News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What pisses you off the worst:The I-69 mess in Texas or the I-73-74 clusterfuck?

Started by bugo, June 27, 2014, 12:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which pisses you off the most?

I-69W/69C/69E
37 (56.1%)
I-73/74
29 (43.9%)

Total Members Voted: 66

hbelkins

Quote from: cl94 on July 14, 2014, 08:37:28 PM
73/74 annoys me because, with relatively little effort, both could be extended up existing routes to Ohio and Michigan, yet neither has gotten out of North Carolina.

Quote from: Strider on July 14, 2014, 07:41:15 PM
I'm fine with I-73 routing (because once it is built and done, it will only go from Roanoke to Myrtle Beach)

If you all are waiting for I-73 to be built in Virginia, or both to be built in West Virginia, I hope you have plenty of decades to spare.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on July 14, 2014, 10:26:41 PM
73/74 annoys me because, with relatively little effort, both could be extended up existing routes to Ohio and Michigan, yet neither has gotten out of North Carolina.

I'm fine with I-73 routing (because once it is built and done, it will only go from Roanoke to Myrtle Beach)

If you all are waiting for I-73 to be built in Virginia, or both to be built in West Virginia, I hope you have plenty of decades to spare.

I-73 won't have more than a couple miles up there for 50 years, if not more. North Carolina will get it to the border within the next couple decades and Virginia will do nothing for a couple more. Same with I-74. How long ago was the Smart Road extension/ Future I-73 supposed to be built?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Brandon

And Ohio and Michigan just don't give a shit about I-73.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

cl94

Quote from: Brandon on July 15, 2014, 10:18:34 PM

And Ohio and Michigan just don't give a shit about I-73.

Yep. Even though their stretches are closest to Interstate quality. We might see it up near the Great Lakes in the next 2 centuries.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

WashuOtaku

Quote from: cl94 on July 14, 2014, 10:40:20 PM
I-73 won't have more than a couple miles up there for 50 years, if not more. North Carolina will get it to the border within the next couple decades and Virginia will do nothing for a couple more. Same with I-74. How long ago was the Smart Road extension/ Future I-73 supposed to be built?

I-73, in North Carolina, will be complete within the next decade, not in several.  Construction is currently along both ends of I-73 now, leaving only three segments still yet to start:  US 220 to US 74, I-74 to state line (to be built by SCDOT), and the Madison-Mayoden area, where its already at expressway grade.

vdeane

Key words in your post: North Carolina.  Every other state can't be bothered with I-73 or I-74, so the roads will remain incomplete outside of NC for essentially forever.  West Virginia's segment of I-74 is being built, but not as a freeway.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Strider

I don't care if I won't live to see I-73 being full built across VA, NC and SC, at least that's the only interstate I am fine with. I don't see why there is I-73 hate.... if the interstate is off the numbering grid, so what? I am sure there are some that are off the numbering grid. Again, so what? we can complain about stuff we want, keep in mind that we are not the ones who create interstates. As long as it connects from point A to point B, problem solved, and if the number happens to be I-73, I-69, I-74 or any number. Live with it.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Strider on July 17, 2014, 09:14:53 PM
I don't care if I won't live to see I-73 being full built across VA, NC and SC, at least that's the only interstate I am fine with. I don't see why the I-73 hate.... if the interstate is off the numbering grid, so what? we can complain about stuff we want, keep in mind that we are not the ones who create interstates.

73 is not the problem. 74 is.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Strider

Quote from: 1 on July 17, 2014, 09:16:14 PM
Quote from: Strider on July 17, 2014, 09:14:53 PM
I don't care if I won't live to see I-73 being full built across VA, NC and SC, at least that's the only interstate I am fine with. I don't see why the I-73 hate.... if the interstate is off the numbering grid, so what? we can complain about stuff we want, keep in mind that we are not the ones who create interstates.

73 is not the problem. 74 is.

I don't like the 74 routing either, there is nothing we can do about it. There will be 2 separate I-74s.

hbelkins

The route numbers are more out of place than I-99, for one thing.

Another is the discontinuous nature of I-74, since there will never be a freeway connection between Cincinnati and Mt. Airy.

Also, the fact that there is no need for an interstate between Greensboro and Roanoke; US 220 serves the purpose just fine as a four-lane surface route. Neither is there a need for a new route between Roanoke and Blacksburg/Christiansburg, I-81 and US 460 serve the purpose.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.