News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Was I-564 originally VA 170?

Started by roadman65, April 21, 2011, 07:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

In Norfolk I-564 links I-64 to the Naval Base as that is one of our defenses important bases in the country.  If memory serves me correct, before I-64 was built I distinclty remember that VA 170 continued west of US 460 at the time and led into the Navy Base.  I know for sure that I-564 was two lanes originally and saw it widened.

I cannot remember for sure if it was sigend then as VA 170, yet google maps show I-564 as Admiral Taussig Boulevard.   That is not a freeway name as we all know, but it would make sense if VA 170 was the road into the Base.  Obvoiusy Adm. Taussig Boulevard was the old two lane roadway's local name then and is still used or Google does not have its facts straight!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

It's still Taussig Blvd. I don't see the name signed from I-64 on my page, but my page only has a couple of signs related to 564.

deathtopumpkins

Local insight:

Taussig Blvd is only currently applied to the short frontage road east of US 460 along I-64 (which is a continuation of the 564 eastbound offramp, and is mentioned on the already-linked-to VHP page), and I can't recall offhand if it is signed along the connecting road between I-564 and VA 337. This would logically make sense.

However, the name is rarely used locally, at least that I hear. I wasn't around back before I-564 though.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Mapmikey

It is marked on both ends but there is no clear view on Streetview...

Mapmikey

froggie

Yes, it's signed on the signal poles along the VA 337 part, both coming out of the Navy Exchange/Commissary/Medical area and at Hampton Blvd.  At least, it was a few years ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.