News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Be Carefull When Driving In Quebec!

Started by ghYHZ, November 20, 2012, 02:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghYHZ

Brian556

Do they have immunity from lawsuits?

How could they not get these moved before even building the new alignment?
Why are there no channeling devices protecting the poles?
This has to be the most rediculous things I have ever seen.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Dr Frankenstein

Yeah, basically they didn't tell Hydro Québec in time, so when the contractor arrived, the poles were still there.

kphoger

Small orange-striped signs were the best they could manage?  Not even cones....
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

I'm surprised the contractor didn't have a "WTF?" moment and just built as if the poles weren't there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ARMOURERERIC

In the early 1980's, when Pittsburgh reconstructed 5th Avenue in Oakland,  a strike occurred that prevented the delivery of the new mast arm traffic signal poles and masts.  The city opened the road with the old yellow and black signal poles sometimes as much as 2 feet out from the curb.

Alps

Scott5114

What exactly is a hydro pole? I take it that it's some sort of utility service, like an telephone pole, but "hydro" makes me think water...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MVHighways

Quote from: Steve on November 21, 2012, 11:43:11 PM

Eh, whatever
Duh keep left, it's painted on the road. LOL.

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 22, 2012, 05:15:29 AM
What exactly is a hydro pole? I take it that it's some sort of utility service, like an telephone pole, but "hydro" makes me think water...
I was thinking water too. This is odd.

ghYHZ

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 22, 2012, 05:15:29 AM

It's the common term here for the electric power utility. The poles would be owned by "Hydro Quebec"  which generates most of its power from water turbines at Hydro Electric Projects such as James Bay. (and a lot of this powers finds it's way into the Northeast US on an interconnecting grid)

There's also Ontario Hydro/Hydro One and in British Columbia, BC Hydro.

Here you would refer to getting a "Hydro Bill" not a "Power Bill" and it's not for your municipal water consumption!

Duke87

Yup. Due to the prominence of hydroelectric generation, the electric grid in Canada is referred to as the "hyrdroelectric system":

("hydro" for short)
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Grzrd

Alps

Grzrd

Oh well ... thanks for the kindly moderator warning to read threads more closely before posting.  :thumbsup:

Sorry, NE2.

Alps

Quote from: Grzrd on November 30, 2012, 06:51:21 PM
Oh well ... thanks for the kindly moderator warning to read threads more closely before posting.  :thumbsup:

Sorry, NE2.
I wasn't sure if I was really going for that emoticon, but what the hey, emoticon.

Grzrd

NE2

Grzrd

Quote from: Steve on November 30, 2012, 06:05:06 PM
And already posted by SPUI in Reply #3 :banghead:
Quote from: NE2 on December 01, 2012, 09:35:49 AM
Nope, not the same obstruction

Incorrect moderation = Overmoderation? bugo's warnings coming to fruition?

Alps

:banghead: was appropriate, then. :P

Quote from: Grzrd on December 01, 2012, 09:54:24 AM
Quote from: Steve on November 30, 2012, 06:05:06 PM
And already posted by SPUI in Reply #3 :banghead:

Incorrect moderation = Overmoderation? bugo's warnings coming to fruition?
Please point to where there was any moderation done...

mgk920

Quote from: NE2 on November 29, 2012, 05:12:51 PM
And in Albany:

(From the car plates, I'll assume that that is Albany, NY.)
I'm kind of surprised that the city didn't build a small landscaped median there.

And - in Oconto, WI:

http://goo.gl/maps/q514M

Mike

Grzrd

Quote from: Steve on December 01, 2012, 11:46:39 AM
Please point to where there was any moderation done...

At the top of the list of the Forum Guidelines is the following:

By posting in our forum, you automatically agree to the following:
What's not allowed:
-Duplicates posts/topics. Please use the search feature before you post!

You alleged ("kindly") that I duplicated SPUI's post.  With a prohibition against duplicative posts being at the top of the list, I assumed that violation of this guideline is in some sense a violation of a Forum Prime Directive (BTW my middle name is not Tiberius and I cannot ignore the Prime Directive as I wish).  You are a moderator and you alleged a duplication.

Looks like moderation and smells like moderation...

Above said, of course I am gravitating to the absurd.  I have no problem with the moderation on this Forum, to date. [emoticon deliberately omitted]

kphoger

Quote from: mgk920 on December 01, 2012, 12:37:30 PM
http://goo.gl/maps/q514M

That sort of thing is fairly common, especially in other countries.

Michigan City, Indiana, anyone?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Grzrd on November 29, 2012, 05:26:45 PM
And in Wenling, Zhejiang, China:

Now gone, apparently.

Slate.com: China Demolishes Highway House That Became Internet Sensation

QuoteA five-story home that had been left as the only house in the middle of a highway was demolished Friday after becoming a worldwide sensation and the latest symbol of the frequent resistance by Chinese homeowners who are forced to make way for massive infrastructure projects. The house was demolished Saturday after the owners, a duck farmer and his wife, agreed to accept the $41,000 compensation, according to the Associated Press. The owner had previously said he had spent $95,000 to complete the house.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.