News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

tolbs17

hotdogPi

While I was working at Stop & Shop, register 1 (which is self scan) automatically rebooted with an error message due to lightning.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Mark68

80ish and cloudy with strong storms on their way.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Roadgeekteen

will get into the 90s with clouds

US 89

Here in Atlanta, the forecast for the past 5 days has been "chance of thunderstorms, some potentially strong or severe". However, this has not delivered and it's just hot and muggy, with highs in the low 90s and dewpoints around 70.

Mark68

The strong storms we were expecting did come and became severe with some flash flooding...at least over central Denver and Aurora. Down south, in Parker, we got some rain and lots of thunder and lightning, but that was about it.

Took the train home from work, and got hailed on downtown, then by the time I got to my truck, it was dry with a dry commute until right after I got home.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

ipeters61

Quote from: US 89 on August 22, 2019, 11:37:08 AM
Here in Atlanta, the forecast for the past 5 days has been "chance of thunderstorms, some potentially strong or severe". However, this has not delivered and it's just hot and muggy, with highs in the low 90s and dewpoints around 70.
Similar here in Dover, but last night we did see some storms (with flashes of lightning lighting up my whole apartment for an hour or two late at night).  Looks like we have some dark clouds rolling in now, with temperatures dropping into the high 70s! :biggrin:
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

jeffandnicole

Yay...the forecasters got it right!  (because they only said 'a chance of'...so no matter what happened, they were correct!)

Gotta love a job where they can f it up every day and still have everyone follow their every word.

Roadgeekteen

ET21

You could not ask for a more spectacular day. Mid 70s for highs under unlimited sunshine
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 23, 2019, 09:21:04 AM
Yay...the forecasters got it right!  (because they only said 'a chance of'...so no matter what happened, they were correct!)

Gotta love a job where they can f it up every day and still have everyone follow their every word.

Weather prediction is largely an educated estimation of probabilities. I'm glad you understand that. :rolleyes:

Rothman

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 24, 2019, 12:11:52 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 23, 2019, 09:21:04 AM

Weather prediction is largely an educated estimation of probabilities. I'm glad you understand that. :rolleyes:

I've always found this defense of meteorologists to be pretty weak.  The fact of the matter is that they forecast the weather and rest upon their best guess given their modeling.  That goes for any science that rests upon multivariate regression analysis, actually.  Doesn't change the fact that meteorologists' best guesses are still wrong an unacceptable amount of the time; in other sciences, we'd blame incomplete variables or bad data.

And. as I just found out in Newfoundland this past week, they didn't get it right once even within half a day up there, if not within an hour :D.  Also found it interesting that the weather radar from the Weather Channel was actually incorrect in real time up there, too (e.g., showing it wasn't raining where I was when it definitely was and would be continuing to do so for a while -- forecasts were for no precip, I assume based partially on what the radar showed).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

80% chances happen 80% of the time. You should expect them to be wrong some of the time. If "80%" is only 60% in reality (over a long period of time), they're definitely doing something wrong, but I don't think this is happening.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Rothman on August 24, 2019, 07:03:39 AM
Doesn't change the fact that meteorologists' best guesses are still wrong an unacceptable amount of the time

The thing is, I don't believe this is true. I have yet to see evidence in support of this idea.

Edit: And I'm not going to. What counts as "unacceptably" wrong is going to be up to the individual. And as I've seen in this sub-forum, what counts as unacceptably wrong for some people is an unrealistically high bar for accuracy.

tolbs17

70 degrees and cloudy. going to rain late on

Roadgeekteen

1995hoo

Glorious morning. After temperatures in the 90s all week, it was 63° when I got up this morning and it's still only 75° at 11:13. I set the AC to a higher temperature so it won't run and opened up some windows to get some fresh air circulating, although I hear several neighbors have their AC running and it's noisy enough that I'll have to close the window to make a phone call at 11:30.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ozarkman417

It's a rainy morning but as a result the temperature is a pleasant 67 degrees. Southern MO just had a heatwave and my school district told my Cross Country team it was unsafe to practice in the afternoons, so we moved our practices to the morning temporarily.  I'm generally not a morning person, but the cooler weather was worth it.  :coffee: 

jakeroot

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 24, 2019, 11:14:00 AM
Glorious morning. After temperatures in the 90s all week, it was 63° when I got up this morning and it's still only 75° at 11:13. I set the AC to a higher temperature so it won't run and opened up some windows to get some fresh air circulating, although I hear several neighbors have their AC running and it's noisy enough that I'll have to close the window to make a phone call at 11:30.

My mother (up in Arlington) is particularly happy about this. Her AC up and quit last week, and she's been in misery since. Finally today, it's back down to a reasonable temperature. Good thing too, since I'll be back in DC this Monday, and I don't want to be sleeping in a sweatbox (and the new AC doesn't arrive until Wednesday, so the choice wouldn't be mine).

ET21

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 24, 2019, 07:36:18 AM
Doesn't change the fact that meteorologists' best guesses are still wrong an unacceptable amount of the time

The thing is, I don't believe this is true. I have yet to see evidence in support of this idea.

^this, please show data
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

ozarkman417

Mostly sunny, 80 degrees. Its cooler outside than it is inside because the AC is constantly disabled or broken down in my school.

SM-G965U

Rothman

Quote from: ET21 on August 26, 2019, 11:23:13 AM

^this, please show data
They couldn't get it right for 13 days while I was on vacation, like I said.

Predictions of snowfall in my area are also pretty lousy.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on August 26, 2019, 01:15:04 PM
Quote from: ET21 on August 26, 2019, 11:23:13 AM
^this, please show data
They couldn't get it right for 13 days while I was on vacation, like I said.
Predictions of snowfall in my area are also pretty lousy.

FWIW. (Warning: contains some relevant content, but also some political discussion).
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-media-has-a-probability-problem/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.