News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

KY 9 relocation in Newport

Started by iBallasticwolf2, July 10, 2015, 09:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iBallasticwolf2

In Newport, Kentucky KY-9 will be relocated two blocks west of the existing road on a new alingment.
http://www.nkythrives.com/features/ky-route-9-improvements-042514.aspx
Construction has already started and is planned to be finished in 2017.
It is supposed to give economic benefits which is good although I would think this should be tied in with a rebuild of the aging Fourth Street Bridge.
It also mentions the two planned roundabouts in Newport.

Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

hbelkins

How I wish my home state would get over this infatuation with roundabouts.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

This is one road project that is both unneeded and very unpopular. A main purpose of this project isn't even transportation-related: It's so they could tear down a block of public housing (which is not being replaced elsewhere).

Luckily, some local bicyclists lobbied to include a bike lane, but that's probably the only good thing about this project.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hbelkins

Quote from: bandit957 on July 10, 2015, 11:57:37 PM
This is one road project that is both unneeded and very unpopular. A main purpose of this project isn't even transportation-related: It's so they could tear down a block of public housing (which is not being replaced elsewhere).

That's not a goal or purpose of road-building, and you know it. Although if it was a particularly unsavory or blighted public housing project, it probably did the community a favor to remove it.

Looks like the main purpose is to improve connectivity to downtown for AA Highway traffic and also from I-275. The old KY 9 wasn't exactly a speedy route from 275 into the riverfront area.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: hbelkins on July 11, 2015, 10:59:24 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on July 10, 2015, 11:57:37 PM

That's not a goal or purpose of road-building, and you know it. Although if it was a particularly unsavory or blighted public housing project, it probably did the community a favor to remove it.

Looks like the main purpose is to improve connectivity to downtown for AA Highway traffic and also from I-275. The old KY 9 wasn't exactly a speedy route from 275 into the riverfront area.

It is faster and considering it connects with the Taylor-Southgate bridge it actually does have some usage for speed for people looking to get to downtown Newport and Cincinnati quicker. I'm not sure what will happen with the roundabouts. Hopefully KYDOT doesn't end up like WisconsinDOT.

GCrites

I drank the roundabout Kool-Aid. I think they work really well in a variety of situations, especially busy former T-intersections.

froggie

Quote from: hbelkinsHow I wish my home state would get over this infatuation with roundabouts.

How I wish you'd get over your distaste of them.

They're here.  The numbers show they work, even if idiot drivers can't understand them, but that speaks far more to the idiot driver than it does the roundabout.  Time to get over it.

iBallasticwolf2

This might be getting OT but I would love to see the AA highway designation extended from I-275 along this new bypass up to US 27 and have it follow the Taylor-Southgate bridge into Downtown Cincinnati where the designation could end right as the Taylor-Southgate bridge ends. I would think the low rail overpass would have to be dealt with first.

Also, does anyone know what the speed limit on the new bypass will be?

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on July 11, 2015, 10:59:24 PM
That's not a goal or purpose of road-building, and you know it.

Sometimes it absolutely is. There is a road in New Haven, Connecticut, that was built in the '50s or '60s for that very purpose.

bandit957

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 13, 2015, 07:26:23 PM
This might be getting OT but I would love to see the AA highway designation extended from I-275 along this new bypass up to US 27 and have it follow the Taylor-Southgate bridge into Downtown Cincinnati where the designation could end right as the Taylor-Southgate bridge ends.

They probably will extend the AA designation all the way to the end of KY 9.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on July 13, 2015, 07:02:57 PM
Quote from: hbelkinsHow I wish my home state would get over this infatuation with roundabouts.

They're here.  The numbers show they work, even if idiot drivers can't understand them, but that speaks far more to the idiot driver than it does the roundabout.  Time to get over it.

Unfortunately, we're flush with idiot drivers.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: hbelkins on July 14, 2015, 04:23:19 PM

Agreed.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: bandit957 on July 14, 2015, 02:05:17 PM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 13, 2015, 07:26:23 PM
This might be getting OT but I would love to see the AA highway designation extended from I-275 along this new bypass up to US 27 and have it follow the Taylor-Southgate bridge into Downtown Cincinnati where the designation could end right as the Taylor-Southgate bridge ends.

They probably will extend the AA designation all the way to the end of KY 9.

I would think they would need to modify that rail overpass because it is very low and maybe fix up the viaduct while they're at it. Not sure how it could be possible to keep the existing viaduct and the existing rail overpass but make better clearence for KY 9. Maybe make the railway have a grade upwards and/or make the KY 9 grade more than the current amount?

GCrites

Quote from: hbelkins on July 14, 2015, 04:23:19 PM

It's kind of a chicken or egg situation though. How are people supposed to get good with roundabouts if there aren't any?

iBallasticwolf2

Here's the first evidence of construction on the new bypass.
KY 9 by iBallasticwolf2, on Flickr
Photo taken at KY 9 and Lowell Street intersection.

iBallasticwolf2

I haven't updated this thread in a while, but multiple things have happened since my last post.

A section of the new road has opened with 1 lane each way from 9th street to 12th street.

Additionally, the section between US 27 and KY 8 is being built, and the two roundabouts are being built.

KY 8 and new KY 9 roundabout construction

US 27 and new KY 9 roundabout construction

So far none of the public housing has been torn down.  I'm not sure when it will be torn down, but it will have to be torn down eventually.
http://local12.com/news/local/residents-question-relocation-offers-for-ky-route-9-project

iBallasticwolf2

I managed to go around the construction area near Newport on the Levee, and considerable progress is being made on the segment of KY 9 between US 27 and KY 8.

The roundabout at KY 8 is very far along, and will likely be able to be done/usable by October (at least according to google maps).  I imagine that KY 8 will need to be closed for a few weeks at some point in order to lay the new concrete between the approach to the 4th Street Bridge (one day that's going to need replacement to) and the roundabout itself, as well as the road splitting back into two-one way streets after the roundabout.

The roundabout at US 27 is about 3/4 complete, and two-way traffic is already being routed along the complete section to get to the Taylor-Southgate Bridge.  The actual pavement of KY 9 between US 27 and KY 8 is basically complete except for at KY 8 itself where the road traffic is currently using is blocking the way.  The 3rd street access from the roundabout doesn't have all of the pavement complete and the part of the roundabout not complete is still dirt.  According to google maps, the roundabout should be complete by August 6th, when the 3rd Street turnoff will be opened, but the KY 9 alignment will likely continue to be closed until the KY 8 roundabout is complete.

Otherwise, there does not appear to be any visible progress toward tearing down the project buildings to build the section between KY 8 and 9th Street. It will likely be the last part of this to be complete, likely by the end of the year or possibly even by the spring of next year?

dvferyance

They don't work everywhere the ones in New Berlin WI have been a nightmare. My big issue with them is they cost much more than intersections with stop signs.

frankenroad

Anyone have an idea when this project will be complete?   I could not find any recent updates on the KYTC website.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.