News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 31, 2019, 09:16:57 AM
Very cold but sunny

Can't even be bothered to give us a number anymore? Useless post becomes even more useless. :rolleyes:

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 31, 2019, 09:20:35 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 31, 2019, 09:16:57 AM
Very cold but sunny

Can't even be bothered to give us a number anymore? Useless post becomes even more useless. :rolleyes:
5 degrees, balmy for where you live.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ET21

Greetings from Chiberia! Lost power a couple times but survived so far. We begin the slow climb of temps, -21 this morning. By Super Bowl Sunday we could be near 50 degrees, nearly 70-80 degrees warmer than this morning
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Hurricane Rex

Just checked the models for my area (Oregon Willamette Valley), and it sounds like we are on board for a snow event of a trace to 2 inches. I know its nothing but its our first snow of the season.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rothman

Thermometer said -10 this morning.  Forecast when I went to bed said it was only going to get down to -2.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

Roadgeekteen

hotdogPi

57° on Tuesday. It could be a record high (which is currently 59°) if the forecast is slightly off.
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

Buck87

54 and sunny.

This is day 2 of the big meltdown, and it's going to be in the 50's again tomorrow, so we should finally get rid of the remaining snow piles from the storm we had back on Jan 19. This is the 3rd time it's been above freezing since that snow fell, but the first 2 times it got really cold a day later and turned everything to ice (with a few inch or less snows thrown in on top of it as well)

Bruce

Eth

Partly cloudy and 63; surely they'll have the roof open for the Super Bowl, I'd imagine. And this is forecast to be the coolest day of the week, with 70s on the way.

US 89

Quote from: Eth on February 03, 2019, 04:13:39 PM
Partly cloudy and 63; surely they'll have the roof open for the Super Bowl, I'd imagine. And this is forecast to be the coolest day of the week, with 70s on the way.

Yesterday was amazing: 65 to 70 degrees, and sunny the whole time. Unfortunately, it looks like the warm weather this week is coming with quite a bit of clouds and rain. As if we need more.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Bruce on February 03, 2019, 02:43:36 PM
Finally, a snowy winter day!

Hoping to get some down here as well. I'm thinking something, but less than an inch.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Roadgeekteen

42 and sunny. Supposed to approach 60 tomorrow.

jakeroot

Seattle is absolutely falling apart. They were predicting a few inches at most, even in the snowiest places. Places up north and in the Cascade Foothills ended up with 7-10+ inches.

I woke up at 0700 with about 2.5", but I'm up to about 4" now, maybe more. Most schools cancelled. UW-Tacoma was open until an hour ago, before they came to their senses and realized that it's a commuter campus.

Temperature at 0900 is 24F, which is very low for us at this time of day. Will not get above freezing anywhere in the Seattle metro today. Places like Vancouver (BC) are just frozen solid.

https://twitter.com/ScottSKOMO/status/1092454502098063360

abefroman329

Hovering around 50, so happy to watch all this snow melt.  Hopefully by the next time it gets below freezing, the roads will have dried out.

I remember watching videos of vehicles sliding down Seattle-area hills that were shared on The Stranger's blog, they sure were entertaining to watch.

MNHighwayMan

I'd mock Seattle for not having their shit together, but then again that amount of snow really sucks when it's hilly. Not being prepared for it only makes that worse.

Here, on the other hand, most of the snow has melted. Once the polar vortex receded the temperatures soared into the 40s, and now it's practically all gone. All that's left in my yard are the mountains from shoveling and the windrow from plowing along the street.

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 04, 2019, 12:38:05 PM
I'd mock Seattle for not having their shit together, but then again that amount of snow really sucks when it's hilly. Not being prepared for it only makes that worse.

The Washington State Patrol informed us this morning that we were, in fact, not prepared for this storm. Well, no shit! We never get any practice. Never mind the hills. It's just almost impossible in some places, even for those with the right vehicle, and the right skills. Funny thing is, I'm sure there were more than a few crashes caused by people out trying to learn how to drive in the snow. I feel bad for them, but at least they're out there trying to conquer the dreaded white bastard.

It's now just after 1300 PST, and the temperature is still 24F. Which is just really, really unusual. It's not midwest cold, but for us to be below freezing all day is just not normal at all. Tonight should be down into the low teens. Tomorrow morning's roads might be worse than today.

abefroman329

Quote from: jakeroot on February 04, 2019, 04:07:07 PM

The Washington State Patrol informed us this morning that we were, in fact, not prepared for this storm. Well, no shit! We never get any practice. Never mind the hills. It's just almost impossible in some places, even for those with the right vehicle, and the right skills. Funny thing is, I'm sure there were more than a few crashes caused by people out trying to learn how to drive in the snow. I feel bad for them, but at least they're out there trying to conquer the dreaded white bastard.

It's now just after 1300 PST, and the temperature is still 24F. Which is just really, really unusual. It's not midwest cold, but for us to be below freezing all day is just not normal at all. Tonight should be down into the low teens. Tomorrow morning's roads might be worse than today.
I was under the impression that weather like this was an annual thing, maybe once per year.

jakeroot

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 04, 2019, 04:51:23 PM
I was under the impression that weather like this was an annual thing, maybe once per year.

Which aspect of the weather? The snow or the cold? I would say there's at least one day of snow per year in Seattle that cancels most schools, and leaves the freeways empty.

The whole "not getting above freezing" thing is definitely not a yearly occurrence, at least as far as I can recall. Winter low temps in Seattle get below freezing all the time, but high temps are always at least low-to-mid 30s. What's a bit more common is sub-freezing high temps in the northern counties.

abefroman329

The snow. I feel like there are videos of vehicles sliding down snow- and/or ice-covered hills every year.

gonealookin

A crazy day around here with a couple feet of snow at lake level at Lake Tahoe and more over the mountain passes.  It looks like I-80 will be completely closed over the Sierra for as much as 24 hours.  US 50 gets closures of several hours for avalanche control, and CA 88 can get avalanche closures lasting a couple days, so there's no practical route between Tahoe and the Sacramento Valley.  I guess if somebody were willing to endure a slow slog, US 395 north from Reno to CA 70 at Hallelujah Junction, and then CA 70 through Quincy and the Feather River Canyon over to Oroville would get you there at a cost of many extra hours.

jakeroot

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 04, 2019, 06:33:08 PM
The snow. I feel like there are videos of vehicles sliding down snow- and/or ice-covered hills every year.

Maybe every other year. It does happen, yes.

Bruce

Here, on the other hand, most of the snow has melted. Once the polar vortex receded the temperatures soared into the 40s, and now it's practically all gone. All that's left in my yard are the mountains from shoveling and the windrow from plowing along the street.

The mixture of fast-settling ice, the hills/terrain, and swings in temperature all contribute to some very difficult snow days. There's some major arterial streets that swing down 8% grades and have to be closed to traffic (but that doesn't stop idiots from trying).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.