News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-549

Started by US71, January 16, 2020, 07:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

If an Interstate 549 were truly proposed, where would one put it? I have three potential places, all overlapping existing routes. 1. Along the US 167 freeway in Alexandria. 2. A renumbering of LA-3132 in Shreveport (although maybe if that road got an Interstate designation, it would be an even-numbered X-49 3di, or an extension of existing Interstate 220). 3. A renumbering of AR/TX 151 in Texarkana. Does anyone have any thoughts about where they might put a theoretical Interstate 549?

ozarkman417

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 19, 2020, 06:29:23 PM
If an Interstate 549 were truly proposed, where would one put it? I have three potential places, all overlapping existing routes. 1. Along the US 167 freeway in Alexandria. 2. A renumbering of LA-3132 in Shreveport (although maybe if that road got an Interstate designation, it would be an even-numbered X-49 3di, or an extension of existing Interstate 220). 3. A renumbering of AR/TX 151 in Texarkana. Does anyone have any thoughts about where they might put a theoretical Interstate 549?
I-49 is one of the only "major" interstates without a three-digit interstate route. If US 412 stayed in town, the Springdale Northern Bypass would be a candidate, if it were a fully fledged freeway, and if the whole thing ever gets built.
As I-49 has no 3dis, this leaves 149 and 349 and option, and with there already being a I-540 near I-49, 149 or 349 would be the better choice if there was ever a 3di in AR, IMO.
As far as even numbers go, MO 249 would be a candidate if the interchange up by Carthage gets upgraded. 

US71

Quote from: ozarkman417 on February 19, 2020, 06:50:14 PM

I-49 is one of the only "major" interstates without a three-digit interstate route. If US 412 stayed in town, the Springdale Northern Bypass would be a candidate, if it were a fully fledged freeway, and if the whole thing ever gets built.
As I-49 has no 3dis, this leaves 149 and 349 and option, and with there already being a I-540 near I-49, 149 or 349 would be the better choice if there was ever a 3di in AR, IMO.
As far as even numbers go, MO 249 would be a candidate if the interchange up by Carthage gets upgraded. 

I've heard conflicting info on that. Some say it will eventually be 49 which would connect with current 49 somewhere north of I-44. I don't see that happening in my lifetime.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

sturmde

The stub over to US 71 in Missouri that will be left when the Bella Vista Bypass is complete could be a short I-149.
LA 3132 is right now to the west of I-49 the preferred Temporary route to reach I-49 north of I-220.  It wouldn't be terrible to call it I-249 now, which might make more sense than extending I-220 around.  It could be seen as similar to 270/255 around St. Louis.
I'd hold off on anything with AR 612.  Who knows if they'll ever do much more with that.  I guess if you want an I-odd49, that could be.  Better just to let it become US 412 someday.

US71

Quote from: sturmde on February 22, 2020, 02:42:55 PM
The stub over to US 71 in Missouri that will be left when the Bella Vista Bypass is complete could be a short I-149.

Disagree. It's not fully controlled access.

Theoretically, 71 through Bella Vista should have been controlled access, but AHTD/ARDOT let it be commercially developed.

ARDOT:: planning for yesterday next week.

sturmde

Quote from: US71 on February 22, 2020, 02:55:07 PM

Theoretically, 71 through Bella Vista should have been controlled access, but AHTD/ARDOT let it be commercially developed.

I only refer to the segment in Missouri that will be leftover that connects I-49 to US 71 (presuming US 71 in Missouri is restored to its original routing.).  Not on into Arkansas.  Agree with your sentiment about Arkansas planning though!

US71

Quote from: sturmde on February 28, 2020, 11:18:03 PM
Quote from: US71 on February 22, 2020, 02:55:07 PM

I only refer to the segment in Missouri that will be leftover that connects I-49 to US 71 (presuming US 71 in Missouri is restored to its original routing.).  Not on into Arkansas.  Agree with your sentiment about Arkansas planning though!

Are you referring to current 71 south of the (future) 49 junction? That's not controlled access. There are 2-3 side roads, plus the NB to SB U Turn.

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^
Although technically an even-prefixed 3di would be more appropriate for placing an Interstate designation on TX/AR Loop 151, I wouldn't be surprised if "I-349" were to be eventually applied there -- sort of a composite route indicating a connector between I-49 and I-369 but "honoring" both with its number. 

Anthony_JK

The Pineville Expressway is already signed as US 167 (which also follows I-49 from its terminus interchange there south to the US 71/US 167/MacArthur Drive interchange). I'm not sure that it's completely up to Interstate standards; no real need for an I-x49 shield there.

AR/TX 151 might become a even numbered I-x49 connector between I-49 and US 59/Future I-369, but more than likely it will stay a state route.

I don't see the Springdale Bypass, when completed, as anything other than US 412.

dariusb

Quote from: Anthony_JK on February 29, 2020, 09:22:04 AM

The Pineville Expressway is already signed as US 167 (which also follows I-49 from its terminus interchange there south to the US 71/US 167/MacArthur Drive interchange). I'm not sure that it's completely up to Interstate standards; no real need for an I-x49 shield there.

AR/TX 151 might become a even numbered I-x49 connector between I-49 and US 59/Future I-369, but more than likely it will stay a state route.

I don't see the Springdale Bypass, when completed, as anything other than US 412.

I can see that.
It's a new day for a new beginning.

bugo

The Springdale bypass doesn't need to be an interstate.

I have proposed in the past that the Fulbright Expressway in Fayetteville could be an I-149. It is currently designated as US 71B, which is dumb because US 71B has an interchange with itself.

US71

Quote from: bugo on March 01, 2020, 05:36:20 AM
The Springdale bypass doesn't need to be an interstate.

I have proposed in the past that the Fulbright Expressway in Fayetteville could be an I-149. It is currently designated as US 71B, which is dumb because US 71B has an interchange with itself.

I'm not sure what ARDOT calls that. It was Spur 471 (unposted) at one point. It's likely a "spur" of some kind since NB it's 71B, SB it's to I-49.  But that will change in a few years once 71B is turned over to the cities.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.