Proposed nationwide 65mph truck limit

Started by US 89, June 28, 2019, 08:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michravera

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 27, 2019, 09:42:43 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 27, 2019, 09:20:01 PM
That's not hazardous at all. Two vehicles and a line of cars behind them all going the same speed sounds quite safe to me. That's zero speed differential.
It is hazardous. You're forcing vehicles to slow down from the speed limit (70 - 75 mph) down to 65 mph sitting behind this truck having no way around. In theory, it's all safe, until you have impatient drivers tailgating and performing unsafe maneuvers, etc. Yes, those unsafe maneuvers may be illegal, but people will still do it (that's just a fact) and the likelihood of a wreck is a lot higher.

I've always been again speed differentials and I will continue to be. Many would agree. It's dangerous. That's just the fact of the matter.

Quote from: jakeroot on July 27, 2019, 09:20:01 PM
By promoting a single speed limit, you are ostensibly supporting all trucks going 70 or 75. But many states have governors for fuel or other reasons, so you'll still have a bunch of variation, which according to you:

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 27, 2019, 09:01:46 PM
is hazardous, and quite frankly should never happen.
Yes, I understand governs exist on some trucks nowadays, and states have slower speed limits (infamously California still having 55 mph for trucks, which is almost never obeyed). I don't agree with those either, but the trucks that aren't governed, the majority of states that don't have truck speed limits, and the independent truckers who aren't governed - they should be able to keep that and not be forced onto some universal truck speed limit system. That's my issue.
In Germany, trucks are simply not allowed on Autobahnen except at night. That simply won't fly in the US where we insist on same-day or next-day delivery from Amazon. Whenever possible, it would be ideal for trucks to have a separate roadway from other vehicles. The cost of that (except to avoid a lot of "trucks in the wrong lane" bypasses) is prohibitive. So, what can we do? Well, California gives trucks a lower maximum speed. I am not sure that it is necessary, but, it also restricts them to the right lane. That's the next best thing to giving them their own roadway. Cars mostly say out of the left lane when trucks are around. Trucks mostly stay out of the farther left lanes when cars are around. I'd like to see more tickets for trucks not in the right lane and I'd like to see more tickets for cars cutting off trucks and using the right lane to cut in.

But, as I have said before, we need to keep trucks moving and trucks need not to hold up the show for other vehicles. Trucks that can't go 70 MPH don't belong in a lane where cars can legally go that speed (and flow of traffic is often a good bit faster).

What I see on I-5 is that there are a large number of trucks in the right lane going 65-70MPH (in a 55 MPH max zone), just humming along trying to get their loads to the place where their loads belong and they become hindered by a truck (often fully loaded and possibly with some mildly hazardous materials) that barely is able to go 55MPH. So, the trucker gets annoyed as many of us would about Overloaded Overstock holding up the show. If I have to go 54 all of the way to Sacramento, it will take me more than an hour longer than I have allowed. The loaders will have gone home. I won't get a good seat in the poker game. My wife will have gone to work. I will miss Oprah. Whatever. So, trucker finds what looks to be a hole in the left lane stream and starts to move into it. Of course, within seconds, Fast Eddie (in his Viper) has closed the imaginary gap. Monster Mich and Joe Cool are right behind him and start to get annoyed even more so at Eddie for letting the trucker in and even before the trucker has moved all of the way into the left lane. Now, because Over has slowed the trucker down to 54 MPH, it takes a little while for trucker to get up to his normal 65-70 and he may even go just a bit faster to get the pass over with before Eddie, Joe, and Mich open fire on the trucker with automatic weapons, but the guy in front of Overstock hasn't yet seen the clear space, so trucker either has to pass him as well or has to wait while he creates the gap. In the two or three minutes that this takes, the left lane gets backed up in ripples all of the way back to the I-5/CASR-99 split.

kphoger

Quote from: michravera on August 25, 2019, 12:51:28 PM
In Germany, trucks are simply not allowed on Autobahnen except at night.

Umm.  That doesn't sound correct.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

CASR-99

Why do you use the "SR" abbreviation, in addition to "CA"? "CA" is equivalent to "US" or "I". Seems a little redundant.

I'm not trying to be picky, but I keep reading it as "casser" before I remember what it is you mean.

michravera

Quote from: jakeroot on August 25, 2019, 09:46:28 PM
CASR-99

Why do you use the "SR" abbreviation, in addition to "CA"? "CA" is equivalent to "US" or "I". Seems a little redundant.

I'm not trying to be picky, but I keep reading it as "casser" before I remember what it is you mean.

My tendency would be just to use "SR". But, not everyone lives in Calirfornia. Can I just use "CR-G4"? No, it has to be "SCCR-G4" or more properly "SCLCR-G4". Would you prefer "SCL-G4"?

I've seen Nevada DoT use CASR-89 (or maybe "CA SR 89") on VMS to refer to the road when it needs to warn motorists about stuff happening over on the California side.

jakeroot

Quote from: michravera on August 26, 2019, 10:29:41 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 25, 2019, 09:46:28 PM
CASR-99

My tendency would be just to use "SR". But, not everyone lives in Calirfornia. Can I just use "CR-G4"? No, it has to be "SCCR-G4" or more properly "SCLCR-G4". Would you prefer "SCL-G4"?

I've seen Nevada DoT use CASR-89 (or maybe "CA SR 89") on VMS to refer to the road when it needs to warn motorists about stuff happening over on the California side.

I think the county routes are a different situation that would call for something more unique (along the lines of your suggestion).

In the case of state routes, it's understood that "[state abbreviation-route number]" is the equivalent of "SR". When I'm talking about a WA state route with someone else from WA, I wouldn't likely write "WA-16", instead opting for "Hwy 16" or "SR-16". But I would use "WA-16" when talking to someone not from Washington; I could write "WASR-16" but "WA" is an equivalent to "SR". It would be like writing "SRSR-16".

I suspect those VMS signs likely used "CA SR" as separate words, primarily to distinguish from "NV SR" (if that's a term that's used), although I would still consider both redundant.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on August 25, 2019, 04:08:03 PM

Can anyone confirm that this is not actually true?  I remember trucks on the Autobahn during the day, but I haven't been there since the 1990s.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CNGL-Leudimin

There's Germany Jens to debunk that. He only drives during the (European) day, and I've seen him on the Autobahn.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on August 26, 2019, 01:58:50 PM

Can anyone confirm that this is not actually true?  I remember trucks on the Autobahn during the day, but I haven't been there since the 1990s.

Best I can do is Google Maps satellite view which shows trucks all over the place. For example:

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

michravera

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 26, 2019, 03:41:33 PM
Quote from: kphoger on August 26, 2019, 01:58:50 PM

Best I can do is Google Maps satellite view which shows trucks all over the place. For example:

Maybe I was told wrong. I've been to Germany but never drove there. It looks like the current ban for trucks is on SUNDAY day times.

US 89

In Germany, all vehicles over 7.5 metric tons are not allowed to operate from midnight to 10 PM on Sundays or public holidays, with a few exceptions. And in addition, during July and August some busier motorway sections ban trucks between 7 AM and 8 PM.

https://trans.info/en/bans-for-trucks-in-germany-in-2019-121175

kphoger

Quote from: US 89 on August 26, 2019, 06:26:36 PM
In Germany, all vehicles over 7.5 metric tons are not allowed to operate from midnight to 10 PM on Sundays or public holidays, with a few exceptions. And in addition, during July and August some busier motorway sections ban trucks between 7 AM and 8 PM.

https://trans.info/en/bans-for-trucks-in-germany-in-2019-121175

Edited for clarity.
Male pronouns, please.

Plutonic Panda

I'm against speed limits for trucks. They should go the same speed limit cars do at driver discretion. Now training on the other hand needs to be improved.

bugo

Quote from: froggie on July 01, 2019, 07:03:41 PM
Something none of you have considered regarding trucks, regulators, and truck speed:  fuel economy.  According to fleetowner.com, a truck traveling at 75 mph consumes 27% more fuel than one going 65 mph..  That's a huge difference, and is one big reason why most fleet vehicles have regulators and the industry as a whole supports regulators.
Is saving money on fuel worth the lives that will no doubt be lost?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bugo on August 29, 2019, 06:54:28 AM
Quote from: froggie on July 01, 2019, 07:03:41 PM
Something none of you have considered regarding trucks, regulators, and truck speed:  fuel economy.  According to fleetowner.com, a truck traveling at 75 mph consumes 27% more fuel than one going 65 mph..  That's a huge difference, and is one big reason why most fleet vehicles have regulators and the industry as a whole supports regulators.
Is saving money on fuel worth the lives that will no doubt be lost?

Being that regulators have been used for years, can you please tell us how many lives have been lost over the past several years to these regulators?

sprjus4

My recent drive on I-75, I-40, and I-81 in Tennessee and Virginia has really shown me maybe trucks do need limiters. I'm usually against these type of regulations, but with the amount of inexperienced drivers out there who think they could do 70+ mph through mountainous terrain and 65 mph speed limits, tailgating, micro-passing for miles, not maintaining lanes, swerving (all of which I saw on I-81, especially thru the mountain north of Christiansburg heading north), there needs to be some restriction.

One solution could to be restrict newer drivers who are more inexperienced to slower speeds, and take away the restrictions or bump it to 70 - 75 mph on the more experienced drivers, but the issue with that is owner-operator trucks.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 29, 2019, 03:32:36 PM
My recent drive on I-75, I-40, and I-81 in Tennessee and Virginia has really shown me maybe trucks do need limiters. I'm usually against these type of regulations, but with the amount of inexperienced drivers out there who think they could do 70+ mph through mountainous terrain and 65 mph speed limits, tailgating, micro-passing for miles, not maintaining lanes, swerving (all of which I saw on I-81, especially thru the mountain north of Christiansburg heading north), there needs to be some restriction.

One solution could to be restrict newer drivers who are more inexperienced to slower speeds, and take away the restrictions or bump it to 70 - 75 mph on the more experienced drivers, but the issue with that is owner-operator trucks.

I don't see how the solution resolves any of the issues you presented.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.