News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: kkt on October 08, 2021, 08:40:56 PM
It's good to know if you drive out to the middle of nowhere.

But I will note that althought I do know how to change a tire, it's only come up once in 41 years of driving.

It's come up a few times for me in the 16 years I've been driving, but that's mostly because I've done a good chunk of my driving late at night when tire shops aren't open. Once I get it home, may as well put the donut on before taking it to the tire place.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

dlsterner

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 04, 2021, 05:18:08 PM
I find it weird that I've been driving a car for over a year, but I've never been taught how to change a tire.

But I will note that althought I do know how to change a tire, it's only come up once in 41 years of driving.

Been driving for 48 years, think I've had to change a tire three times in that time span.  That said, I'm glad that I learned how to, as I preferred it to the alternative - waiting at the side of the road for help.

The first time, my car was old enough to still have a full size spare.  The other two times the car had a micro-spare that was just to get you to a repair shop.

IMHO this is something that should be taught in Driver's Ed class.  It was not part of my course in the mid-70s - my Dad taught me how to change a tire.  If I recall, my Mom said that her Driver's Ed class in the 1950's did include physically changing a tire.  Along with other skills lost to the times - like hand signals for turns.  Or driving without the aid of power steering, which was an option in those days.

formulanone

There's a brand of electrical food service products called Zojirushi. It means "elephant" in Japanese, and the logo of an elephant appears on some of their products. I've seen it in various places over the past few decades.

But today I stopped for coffee at a hot pot station, and discovered there's another company out there which apparently sells some similar products, but named Shurizjo. That is a very close anagram of the beforementioned brand, and their logo...is a mouse. 

kurumi

Quote from: formulanone on October 14, 2021, 06:35:19 PM
There's a brand of electrical food service products called Zojirushi. It means "elephant" in Japanese, and the logo of an elephant appears on some of their products. I've seen it in various places over the past few decades.

But today I stopped for coffee at a hot pot station, and discovered there's another company out there which apparently sells some similar products, but named Shurizjo. That is a very close anagram of the beforementioned brand, and their logo...is a mouse. 

That is weird. Shurizjo is a product of Newco in Missouri. It definitely seems intended to resemble the Japanese company.

Another fun fact: Zoujirushi's full name is 象印マホービン株式会社, which means Zoujirushi Vacuum Flask (e.g. Thermos Bottle), Inc. The characters for マホービン (Vacuum Flask) are 魔法瓶, which means "magic bottle" (or even "witchcraft bottle"). Imagine bringing a Thermos into a church and it starts glowing red hot :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

SSOWorld

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 27, 2021, 10:04:00 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on September 27, 2021, 09:37:24 PM
Quote from: renegade on September 27, 2021, 05:21:42 PM
Quote from: snowc on September 27, 2021, 04:31:17 PM
Quote from: 1 on September 27, 2021, 03:43:59 PM
How did snowc become a moderator?
not a mod, just trying to keep it cool.
I once got thoroughly bitched-out by the mods for using purple font.  You might want to rethink what's cool.
How about every color except purple?

Quote from: Alex on May 21, 2009, 10:34:10 PM
By posting in our forum, you automatically agree to the following:

What's not allowed:
Excessive use of formatting. Use formatting sparingly. When formatting is used, it should be done for a reason, not simply to make your posts stand out. (As an example, posting a list of Interstates you traveled on with the ones you clinched marked in green is acceptable, but coloring your entire post teal just because you like the way it looks is not.)
valid here, random thought ;)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

formulanone

Quote from: kurumi on October 15, 2021, 12:50:04 AM
Quote from: formulanone on October 14, 2021, 06:35:19 PM

That is weird. Shurizjo is a product of Newco in Missouri. It definitely seems intended to resemble the Japanese company.

Another fun fact: Zoujirushi's full name is 象印マホービン株式会社, which means Zoujirushi Vacuum Flask (e.g. Thermos Bottle), Inc. The characters for マホービン (Vacuum Flask) are 魔法瓶, which means "magic bottle" (or even "witchcraft bottle"). Imagine bringing a Thermos into a church and it starts glowing red hot :-)

I always thought it was funny that the kanji for "magic" and "devil" used the radical for "hemp".

CoreySamson

It seems FritzOwl puts a lot more emphasis on E-W interstates than on N-S ones (excluding the ones on the coasts of the US). He's poached my E-W ideas from my fictional highways thread, but hasn't bothered at all with my N-S ones so far.

I should note that I'm not annoyed by this, and nor do I really care; it gives my plans more publicity! Just an observation.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

noelbotevera

Quote from: dlsterner on October 08, 2021, 09:03:08 PM
Or driving without the aid of power steering, which was an option in those days.
Aw man, I remember making this mistake - I drove my family's newer Nissan, and shifted the car into drive without turning on the engine. While I was in a parking lot.

I started creeping out of my space and towards another car; I tried steering the wheel but found it incredibly hard to turn until I realized I didn't have power steering. Had to turn on the engine, quickly brake and shift into reverse. That was definitely an "oh shit" moment even though the collision speed would've been negligible.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

hotdogPi

Crash_It and dzlsabe are both from the Chicago area. They both fixate on one thing. I don't actually believe they're the same person, but still...
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

renegade

Must be something in the water.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

dlsterner

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 20, 2021, 08:01:28 PM
Quote from: dlsterner on October 08, 2021, 09:03:08 PM
Or driving without the aid of power steering, which was an option in those days.
Aw man, I remember making this mistake - I drove my family's newer Nissan, and shifted the car into drive without turning on the engine. While I was in a parking lot.

I started creeping out of my space and towards another car; I tried steering the wheel but found it incredibly hard to turn until I realized I didn't have power steering. Had to turn on the engine, quickly brake and shift into reverse. That was definitely an "oh shit" moment even though the collision speed would've been negligible.
Bet that was a surprise!

In the time frame I was referring to (mid 1970s) you could buy a car without power steering (or without power brakes for that matter).  When I took Driver's Ed in 10th grade, we had a fleet of about 8-10 cars.  One of them did not have power steering (might have been a Dodge Dart), which we nicknamed "The Tank".  During class, the cars were set up at different stations on the course, you lined up for the ones you wanted, trying to get as much done as you could.  I actually didn't mind "The Tank" that much.  I sometimes would get in its line since it was always shorter than the others!

Flint1979

Quote from: renegade on October 20, 2021, 08:55:24 PM
Must be something in the water.
That's what they used to say about St. Charles, Michigan; it's in the water.

LilianaUwU

Ever considered how Tetris Attack isn't even a Tetris game?
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

SkyPesos

85 mph may be too high for I-366 (VA 28), but would a speed limit of 85 km/h make sense?

Flint1979

Rocking on a Saturday morning. This is Laskos Restaurant in Midland, Michigan.

hotdogPi

Don't know where to put this other than starting a new thread:

Inflation is almost 6% yearly, and it's been less than a year. 6% × (8 months / 1 year) = 4%. (With percentages under 10%, differences between linear and exponential are insignificant.) However, most restaurants have increased their prices, and those increases are more than 4%. (Most restaurant price increases throughout the years are more than 4%; they're just not normally as frequent.) Are restaurant and/or food prices increasing more than other items, do I have a misunderstanding of the inflation rate, or it is confirmation bias?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

tolbs17

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 23, 2021, 09:44:36 AM
Let me ask, are you a great cook?

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: tolbs17 on October 23, 2021, 10:02:23 AM

at this point i don't care. that grill looks breakfasty and just downright sexy. lets eat.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Flint1979

Quote from: tolbs17 on October 23, 2021, 10:02:23 AM
Yeah I can throw down on the grill.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on October 23, 2021, 09:51:40 AM
Don't know where to put this other than starting a new thread:

Inflation is almost 6% yearly, and it's been less than a year. 6% × (8 months / 1 year) = 4%. (With percentages under 10%, differences between linear and exponential are insignificant.) However, most restaurants have increased their prices, and those increases are more than 4%. (Most restaurant price increases throughout the years are more than 4%; they're just not normally as frequent.) Are restaurant and/or food prices increasing more than other items, do I have a misunderstanding of the inflation rate, or it is confirmation bias?

In addition to the possibility you state of food cost increasing over and above the general inflation rate (I am not sure whether this is true or not), restaurants also have to contend with rising labor cost. While this is true in all industries, it's hitting food-service harder because pay rates have always been lower compared to other industries. And, of course, in the case of individual restaurants, there may be a reluctance to raising prices that led to a pent-up need for a price increase dating from before the pandemic.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Flint1979

A little tour of Saginaw, Michigan. From what I saw everything is on the east side of the river and I see these places just about every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZmxijewQr0

dlsterner

Why is there a "Stairway to Heaven" but a "Highway to Hell"?  Projected traffic counts?

kenarmy

Quote from: dlsterner on October 23, 2021, 03:37:08 PM
Why is there a "Stairway to Heaven" but a "Highway to Hell"?  Projected traffic counts?
omg you won.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 23, 2021, 12:31:21 AM
85 mph may be too high for I-366 (VA 28), but would a speed limit of 85 km/h make sense?

85 km/h would be weird, normally km/h speed limits are multiples of 10.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

wanderer2575

Even for those of us who know how to jack up a car and change a tire, how many of us regularly check the donut spare to be sure it's inflated and usable?  I don't.  I'll probably be screwed if I ever have to use it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.