News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

storm2k

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 25, 2022, 09:54:06 PM
Quote from: storm2k on October 25, 2022, 07:31:33 PM
Per the article, tolls will be 2.02 for E-ZPass and 2.10 for cars at the two way tolls.

You meant the 1 way tolls.

Yep, that's what I meant. The one way tolls will be half that 1.01/1.05.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on October 26, 2022, 12:09:48 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 25, 2022, 09:54:06 PM
Quote from: storm2k on October 25, 2022, 07:31:33 PM
Per the article, tolls will be 2.02 for E-ZPass and 2.10 for cars at the two way tolls.

You meant the 1 way tolls.

Yep, that's what I meant. The one way tolls will be half that 1.01/1.05.
You have that backwards. So to clarify for the people reading: All of the one-way toll plazas will be $2.02/$2.10 because essentially the next plaza is free. The only two-way toll plaza in Toms River will be half that.

Don'tKnowYet

roadman65

Quote from: Don'tKnowYet on March 12, 2023, 09:27:03 PM
https://943thepoint.com/ixp/396/p/17-things-you-likely-dont-know-about-the-garden-state-parkway/

Very interesting article.

One interesting tid bit not covered in it was that The Parkway was built as a glare free headlight roadway.  In Union County from Clark to Union a dirt pile held together with grass was in the median before the 1980 129-140 road widening leveled it to form a fourth lane. In addition the area through Irvington and East Orange had a center guard rail that was kind off odd looking just to block out headlights from oncoming traffic. The center rail was four feet high with vertical bars connecting a lower to upper beam to achieve the headlight block.

The rest had a wide median to prevent glare as so it does today in many areas.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Ted$8roadFan

roadman65

I bet ole Jon Bon Jovi is happy that Cheesequake is his namesake. Don't know his ego, but he strikes me as the egotistical type.

Then again I don't believe in naming things after the living.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Things I didn't know:
old tree
occurrence is spelled occurance

famartin

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on March 28, 2023, 02:56:21 PM
Tom's River widening project
https://www.njta.com/gsp80to83pic

So many upside down traffic lights.  :-D

Had this area previously been widened in the lengthier widening project?

NJRoadfan

That would be a nope. The US-9 Toms River Bypass remained mostly untouched since NJDOT built it.

akotchi

Areas immediately to the north and south were part of longer (and recent) widening projects, but this section was not included in either program.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

famartin

Quote from: akotchi on March 29, 2023, 12:05:25 PM
Areas immediately to the north and south were part of longer (and recent) widening projects, but this section was not included in either program.

The lack of changing the 82/82A combination (its been removed elsewhere), plus their skipping this section previously, suggested they had a pretty decent project in the works.

roadman65

Finally 80-83 will be full interchanges plus the tight cloverleaf at 82 will be made with more radius to its ramps.

I wish they would make 82 a diamond as cloverleaf interchanges are out like 8 track tapes.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on March 29, 2023, 06:54:31 PM
Finally 80-83 will be full interchanges plus the tight cloverleaf at 82 will be made with more radius to its ramps.

I wish they would make 82 a diamond as cloverleaf interchanges are out like 8 track tapes.

You want MORE lights on 37? 😂

jeffandnicole

Except in NJ, where they are still the base model.

storm2k

Adding a traffic light to 37 there would be terrible for traffic to and from Seaside. Most states would probably build some flyovers there, but there isn't really the room for that to happen. Better radii on the cloverleaf is a decent compromise.

roadman65

If it were Florida it would be a SPUI for sure. Then again FDOT don't use jughandles so Route 37 would be a traffic nightmare even more so if Florida ran NJ roads.  The intersection nearby with Route 549 would have six phases thus creating a worst intersection scenario there being those jughandles eliminate two unneeded phases.

Me personally I would go for a flyover from SB to EB and NB to WB despite the shopping centers being scaled back which would require that space to construct.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

roadman65

Quote from: Alps on April 10, 2023, 11:29:43 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 09, 2023, 07:35:41 PM
https://www.nj.com/news/2023/04/parkway-plans-exit-improvements-including-one-used-by-many-jersey-shore-beachgoers.html

Have until April 13 to suggest ideas.
that site is paywalled
i suggest responding to the person posting this reply to your link.

You do have 7 days for free plus the point is you do have this
https://www.njta.com/media/7395/gsp-80-83-pic_transcript.pdf
Though not the same, but gives you a chance to voice opinions.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/tomsriver/parkway-would-get-new-ramps-widening-exit-80-83-under-plan
This tells you for free without paying.
April 13 deadline is written in article.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on April 11, 2023, 10:57:21 AM
Quote from: Alps on April 10, 2023, 11:29:43 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 09, 2023, 07:35:41 PM
https://www.nj.com/news/2023/04/parkway-plans-exit-improvements-including-one-used-by-many-jersey-shore-beachgoers.html

Have until April 13 to suggest ideas.
that site is paywalled
i suggest responding to the person posting this reply to your link.

You do have 7 days for free plus the point is you do have this
https://www.njta.com/media/7395/gsp-80-83-pic_transcript.pdf
Though not the same, but gives you a chance to voice opinions.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/tomsriver/parkway-would-get-new-ramps-widening-exit-80-83-under-plan
This tells you for free without paying.
April 13 deadline is written in article.
the person posting this reply can also tell you for free and take your opinions into consideration

CrystalWalrein

Exit 80 won't be a completely full interchange; they only plan to build a connection from the Parkway northbound to US 9 southbound, but not to CR 530. I'm not sure how that movement could reasonably be handled unless they build another slip road at the Birch Street overpass or another flyover to Double Trouble Road (CR 619). The latter is possible but would make for some convoluted traffic light phases as I can't see it merging directly with the existing southbound ramp.

roadman65

I've stated my concerns on that one to the public information comments.

As far as the NB Exit 80 goes look at the plans. It's going to be merging with US 9 directly on the SE quadrant.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/Wj9EvKVupaPZMCz78
I was noticing that Exit 142C is signed for Maplewood now. In the past it was Hillside- Maplewood, but now US 22 is signed for Hillside instead.

IMO it should be signed as Union Avenue- Mill Road as it's a suburban exit. Most states would use the road names in this particular application and sign Maplewood on supplementary signage.

One thing though, ironically I did find NJ signing urban and suburban freeway exits like rural area exits fascinating my entire life living in NJ from birth to 1990.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

Well heck, New York DOT would just put the road names AND the town name together on the same signs and be done with it. They wisely don't care that the MUTCD discourages that practice.

New Jersey DOT used to do it too. The original signing on I-80 in Bergen County in the 1960's had street names and town names on the same signs. Two that I remember are Green St, Teterboro, South Hackensack and Hudson St, Hackensack, Little Ferry. Don't recall how the signs there read nowadays.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.