News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Notification spam

Started by SSOWorld, August 12, 2018, 09:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

How far is too far?

DISCLAIMER: Below are a few items that I know people do look forward to, but to me are pointless clickbait.

Here's my list of pointless notifications in Facebook:
* Someone posted for the first time in a while
* You and X have been friends for # year! (This comes up in the Messenger notification.  First thought? I have a new message - realization? oh what is this shit? - pure clickbait!)
* You accept a new friend request.  Messenger notifies you that you are now connected? NO SHIT SHERLOCK!
* A page near you did X.

Simple solutions? Turn off notifications.  Hah right, better quit Facebook - cause there's no way to turn them off except by single post only if they don't involve you.

Thoughts?  Who likes these?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

abefroman329

The friendiversaries are cute.

vdeane

FBPurity helps with that for the personal ones.  I think there might be some official settings buried somewhere too.  The ones that really annoy me are the nagging ones for pages, such as "X people haven't heard from you in a while" and suggestions to boost a post.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

I primarily only use my Facebook now to link over highway articles.  To that end the only one of the above I've personally seen is "connected to messenger."   Seems like Facebook is pretty pushy trying to get people to participate for even the slightest things.  I usually get something like 20 people I may know a day.  I'm convinced service doesn't think I have enough people on my friends list. 

SSOWorld

One of these days I'd like to have the number be removed from browser tabs.  I had hidden Messenger, but the phantom (1) led me to it anyway.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

renegade

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 12, 2018, 09:05:15 AMHah right, better quit Facebook - cause there's no way to turn them off.
I got out when I discovered that there was no switch to turn off the stupid.  I don't see myself going back anytime soon, either.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

jon daly

I rarely go to Twitter, but I get an email from them several times a day letting me know what user I follow have tweeted or letting me know about a moment. I also get spam from LinkedIn.

jon daly

Frankly, it isn't too often that I get email from an actual human that interests me. If the ones from people are usually announcements regarding groups I have a loose tie with. I just let them collect. I think that I'm up to almost 7,000 unread emails. Less than ten years ago, I was orderly and categorized all my email into different folders, but I gave up when it got too time consuming.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jon daly on August 17, 2018, 03:04:16 PM
Frankly, it isn't too often that I get email from an actual human that interests me. If the ones from people are usually announcements regarding groups I have a loose tie with. I just let them collect. I think that I'm up to almost 7,000 unread emails. Less than ten years ago, I was orderly and categorized all my email into different folders, but I gave up when it got too time consuming.

I have them automatically sort.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

abefroman329

Quote from: jon daly on August 17, 2018, 02:59:05 PM
I rarely go to Twitter, but I get an email from them several times a day letting me know what user I follow have tweeted or letting me know about a moment.
Me too. Doesn't make me want to go there any more frequently. Wretched hive of scum and villainy.

jon daly

Too, I've noticed over time that people try to use it more and more for longer communications than it was meant for and I find the threads hard to follow.

I have issues with this type of forum, but it is the best kind that I've seen since 15 years ago or so years ago. I forget who offered it, but there was a free hosting service back in the Web 1.0 days that I loved. It was something similar to Reddit, but you had to click on each post if you wanted to see it and could ignore ones by posters you didn't want to read.

tchafe1978

Quote from: abefroman329 on August 12, 2018, 10:54:42 AM

Is there anybody else who reads "friendversary" as rhyming with "adversary" and not "anniversary"?

jon daly

Boardhost! That was the name of the free hosting service.

webny99

Quote from: tchafe1978 on August 17, 2018, 03:39:25 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on August 12, 2018, 10:54:42 AM

Is there anybody else who reads "friendversary" as rhyming with "adversary" and not "anniversary"?

It actually does, if you drop the "i".

Duke87

Another good one is "{person} is raising money for a charitable cause".

If not for FBPurity providing the sweet, sweet ability to hide this bullshit so I never see it (on desktop at least - it's unfortunately not possible on mobile), I might have started blocking people who decided it was okay to harass me in my living room with their digital panhandling.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Duke87 on August 20, 2018, 07:39:11 PM
Another good one is "{person} is raising money for a charitable cause".

If not for FBPurity providing the sweet, sweet ability to hide this bullshit so I never see it (on desktop at least - it's unfortunately not possible on mobile), I might have started blocking people who decided it was okay to harass me in my living room with their digital panhandling.
FBPurity does not protect against the Messenger notifications on the desktop site.  You still get the number count in the tab due to the combined FB and Messenger notification even if you hide the icon or left side item via purity.  I don't use messenger at all, It's very likely that FB realizes that and they use these pointless notifications to get me to use it.  I click and leave. (Clickbait).

Side note: The developer of FBPurity seems to be winding down from exhaustion from fighting the FB techs who keep changing the algorithm and site to fight him.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.