News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: dlsterner on October 23, 2021, 03:37:08 PM
Why is there a "Stairway to Heaven" but a "Highway to Hell"?  Projected traffic counts?

...climbing is more difficult and signage in the field negates existence.

webny99

Most of Canada's population lives near the US border, but most of the US population does not live near the Canadian border.

1995hoo

This was posted on another forum and I have nowhere else to put it here, so this thread will do. Enjoy.

https://twitter.com/Nuevocentos/status/1452618320843141120
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jmacswimmer

^
Imagine that driver trying to squeeze a box truck under the 11' 8(+8)" bridge in Durham...  :popcorn:
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

abefroman329

I saw that video last night. It's amazing how people think they can dig their way out of a hole.

hotdogPi

How exactly is Native American defined? Lawrence, MA is mostly Hispanic, with the second largest group being Puerto Rican (Dominican is first). They don't count as Native American, even though those from Alaska and Hawaii do.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

renegade

- "ask me anything about (insert place name here) is going to get old really quick.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

SkyPesos

They seem to be doing hot atm

and yes, I did intentionally make this post to break the chain.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on October 28, 2021, 08:15:35 AM
How exactly is Native American defined? Lawrence, MA is mostly Hispanic, with the second largest group being Puerto Rican (Dominican is first). They don't count as Native American, even though those from Alaska and Hawaii do.

The answer is actually really complicated and kind of fucked up. But, it's America, were you expecting the answer to be anything else?

To be considered a Native American, one must first belong to a federally-recognized tribe. Federally-recognized tribes are considered sovereign nations that are allowed to form their own government. There are, as you can imagine, some tribes that have never been federally recognized, because they're too small or considered by the government to be part of some other tribe, and this causes no end of problems for members of those tribes. Each tribe determines their own criteria for who is considered to be part of the tribe, in much the same way that countries set their own citizenship laws. (There was a pretty high-profile decision recently where the Cherokee changed their laws to allow descendants of slaves held by the tribe before the Civil War to become tribal members, where they hadn't been eligible before.) Tribes will issue their members a tribal membership card, which, for many tribes, comes in a format very similar to a driver's license and can be used in place of one when dealing with governments, although private businesses can decide whether to accept them as ID or not.

In addition to being identified as a tribal member, a Native American will also be issued a Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood (CDIB). Whereas the tribal membership card tracks tribal membership, the CDIB tracks tribal ancestry. The CDIB identifies which tribe the bearer has ancestry from (note that this is tribe, singular, so if you're a quarter Chickasaw and a quarter Choctaw, like a lot of people are, you have to pick which one you like better) and your blood quantum (percentage of tribal blood). To get a CDIB, you have to submit your entire genealogy, tracing your ancestry back to someone that was on a federally-assembled list of known tribal members in the 19th century, chiefly the Dawes Rolls. If your ancestors ducked the Dawes Commission–let's be honest, who wants their name on a government watch list, especially when the government has a history of trying to kill you–then you're basically SOL. Many tribes require a CDIB identifying a minimum blood quantum with their tribe as a prerequisite for joining, so you hardly ever see anyone with dual tribal citizenship, despite the fact that many tribes commingled quite a bit in the past.

Basically any sort of program intended for Native Americans only will require a copy of your tribal membership card and CDIB. Hispanic and Puerto Rican do not count as Native American because they don't derive ancestry from a federally-recognized tribe (Mexica/Aztec/Maya are not federally recognized tribes since they weren't in the bounds of the United States, nor do they have an active tribal government to be recognized, after the Spaniards murdered their leaders), nor appear on the Dawes Rolls. That being said, since the Census  is anonymized and does not require proof of tribal membership or ancestry, individuals are free to self-report as whatever race they like on there, so one can claim to be Native American even if they have no documentation that would make them eligible for tribal programs.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tolbs17

I'm interested how there's a ton of "Ask me anything" threads.

First there was Russia. Then New York. Now there's over 10.

All that interests me and is my random thought of irony.

hotdogPi

103 Dalmatians: New Congress (1/03)
104 Dalmations: Playing cards; crossover with Alice in Wonderland
105 Dalmatians: Weed, but only one quarter of it
106 Dalmatians: Sequel to 103 Dalmatians; now there's an insurrection.
107 Dalmatians: With nothing to go by, it's just a generic sequel.
108 Dalmatians: Crossover with Lost
109 Dalmatians: Crossover with And I Must Scream
110 Dalmatians: Based on cellular automata
111 Dalmatians: Computer-based (as in binary)
112 Dalmatians: Takes place in Medieval England, where hundredweights (=112 pounds) were used
113 Dalmatians: Another generic sequel. At this point, it's established that those one less than a multiple of 6 will be generic.
114 Dalmatians: Ketchup vs. mustard, with plenty of Heinz product placement.
115 Dalmatians: At an auction. (Auction fees are traditionally 15%.)
116 Dalmatians: A prequel to 112 Dalmatians; now they're in the Hundred Years' War.
117 Dalmatians: A movie where COVID-19 (specifically, variant B117) is present.
118 Dalmatians: Like Avatar: The Last Airbender, except using the actual periodic table
119 Dalmatians: The next generic sequel, being 6 more than 113.
120 Dalmatians: The movie lasts two hours. The countdown is in real time.
121 Dalmatians: It's a 2D world, and everything is in squares.
122 Dalmatians: Crossover with Sharknado; the number comes from the number of NWS offices.
123 Dalmatians: Count von Count appears.
124 Dalmatians: The producers couldn't pass up a perfect cube, so the generic sequel gets pushed from 125 to 124.
125 Dalmatians: A sequel to 121 Dalmatians; now the squares have become cubes. It's a 3D movie.
126 Dalmatians: Crossover with Five Nights at Freddys; the number comes from having to survive from 12 AM to 6 ΑΜ.
127 Dalmatians: "This is the last sequel. We promise."
-128 Dalmatians: Oops.

Max Rockatansky

No 101 Dalmatians versus Kujo?  What about a 101 Dalmatians-Pet Sematary crossover?

Flint1979

Quote from: renegade on October 28, 2021, 12:02:26 PM
- "ask me anything about (insert place name here) is going to get old really quick.
I asked one question and don't plan on asking anymore.

renegade

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 30, 2021, 08:56:26 AM
Quote from: renegade on October 28, 2021, 12:02:26 PM
I asked one question and don't plan on asking anymore.
Same here.  :awesomeface:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 27, 2021, 08:25:23 AM
This was posted on another forum and I have nowhere else to put it here, so this thread will do. Enjoy.

USE THE WINDSHIELD WIPERS DUDE!

Flint1979

It's the same travel time from the Mackinac Bridge to Lima, Ohio as it is from the Mackinac Bridge to Copper Harbor.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

^ it seems to enjoy that short ledge. (Dare I say, channeling its inner goat?)

hotdogPi

Probably impossible with the current forum software, but there should be a checkbox labeled "Anyone can delete this post". I would use it when I point out someone's broken image/quote/BBCode or someone plays an invalid photo in one of the photo game threads; they can quickly fix it and then delete my post as if the broken post never happened.

SkyPesos

Quote from: 1 on November 02, 2021, 05:13:30 PM
Probably impossible with the current forum software, but there should be a checkbox labeled "Anyone can delete this post". I would use it when I point out someone's broken image/quote/BBCode or someone plays an invalid photo in one of the photo game threads; they can quickly fix it and then delete my post as if the broken post never happened.
That's easily abusable.

hotdogPi

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 02, 2021, 05:51:21 PM
That's easily abusable.

That's why it would be a checkbox that would only be enabled if you wanted it to be.

Scott5114

Quote from: SkyPesos on November 02, 2021, 05:51:21 PM
That's easily abusable.

Would you believe that on Wikipedia, discussions are held on a wiki page where anything can be edited, deleted, or whatever at will by anyone? And that they like it that way so much that when the Foundation tried to change it to something similar to a forum, they fought it tooth and nail? Of course, it only works because not only can anyone delete or change a post, but there's a record of them doing that, and anyone else can revert it to how it was before.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kkt

Quote from: dlsterner on October 23, 2021, 03:37:08 PM
Why is there a "Stairway to Heaven" but a "Highway to Hell"?  Projected traffic counts?

:clap:

kkt

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 27, 2021, 08:25:23 AM

:banghead:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.