Stuff on Old TV That Would Not Be Allowed Today

Started by roadman65, July 08, 2017, 10:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Not so much "not allowed on TV today"  as "largely inaccurate today,"  but I just watched Rob Petrie ask Laura to remember her wedding vow to love, honor, and obey.

cpzilliacus

In Living Color, which aired on FoX-TV in its early days, had plenty of non-PC content. 

The late former Mayor-for-Life of the District of Columbia, Marion Shepilov Barry, Jr. was featured in this video.  Likely non-PC now.

And Minister Louis Farrakhan of the Nation of Islam was torched (along with Star Trek) here.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

dvferyance

Richard Dawson kissing women on Family Fued.

roadman65

In Season one of Family Ties, Alex P. Keaton (who was only 17 in character on the program) slept with a woman older than 18 years of age.  With the whole sex crimes thing nowadays (as even on Law & Order SVU they have older teens being charged with sex crimes for sleeping with younger teens being forced to register as offenders) that would not be allowed by any network.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Two days ago a rerun of Archie Bunker's Place was on. It featured the episode of when Archie had a gay waiter in the first season.  There was a line in it that  had "He's going to turn our bar and grill into a fairyland" said by Caroll O' Connor' character the famous Archie Bunker.

Now not only would that be allowed, but totally irrelivant as even most on the political right and born again types look at the lifestyle in a more serious (not funny) manner.  I laughed at it when first aired decades ago, but when I heard it this past week I did not think its so funny anymore.

Sheryl Crowe

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman65 on August 13, 2018, 11:21:33 AM
Two days ago a rerun of Archie Bunker's Place was on. It featured the episode of when Archie had a gay waiter in the first season.  There was a line in it that  had "He's going to turn our bar and grill into a fairyland" said by Caroll O' Connor' character the famous Archie Bunker.

Now not only would that be allowed, but totally irrelivant as even most on the political right and born again types look at the lifestyle in a more serious (not funny) manner.  I laughed at it when first aired decades ago, but when I heard it this past week I did not think its so funny anymore.
At the time it was probably considered progressive because they acknowledged that the character was gay.

We were watching a Webster rerun the other day that included the following exchange:

"I thought he was Oriental!"
"No, he was just squinting."

US71

Charlie Chan would likely have to be re-tooled given it was a White man in the role and affirmed stereotypes of the day.

Hop Sing from Bonanza would also have to be re-imagined as his character was rather stereotypical.

Kato from the Green Hornet started out mostly as the Karate expert and chauffeur, until Bruce Lee requested his character be given more to do.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadman65

Quote from: abefroman329 on August 13, 2018, 12:25:55 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on August 13, 2018, 11:21:33 AM

At the time it was probably considered progressive because they acknowledged that the character was gay.

We were watching a Webster rerun the other day that included the following exchange:

“I thought he was Oriental!”
“No, he was just squinting.”
Previously on All In The Family there was an episode that acknowledged homosexuality.  The one where Archie thought that Meathead's friend Roger was gay, due to his flamboyant demeanor, but it turned out Archie's old time buddy was the one who was really gay while Roger was straight.

I think Lear wanted to show that looks can be deceiving and used that to prove that not all effeminine men are homosexuals and that all straight looking guys could really not be as straight as they look.

Sheryl Crowe

bing101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y881yjtFluQ

Here is a good Disney Cartoon but its more real though its about the effects gentrification and this cartoon is still true today.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: bing101 on November 04, 2018, 06:16:44 PM

Here is a good Disney Cartoon but its more real though its about the effects gentrification and this cartoon is still true today.

It reminds me of another cartoon with a similar pattern but this time with a car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qktRLlWh8gE

bing101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtDYEkXwzVk

Here's one parody that Disney Did Recently on their show. Mickey Mouse did a parody of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition that used to air a decade ago on Disney's ABC Primetime lineup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9WE-7DTmCw

I don't think ABC or Disney would allow the Mickey Mouse cartoon episode to happen if Extreme Makeover: Home Edition was still under contract. 

kphoger

Quote from: bing101 on November 05, 2018, 11:00:57 AM
Here's one parody that Disney Did Recently on their show. Mickey Mouse did a parody of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition that used to air a decade ago on Disney's ABC Primetime lineup.

I don't think ABC or Disney would allow the Mickey Mouse cartoon episode to happen if Extreme Makeover: Home Edition was still under contract. 

That's a unique turn on the topic:  Stuff today that would not be allowed on old TV.   :-P
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on November 05, 2018, 01:37:30 PM
Quote from: bing101 on November 05, 2018, 11:00:57 AM

That's a unique turn on the topic:  Stuff today that would not be allowed on old TV.   :-P
(1) Black people and white people drinking from the same drinking fountain.

abefroman329

Quote from: bing101 on November 04, 2018, 06:16:44 PM

Considering the copyright date, it's probably more accurate to say that it's anti-urban renewal as opposed to anti-gentrification. 

PHLBOS

Thread bump:

Compilation of actual old TV commercials, mostly from the 1960s but some are from the late 70s as well, that would likely not be aired today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66mQz44pPY4
GPS does NOT equal GOD

RobbieL2415

Quote from: dvferyance on August 07, 2018, 04:43:24 PM
They REALLY didn't like it when he would kiss black women, supposedly.

abefroman329

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on March 08, 2019, 12:45:42 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on August 07, 2018, 04:43:24 PM
They REALLY didn't like it when he would kiss black women, supposedly.
Who's "they"?

PHLBOS

Quote from: bing101 on March 09, 2019, 11:40:35 PMYes using a Red hat these days would somehow end up being controversial if Jason Mraz were to air his first music video today on TV. Note this song and video was on VH1 back in 2003-2004.

But back then a red hat didn't have the political controversies that it has in the past 3 years tough for obvious reasons.
IMHO, you're seriously overreaching in your above-post.  Many baseball teams use red hats (Phillies & Red Sox being two of them).  I have never heard of someone wearing a red sports team's hat being yelled at and/or assaulted for wearing such... unless they were in a rival team's territory and even such are rare, isolated & usually involve excessive alcohol consumption.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bing101

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 11, 2019, 12:35:02 PM
Quote from: bing101 on March 09, 2019, 11:40:35 PMYes using a Red hat these days would somehow end up being controversial if Jason Mraz were to air his first music video today on TV. Note this song and video was on VH1 back in 2003-2004.

But back then a red hat didn't have the political controversies that it has in the past 3 years tough for obvious reasons.
IMHO, you're seriously overreaching in your above-post.  Many baseball teams use red hats (Phillies & Red Sox being two of them).  I have never heard of someone wearing a red sports team's hat being yelled at and/or assaulted for wearing such... unless they were in a rival team's territory and even such are rare, isolated & usually involve excessive alcohol consumption.

True though.

In_Correct

That old The Little House cartoon, complete with the clown faces, is about Anti-Urban-Renewal.

But what about all those other links to videos with no thumbnail on them. What is the title?
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: In_Correct on June 12, 2019, 10:14:42 PM
That old The Little House cartoon, complete with the clown faces, is about Anti-Urban-Renewal.

But what about all those other links to videos with no thumbnail on them. What is the title?

The video with no thumbnail, was "Susie the little blue coupe"(1952) made around the same era featuring the little house.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTF6v3ejaJQ

roadman65

Tom and Jerry.  The pool hall cartoon where Jerry uses the score wire to launch a mechanical bridge to fire at Tom.  Of course like always Tom changes physical shape as the cartoon's running gag throughout its entire run, but Tom swallows the handle of the bridge with the actual bridge stuck in his mouth altering his face to look like a doofus.  Being that he said "Uh duh a duh a duh" could in today's world be considered picking on the mentally challenged.

Sheryl Crowe

US71

I don't have all the details handy, but Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer has had a few things changed/edited out over the years.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

GaryV

Quote from: US71 on December 16, 2019, 06:36:44 PM
I don't have all the details handy, but Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer has had a few things changed/edited out over the years.

And yet a lot of the sexism remains.

Max Rockatansky

Somehow I don't think the Sonic Sez regarding "everyone loves getting hugs from someone they like"  would really fly in this era of PC kids programming.  Come to think of it how much of the old school PSA culture (especially regarding drugs) would fly these days?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.