News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New freeway proposed for northeast Denton

Started by thisdj78, March 17, 2020, 01:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thisdj78

BrandonC_TX

I'm assuming that the conversion of FM 428 into a freeway would connect eastwards over to the Collin County Outer Loop. 

I knew TxDOT had been planning for the Outer Loop to intersect I-35 at Milam Road north of Denton, but with a planned five-level stack interchange at Loop 288 and I-35 it makes more sense financially to tie in the Outer Loop there I would think.  Before anything is done to FM 428, I think efforts should be concentrated on making US-380 a freeway first.

Road Hog

Quote from: BrandonC_TX on March 17, 2020, 05:20:00 AM
I'm assuming that the conversion of FM 428 into a freeway would connect eastwards over to the Collin County Outer Loop. 

I knew TxDOT had been planning for the Outer Loop to intersect I-35 at Milam Road north of Denton, but with a planned five-level stack interchange at Loop 288 and I-35 it makes more sense financially to tie in the Outer Loop there I would think.  Before anything is done to FM 428, I think efforts should be concentrated on making US-380 a freeway first.

Impossible at this stage. Too much development encroaching on 380 to make it a full freeway.

Another benefit to following the 428 route is it can take the same path across the East Fork and reduce the wetlands impact.

BrandonC_TX

Quote from: Road Hog on March 17, 2020, 06:45:37 AM

Impossible at this stage. Too much development encroaching on 380 to make it a full freeway.

If TxDOT gets their way, I do expect US-380 will get a freeway upgrade, even if it is narrow in places.  And yes, they will have to take a lot of property for the 380 project.

Chris

Well, they managed to build the Dallas North Tollway on a very narrow right of way.

Another option is to build an elevated highway on top of US 380, with frontage roads below instead of adjacent to the freeway.

thisdj78

Quote from: Chris on March 17, 2020, 11:49:56 AM
Well, they managed to build the Dallas North Tollway on a very narrow right of way.

Another option is to build an elevated highway on top of US 380, with frontage roads below instead of adjacent to the freeway.

I think I read that there is a proposed 380 "bypass" that would go to the north of the current alignment, starting at Elm Fork Trinity and running to 288. If that's the case, there wouldn't be a need to mess with the existing ROW.

MaxConcrete

This map shows the alignment

https://wpm2.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=6b9998a363604f8c81c703b906ae06cd

Interesting observations

• The so-called Ganzer Road Freeway would be in addition to the SH 380 Freeway and the Denton County Outer Loop, parallel to both and about halfway between
  • The Ganzer Road Freeway would not extend west of FM 428. West of FM 428 it is shown as an arterial street
  • In the east direction, the news article states that the Ganzer freeway is proposed to connect to Highway 377. On this map it stops on the east side of the bottomlands since that appears to be the edge of Denton City jurisdiction
  • The US 380 freeway east of Denton is shown merging into Loop 288 with a short connector
  • Like the proposed Ganzer Freeway, the US 380 freeway east of Denton is shown only to the Denton jurisdiction limit. It is unclear if it is planned to extend all the way to the planned US 380 Freeway in Collin County, which is a priority project and has a high probably of being built
  • The proposed western Loop 288 is shown on the map. The alignment looks good. TxDOT recently held a public meeting for that project (frontage roads initially)
  • US 380 is shown as a freeway west of the proposed west Loop 288

All of this would be wonderful if it actually happens. I noticed that all the public meetings are cancelled due to corona virus. But there is certain to be some opposition.

Due to the massive funding needed for this plan, it would be a best-case scenario for all projects to actually be realized. I'm thinking the Ganzer Freeway is probably the most likely to be at risk for not being realized, followed by the US 380 West Freeway.

www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

BrandonC_TX

Quote from: MaxConcrete on March 17, 2020, 08:37:39 PM
Due to the massive funding needed for this plan, it would be a best-case scenario for all projects to actually be realized. I'm thinking the Ganzer Freeway is probably the most likely to be at risk for not being realized, followed by the US 380 West Freeway.

I don't think the Ganzer Extension Freeway would happen in my opinion.  And I'm somewhat skeptical of the Outer Loop alignment along Milam Road as well should FM-428 become a freeway, as the Outer Loop could then just follow 428 to Loop 288, and then Loop 288 to US 380 west of Denton (as I mentioned, a five-level stack is already proposed at I-35 and Loop 288).  Building two large interchanges and two separate alignments (including what would become a full five-level stack at 35/288 and a half four-level stack at 35/Milam) would cost a lot more. And if the Outer Loop is eventually extended around the west side of the DFW area (some plans show it going near Aledo, for instance), using the existing US 380 alignment over towards Decatur makes more sense anyways.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.