, and there was a BGS that indicated this.  The freeway section went east to cross under US-52.  From that point is was US-311, which had been relocated to US-52 Freeway, and it departed from it to Corporation Freeway.  The freeway ended at NC-109, and there was a transition road that continued to the old US-311.  Later the US-311 freeway was built to High Point opened around 1990.  It was only a couple of years
that the section from NC-109 to where now US-311 departs to the south was rebuilt again to become I-40.  I have not been there in over 20 years, but I believe that Silas Creek Parkway name was extended over Corporation Parkway.  I am not sure where it ends now but the part from west of Main Street is now incorporated into part of I-40 instead, and now there is an overpass instead of a traffic signal. 

I am not sure if that section was planned to be part of I-40 bypass or not, but at least built as freeway connection  to US-52 and further east, as a bypass for US-311

mvak36

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on October 29, 2018, 05:25:32 PM

I was surprised to see this meeting announced, since the project isn't even funded in the current STIP, and isn't funded for construction in the draft STIP until 2026. Maybe it's been accelerated and hasn't made it into the documents yet? As you said, it's a conventional widening without much impact, so I can't imagine the need to have a meeting seven years before they even start acquiring additional right-of-way.

I found this article and it goes into detail about why it wasn't in the STIP.

QuoteNCDOT began planning for the widening of this 11-mile stretch of I-40 in 2012, Tarascio said. But when the state adopted a new system for determining whether a road should be built or widened, this project didn't score very well and was shelved, he said.

NCDOT engineers have since determined that the project didn't appear necessary in part because the backups around U.S. 15/501 weren't being factored in, Tarascio said. That stretch of I-40 in Durham County is in a different NCDOT division.

Now engineers have accounted for that congestion in their evaluation and expect the widening of I-40 in Orange County to qualify for funding starting next year. If that happens, NCDOT would begin acquiring right-of-way in 2021 and begin construction in 2023.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

triplemultiplex

"Corporation Freeway" sounds so dystopian.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.