News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Railroad truss bridge just east of US 75 on the north side of Dallas

Started by bugo, July 28, 2012, 09:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I was driving along US 75 towards downtown Dallas a couple of years back and took an exit to get something to drink.  I turned left off of SB 75 and saw a railroad truss bridge just east of the freeway.  Does anyone in the area know where this bridge is?  I don't remember which exit it was.

MaxConcrete

I can't think of any truss bridges near US 75 North.

It would help if you could be more specific about the location. Was it in Dallas, south of IH 635 LBJ Freeway? Was it in the north suburbs - Richardson, Plano, Allen? Was it in the distant suburbs like McKinney? How far from the freeway?

The railroad closest to the freeway was the old Houston & Texas Central, and it was converted into the DART Red Line light rail. All the bridges on the route are modern (no trusses). There could possibly be an old truss bridge north of Plano on that railroad alignment.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

txstateends

There actually is one that was kept.  It spans White Rock Creek just northeast of the US 75/Royal Lane exit.  It now makes up the northbound track of the Red Line for DART's light rail.

Aerial:  http://goo.gl/maps/tyBvq

Street level: http://goo.gl/maps/tyBvq  http://goo.gl/maps/01MPI
(the angle is actually east of the track, on a side street called Vanguard Way--no clear GSV angle from US 75, but the back of the Conn's store at 75/Royal can be seen in the distance)

EDIT:::: oops, didn't realize I'd used the same linkie for both the aerial and street view.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Road Hog

Is this it? I found a pretty cool photo of a bridge with the skyline behind it.

txstateends

Quote from: Road Hog on July 29, 2012, 02:07:48 PM
Is this it? I found a pretty cool photo of a bridge with the skyline behind it.

Yes, cool pic, but no.  That's west of downtown along the UP/Amtrak line over the Trinity River north of I-30.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

bugo

Quote from: MaxConcrete on July 29, 2012, 12:58:00 PM
I can't think of any truss bridges near US 75 North.

It would help if you could be more specific about the location. Was it in Dallas, south of IH 635 LBJ Freeway? Was it in the north suburbs - Richardson, Plano, Allen? Was it in the distant suburbs like McKinney? How far from the freeway?

The railroad closest to the freeway was the old Houston & Texas Central, and it was converted into the DART Red Line light rail. All the bridges on the route are modern (no trusses). There could possibly be an old truss bridge north of Plano on that railroad alignment.

I honestly don't remember.  I think it was south of TX 121. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.